Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #21

Pepsi and Beer cartons

Save the cardboard cartons that Pepsi and beer come in. Cut them down about 1/4 below the top of the cans. Pepsi cartons hold 4 and beer hold 6 cans.
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #22

We have a Cedar Creek 33IK. We do nothing but open the fridge door with caution. We have towed this 5th wheel for over 6 years, probably over 40K miles and on some really bad roads. Only occasionally has anything fallen out of the fridge. Now we pack the fridge with that in mind, donít put a large glass container on top shelf, etc.

As far as dishes, again we do nothing. It may be how our 5th wheel is layer out but in the 6 years of travel we have never had anything break.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #23
3boxerss

I have the tension bars in fridge & freezer . Also in my upper cabinets as I had a can come out when opening the door and hit my toe...I purchased the double fridge bars but also the shortest cheap tensions rods in Walmarts curtain section work too.. The microwave usually has buns and bread in it tho I do get lots of uses out of pool noodles.. My eggs are out of the shell and stored in washed out Gatorade or other wide mouthed plastic bottle so the yolks arent broken..

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:02 AM   #24

We also use bins and small tension curtain rods in the pantry to keep things from moving around.

2018 Cherokee Limited 274DBH (2020- )
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS (2017-2020)
1992(?) Coleman Newport pop up (2000-2006)
2018 Nissan Titan SV
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #25

Refrigerator Bars

Google Camco refrigerator bars. Sold at Home Depot and Amazon.
Gumby1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #26

Packing materials

The bubble wrap that comes in shipped packages works well for frig, cupboards and probably microwave. We don't have an issue with microwave because we removed ours and made open shelving. We boondock so never need it.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #27

You received a lot of good advise and all are viable. I use the CAMCO tension bars for Frig, Freezer, Cabinets, and Pantry with anti skid mats and nothing moves and a quieter trip. I also use the noodles for the slides out edges to save my thick head, but I did learn today the use in the microwave. Checkout Amazon if you don't want to travel to the stores, especially during this pandemic. Be well and safe out there. Happy Camping.
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
They make spring loaded bars for the inside of the frig to hold things in and we always put all our bread, extra towels in the micro to keep plate from bouncing around.
In the microwave, extra towels is good but something that also works is to
cut off a piece of water float tubs. Cut to a snug fit and place upright in microwave. they're cheap ($2-$3) and works great for us, even on very bumpy roads. But your extra towels is cheaper considering you already are taking them anyway. The spring bars work great in the refer to keep things on the shelves. Available at most camping stores and at Amazon. Very cheap.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #29
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We had been traveling for almost 3 years and we don’t do anything to the microwave glass tray and as far as the refrigerator, we open it carefully on the road or on arrival. We have a little space saver rack to stack our Corelle dishes and Velcro that up. Nothing has broken.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
The bubble wrap that comes in shipped packages works well for frig, cupboards and probably microwave. We don't have an issue with microwave because we removed ours and made open shelving. We boondock so never need it.
We have a small fridge and stuff the empty space with (small bubble) bubble wrap. Works well, weighs nothing, costs nothing, and does not absorb any moisture. We remove the microwave plate and put it in the pantry with towels.
86Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #31

We use the Camco tension bars also: in the fridge, pantry (cabinet we CALL a pantry), cupboards to keep dishes in place, etc. and pool noodles also: microwave, around drink ware, etc. We also use plastic bins from Dollar Tree or Walmart in the fridge. I pack the bins in categories: sandwich stuff in one, maybe everything for a given meal in another, or cheese & snacks, yogurt, small jars, etc. For the freezer, I get rid of all excess packaging, portion & seal in vacuum bags, and freeze flat. Itís amazing how much better things fit in the freezer that way, and less sliding around. Also, we turn on fridge/freezer to pre-chill and fill our ice bin with ice before we leave (it doesnít melt during a 6-8 hour drive time, even with fridge off). The weight in the ice bin helps with the side-to-side motion of the contents. Lastly, we still use an egg carrier from tent camping days to carry a dozen eggs per carrier. The carrier/s ride in the produce drawer; weíve never had a cracked egg yet (knocking on wood real fast)!

On the return trip, consolidate as much as possible, removing space and leaving full shelves empty to the extent possible, as previously mentioned.

For the microwave, we also pack into it. After centering the cut pool noodle vertically to stabilize the plate, everything from the sink/stove/table areas store inside: napkin holder, salt & pepper, spoon rest, hot pads, spray oil, small dish soap bottle, etc; sometimes rolls or buns too. All held in place with a short tension rod placed horizontally in the door frame of the nuker.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #32

I also use the spring bars. In addition I found the blue camco refrigerator braces to also be useful.

https://www.campingworld.com/fridge-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dividends View Post
Evening, how do folks keep the items in your refrigerator from sliding back and forth or side to side while traveling? Do not want to open the door and have items fall to the floor.

Also same question on the glass plate in the microwave. Iím not trying to make rocket science out of having fun just thinking ahead. Thank you for the help.
I use things like this https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/pdp/rebrilliant-benefield-refrigerator-and-freezer-organizer-bins-rebr5392.html

And towels if needed.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #34

We originally took out the crispers and replaced them with clear plastic bins the same size that way when we want, lets say vegetables, we pull out the vegetable bin, get what we want and put the bin back. The plastic bins were just easier to handle than the hard crispers. It worked so well we put plastic bins on all the shelves. By placing like items, say meats, in one bin while putting condiments, glass bottles or whatever in the others. Again, we just pull out the bin containing what we want and replace it. Quick in and out without leaving the door open long while we look around. If something breaks it is in the bin...no more spills running down into the next shelf. Nothing falls out of the refrigerator any more. Works for us.
bearscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 PM   #35

Microwave turntable

I got this idea from someone else. Cut a pool noodle to place in the microwave to keep the turntable in place while traveling. Have used this 2 years and works great.
dmayo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:35 PM   #36

I buy little cloth storage containers at Dollar Tree. They tend not to slide as much as the plastic ones. Although with the plastic ones, you can put shelf liner down and they wonít slide. I also cram a lot of things in the vegetable drawers and the cheese/meet drawer. The side pockets on the doors are crammed full as well leaving very little on the shelves. We have a residential fridge.
LaLaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #37

For the fridge we use something like this: EasyLiner Select Grip Shelf Liner.
Available at Walmart. The material is not solid, it does have many openings so air can circulate.

As long as you don't have bottles laying on their side it works well.
dfragazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #38

As to the fridge, we do as most have said they do by stacking everything as tight as we can on as few shelves as possible. If we have a partial shelf we will use a towel or roll of paper towels.

For the microwave turn table, we use our mini collapsible garbage bin. Place it on top and let the spring tension hold it down. My wife is how you say "vertically challenged" so having to try and line the plate grooves up with the gear in the bottom was frustrating her. 2 years and no issues.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dividends View Post
Evening, how do folks keep the items in your refrigerator from sliding back and forth or side to side while traveling? Do not want to open the door and have items fall to the floor.

Also same question on the glass plate in the microwave. Iím not trying to make rocket science out of having fun just thinking ahead. Thank you for the help.
My wife found plastic bins for the refrigerator to place all the ketchups, Mayo, relish and other items in that like to move around and wonít have room to fit in the door shelves.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #40

Microwave

In the microwave we store our coffee maker with the carafe wrapped in one of our kitchen towels.
Dpettit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator