Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Straight Talk

Anyone use Straight Talk wireless?
It is seems to be through Walmart.
$35 to $45 per month. Walmart is running a special Galaxy J7 Crown for $99.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Nope.

Just got Spectrum.

Same price for their phones. Service(phone and text)is free per month. You pay $14 a gig for data or $45 a month for unlimited.

I use a half a gig for music in the car. $14. We can change to unlimited during the travel season. Then back again after our long vacations.

But, you have to have cable tv or internet with them.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

Be careful using Straight Talk. I tried them last year with my own phone and was very unhappy with their service. So I decided to quit them and go with another service after two months. When I tried to switch ST would not release my phone. They said that I had to be with them for 12 months continually before I could transfer my phone to another service. I had to contact the FCC to get ST to finally release my phone for me to go with another service. I will never use ST again for any reason. Remember this was a phone that I owned outright not one that I got from ST or any other service. Also when I first went with ST I was told that I was not sighing any contract and that I could quit at any time. I got my service through Wal-Mart. Just be sure what you are getting if you decide to go with them. The service and support was horrible.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Read what "Tom's Guide" has to say about Straight Talk and see for yourself if it's a good deal.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/straigh...view-4368.html

Yes, it runs on the Verizon network but no international service (Canada? Mexico?). Also, service is supposed to be limited to areas on the coverage map only which I take to mean "no roaming". That could be problematic in some areas when traveling. Verizon customers as well as many other plan users have roaming service and it's transparent. You don't know when you are obtaining service from a non Verizon tower. If no roaming service, you just don't have anything at all.

In short, inexpensive plans are inexpensive for a reason. You don't get all the service the other plans provide. With Straight Talk no 4g or LTE, just 3g service. If you are expecting reasonable speed for internet connections, you may be disappointed.

FWIW, I use Consumer Cellular and it provides all I need and has served me well on the road with signal anywhere anyone else has signal.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

I had Straight Talk for around 4 years with the bring your own phone plan. I had an unlocked phone and I was on the ATT system with Straight Talk. For the most part it was fine and when I witched to Google FI, there was no issue releasing the phone.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

I've had Straight talk for years. Another good one is Total Wireless. As with any byop company there are some glitches here and there. I almost always get a good signal anywhere you get Verizon. Is it as fast as Verizon LTE, probably not, but I'm spending less than half so I'm happy.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I had Straight Talk for around 4 years with the bring your own phone plan. I had an unlocked phone and I was on the ATT system with Straight Talk. For the most part it was fine and when I witched to Google FI, there was no issue releasing the phone.
+2...same situation here except I was on the Verizon system...no problems at all with ST...4G LTE. And, like babock, I also switched to Google Fi but I got a brand new Motorola G6 from Fi for $99 which included a free month of Fi service...and have been very happy since.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

We have had Alltel service, which sold out to AT&T, then we went to Verizon. We switched to Straighttalk about 6 years ago and have had nothing but great service. We live in the Appalachian (Apple at chun) Mountains in SW Virginia and have great service. We have travelled throughout the east coast and have had service in all of those areas EXCEPT Eastern Kentucky. There are very few phones that have service there if they don't have a specific localized service.

We have two young teen daughters who are very active on their phones and we have 25G of data and we do have 4G service. I have no idea where the other posted indicated they only got 3G service. Unless I am watching a video, I don't really need the 4G, but I have it.

Straighttalk around here works on the Verizon platform, but I know that it is different in other areas.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #9

Had Straight Talk for several years when I was working. I'm not sure how it works now but they wouldn't allow tethering. On Verizon network occasionally it would tell me that it was roaming but normally very good service. Tech support was usually a long wait.

We switched to Tracfone last year (same company) Using LG phones that we purchased and use on their bring your own phone program.

Works very well in our area Central US. No complaints really We add airtime online as we need it, We feel that it works well enough that we don't have a landline. With the Tracfone we can teher to our laptop.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #10

tmobile 60$ total monthly (70$ is you dont use auto pay) no contract for two lines umlimited talk, text, internet. but ya got to be a elder to get it....

whether you go there or not watch the ytube video it is excellent. unlimited55: 2 lines of T-Mobile
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #11

I used a straight talk phone for my hunting property. We all have ATT and that was a dead zone, so I bought a pay-as-you-go on T mobile for $60. We don't have that hunting lease anymore so I don't need it. The phone did what I needed. We had 120 minutes of talk, and unlimited text. All we needed for emergencies. They have unlimited plans. Just make sure you have coverage on the network you purchase.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

A lot of 'who provides the best wireless service' depends on where you are.

Out here in the wild, wild west Verizon is about the only cell service around.

Everyone else has very spotty service at best.

Here in Yuma, AZ...T-Mobile and ATT are the absolute worst!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
A lot of 'who provides the best wireless service' depends on where you are.

Out here in the wild, wild west Verizon is about the only cell service around.

Everyone else has very spotty service at best.

Here in Yuma, AZ...T-Mobile and ATT are the absolute worst!
John, we've used our T-Mobile 55+ plan in El Centro, Yuma, Tucson, Surprise and Casa Grande. Had great coverage in all of those areas.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
John, we've used our T-Mobile 55+ plan in El Centro, Yuma, Tucson, Surprise and Casa Grande. Had great coverage in all of those areas.
My Google FI works great because its a combo of t-mobile and Sprint. It works better than both ATT and Verizon near our vacation homes in Lake Tahoe and Big Bear Lake. Worked great at Anza Borrego a few weeks ago when we were camping there. Of course when using at the houses, the phone can use WiFi for all of its calling.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote