Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #41

That's why I'm glad my KZ has the Global locks and keys. Double sided keys. Anyone trying to open the locks, even with a Global key has about a 1 in 100 chance of it being the same key.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #42

In 40 years of camping never had that problem but I seen things changing not for the good. 1 thing I was sitting with my 2 husky's 1 on each side of my chair a young lady about 35 says to me do they bite and I said no then she walked right in the middle of my site to the other side. Now on I will reply yes they will leave it at that.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #43

GW1800 - If you have Global keys I would suspect your locker key is G391 which is there standard locker key (greyish in colour). The door key is purple and there are 90 different keys.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Can you tell me what a “trail am” is?
trail cam with a missing "C"
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #45
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Can you tell me what a “trail am” is?
I believe they are referring to a "Trail Cam(era)" or Game Camera. A Battery powered camera triggered by movement detected by an infrared sensor.

I highly recommend the Browning models. I originally had a Browning and it worked very well until it stopped sensing. Tried other brands, but none worked as well as the Browning for sensitivity and photo quality. They can have lots of features including uploading photos using a built-in cell service upload. The batteries last for quite a while. We have one outside our bedroom window that has been up since early this year. On a 32 GB memory card it captured 7500 photos before it filled up. Yes, there were a lot of wasted photos of the lawn sprinklers and lawn being mowed. But there were also about 1,400 of our neighborhood "pests" eating our grass and pooping.
Ok, we enjoy the Elk pests except when they browse our trees. Oh yes, the cameras have an infrared camera for nighttime and that's how we "captured" our nocturnal pests.
P.S. - The cameras seem to be really pretty good on batteries. We get real winter up here in the high country and a set of 4-AA batteries is still going strong after 7,500 images captured.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #46

Larry and Penny Thompson campground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Last winter I was staying in a park in S.W. Florida. One night there were 5 vehicles stolen and 10 vehicles broken into. All vehicles were recovered early that morning. Thetheifs only took coins from the other vehicles.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #47

CH751 locks are very common and most likely they had the same key.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Was at KOA up in Boston/Cape Cod this past week, the place was packed and we had a pretty good time. When it came time to put things away I realized stuff were taken from my locked compartment: a 50' and a 30' 30amp extension cords, a 50/30amp connector, and a box of brand new blocks (orange kind that everyone uses). Total loss about $150 as I will need to buy them again, these were brand new as I just got my TT a month ago. All the things taken were in a large plastic box inside the compartment. So whoever took it must have gone through the boxes and took just those items and left the others.

I have ordered new camlocks on Amazon and just wondering if theft is part of camping? It's frustrating to realize this at the end of a great week of vacation.
Which part of the site were you on?
We were there 17-21st at the end near the jumping pillow no issues
Old 08-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #49

WARNING bigger problem than the CH751

Forest River places the CH751 or SouthCo “R001” on almost everyone of their vehicle’s compartments CAM lock or compartment latch. So if you have not changed the CAM lock or latch, most likely everyone in the campground can open your compartments that has purchased a new RV in the last 7-years.

Additionally and more disconcerting is almost every Forest River product has this Global Link Travel Trailer Entrance Door Lock.(https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...90_67_1000.jpg).

These locks have two keyed locks/cylinders. The top lock has an “M” stamped in the front of the lock cylinder, which is the lock most people “only” lock. This lock can be opened by the Global Link RV MK9901 Master Green Key. For the convince of Forest River, every RV transport hauler, every dealer, and many RV parks, they have this key so they can open any trailer with one key.

The PROBLEM is anyone can purchase the Global Link RV MK9001 key on eBay for $29.50. So beware if you rely only on the “M” stamped lock. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/30387850844...f758%7Ciid%3A1)

The only way to protect yourself is to replace the lock cylinder with “M” with a cylinder without an “M” or always lock the cylinder without the “M”.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #50

Yes, but not what you think

We've camped all over the west including western Canada, in private campgrounds of all types and government parks from the boonies to near urban. We've never had anything stolen from our tent, pop-up trailer, travel trailer, or fifth wheel. We do take ordinary care to lock (and change from 751 locks to Combi-Cam locks), including hitch locks, and hide what we can to avoid being a target.

However, on a trip last fall, on a stopover in a well-rated, but older, RV park in Idaho Falls, someone stole somewhat more than a quarter-tank of diesel from our 2016 F-250 (no lock on the fuel door). Our two black labs got a little agitated in the late evening, but I figured just people walking.

The thing that troubled me from the event wasn't the loss of fuel, it was -- and still is -- the reduction of trust in fellow camper-people. [I _did_ buy a locking fuel cap.]

Still, the basics are what count: stay aware of your surroundings, get good locks, take preventive actions, and trust your gut.
jcliftonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Was at KOA up in Boston/Cape Cod this past week, the place was packed and we had a pretty good time. When it came time to put things away I realized stuff were taken from my locked compartment: a 50' and a 30' 30amp extension cords, a 50/30amp connector, and a box of brand new blocks (orange kind that everyone uses). Total loss about $150 as I will need to buy them again, these were brand new as I just got my TT a month ago. All the things taken were in a large plastic box inside the compartment. So whoever took it must have gone through the boxes and took just those items and left the others.

I have ordered new camlocks on Amazon and just wondering if theft is part of camping? It's frustrating to realize this at the end of a great week of vacation.

So it is possible that they may have had the same type key! Sorry for your loss of items and randomly chose your TT
OldRotorMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #52

If someone is going to steal my stuff, I would rather they just open the cheap locks and take what they want rather than busting apart the compartment door to get around the stronger locks and then stealing the same stuff. That way I won’t have to repair or replace the compartment doors or frames. Yes, this has he opened once, at a storage lot. I don’t park there any more, and don’t leave anything in the compartments (and leave them unlocked) at our current storage lot. Never a theft at a campground but I have certainly worried about that when we leave for the day.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #53

I have never had anything stolen while camping "knock on my fake simulated wood grain desktop" but at one campground in Florida I had a hooker knock my door at 10:30 at night asking for Steve, no my name is not Steve. I looked at the wife and asked she called for delivery....she DID NOT find that funny at all.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #54
KnP

I say, if someone bust open your camper, is because you have some the thieves want really bad. I grew up securing all, so I am always aware to lock things up, does not matter where I am at (except at home with family). Having that layer of security keep honest people, honest.

Now, camper awning lights? They can have those
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
Forest River places the CH751 or SouthCo “R001” on almost everyone of their vehicle’s compartments CAM lock or compartment latch. So if you have not changed the CAM lock or latch, most likely everyone in the campground can open your compartments that has purchased a new RV in the last 7-years.

Additionally and more disconcerting is almost every Forest River product has this Global Link Travel Trailer Entrance Door Lock.(https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...90_67_1000.jpg).

These locks have two keyed locks/cylinders. The top lock has an “M” stamped in the front of the lock cylinder, which is the lock most people “only” lock. This lock can be opened by the Global Link RV MK9901 Master Green Key. For the convince of Forest River, every RV transport hauler, every dealer, and many RV parks, they have this key so they can open any trailer with one key.

The PROBLEM is anyone can purchase the Global Link RV MK9001 key on eBay for $29.50. So beware if you rely only on the “M” stamped lock. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/30387850844...f758%7Ciid%3A1)

The only way to protect yourself is to replace the lock cylinder with “M” with a cylinder without an “M” or always lock the cylinder without the “M”.

I bought this lock and love it and just bought combination storage door locks. The less keys the better, not from a stealing aspect but from me loosing my my keys
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:18 AM   #56

Wiggle jiggle

My locks are so bad even I can’t get them open without minutes of wiggle jiggle so I guess I will keep them. Why make it easy for crooks.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #57

Lock up

On my FR TT all locks are keyed differently except for the outside kitchen. So maybe the manufacturer is listening. Also I have cable locks for generators /honey pot and use the same when we leave campsite to secure chairs tables etc. One thing different about camping in our 30's & 40's, vice now in our 60's is I feel sorta targeted sometimes. Which is fine, I can handle but it means we have to 'secure to detour' theft. The German Shepherd that travels with us does her part too, lol.
Heritage Glen Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #58

Wireless cameras with suction cup mounting is the way to go. We get notifications when someone trips the motion sensor on our phone and we can talk to the person while calling the ranger or park security.
Most of the time the robbers could be the next site over or someone who you had a conversation with over an adult beverage. This way you know who is at your site when your out for the day.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:37 AM   #59
KenKre

In 45 years of camping we are fortunate to never had a theft. Having said that it's not wise to think that in a campground there aren't thieves. They're are.
Ken Kreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #60

With Crowds Come Thieves

A few years ago, my wife and I drove the length of Cape Cod to survey campground possibilities. What we learned was that there were a few popular locations that were so crowded that we did not feel comfortable planning to camp at them. We’re originally from NYC, so we know that with large numbers of people comes noise, and unfortunately, thieves. We did camp at one CG almost all the way out near Provincetown and had a great time. However, we know that the rule of city life is this: if you want to get away from the riff-raff, you have to be willing to drive further than the crowd. There was one campground on the Cape canal close to the mainland that was so crowded, we knew camping there was not going to be peaceful. We live in Connecticut, but now, we skip the crowded Cape and go to Maine because there are fewer thieves and less traffic. I also camp in a few extremely rural locations where the attitude among the campers is that we look out for each other and that’s the way I like it. I’ve never had anything stolen while either tent or RV camping, but, I’ve always locked almost everything down that could be.

CTSS

Tags
lock