Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
???
The power connection (socket) and the power cord are both inside the (lockable) cabinet. They cannot connect to power unless the cabinet is unlocked.
My mistake as mine has the side wall plug in outlet. You are correct with a perm attached cord or inside socket.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #22

Stuff stolen

My husband and I camped for years. Never had anything stolen so sorry to hear about this. However I would pack everything away when left campground except a box of pink Kleenex on picnic table. We came back and only the Kleenex was gone but left the empty box. I thought what kind of person would steal the Kleenex and leave the empty box. As my husband was cooking over the fire he call my attention to the big beautiful pink squirrel nest high above in the trees. Now I wish I had seen the thief. But can you imagine the first rainfall. It was worth the laugh
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #23

Never had anything stolen, but I've left enough at campsite to supply several families. We do lock up everything though just to be safe. Our German Shepherd alerts us to most anything going on outside. Might be criminals targeting campsites for whatever they can steal. This not only upsets the campers it is also very concerning to the owners. Safe travels and lock up everything you can.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #24
Brake is on left

That stinks! Thieves are the worst.

We just swapped out all the compartment locks for the Global Link core. Now they are keyed to the entry doors. Got them from rvlocksandmore.com

Not foolproof but better than the CH751
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
A lot of this depends on the demographics of a geographical area. In my neck of the woods, attempting to abscond with someone else's property could net you an irrevocable consequence.
I believe you're right about demographics. As for consequences, I think like you.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #26
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemerrill View Post
My husband and I camped for years. Never had anything stolen so sorry to hear about this. However I would pack everything away when left campground except a box of pink Kleenex on picnic table. We came back and only the Kleenex was gone but left the empty box. I thought what kind of person would steal the Kleenex and leave the empty box. As my husband was cooking over the fire he call my attention to the big beautiful pink squirrel nest high above in the trees. Now I wish I had seen the thief. But can you imagine the first rainfall. It was worth the laugh
That's pretty funny.

On a thread-related note, when we were in Naples, FL this winter a deputy came around and visited everyone in the campground to remind them to lock their compartments and doors when they leave and overnight.

A couple of our neighbors there said they never lock anything and they are there for five months.

The deputy said there had been no incidents but yeah, having worked in public safety myself, I'm suspicious of everyone.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Was at KOA up in Boston/Cape Cod this past week, the place was packed and we had a pretty good time. When it came time to put things away I realized stuff were taken from my locked compartment: a 50' and a 30' 30amp extension cords, a 50/30amp connector, and a box of brand new blocks (orange kind that everyone uses). Total loss about $150 as I will need to buy them again, these were brand new as I just got my TT a month ago. All the things taken were in a large plastic box inside the compartment. So whoever took it must have gone through the boxes and took just those items and left the others.

I have ordered new camlocks on Amazon and just wondering if theft is part of camping? It's frustrating to realize this at the end of a great week of vacation.
Make sure the locks don’t take a CH 751 key Yep it’s about 80% of the trailers out there.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #28

Sorry to hear of you loss but out of curiosity did you report it to the Campground. Other folks might've had thing stolen that night and you never know if they happen to be caught the thieves might not had a chance to sell the stuff yet. And though the campground will say they're not responsible it wouldn't bode well if this is a continually a problem at this particular CG. Thanks for letting us know I was looking at staying there on our recent 2 month trip back to NE.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Sorry to hear of you loss but out of curiosity did you report it to the Campground. Other folks might've had thing stolen that night and you never know if they happen to be caught the thieves might not had a chance to sell the stuff yet. And though the campground will say they're not responsible it wouldn't bode well if this is a continually a problem at this particular CG. Thanks for letting us know I was looking at staying there on our recent 2 month trip back to NE.
I did let them know and unfortunately it wasn't until the day of departure I found out stuff were taken. I had a 10 hour drive home and they asked if I wanted to call the police, knowing that will take hours I declined.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #30

Coolers are something I often hear about getting stolen. A couple of years ago I heard of a family with a popup piling into the car and going to a hotel or home (don't recall which) when a big storm rolled thru. The following day when they returned, their popup was gone. Someone came in, hitched up and off they went.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #31

Put a trail am inside in a noticeable window. Thieves only take from the easiest locations.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #32
KnP

I replaced all my locks CH751 for the Cylindrical type key. Also, changed the camper lock with a remote control, cypher pad and key lock. On my 5th wheel, the propane tanks are secured with a non key lock, stupid I must say, replaced those too.

Here is the thing, nothing is unbreakable, but making it harder to break will keep some thieves away.

As the economy we are in now days, prepare to get worse. People will steal all they can when they get desperate. Even, on those B&W 5th wheel hitches, lock those things up with a heavy duty chain. It takes less than 5 mins and 2 guys to steal the entire assembly; that is a loss over $1,500. I secured mine but now I got a Bak Flip G2 and is stored under it.

We have not got there yet in the really tough times, we are heading there.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #33

I have heard of several stories of things disappearing from RVs from locked compartments. To be safe, I replaced my door and compartment locks and latches with those offered from RV Lock. Really nice set and well made. They also key them all the same if you obtain them at the same time. https://www.rvlock.com
pshimp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #34

Way too funny.. The keys are universal. Even my John Deere 870 was stolen in '91 because the keys are universal. Bought a set of keys for my 2703WS as it didn't have them. outside shower keys came with. Universal.. You get the idea.
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #35

I grew up 4 miles from that KOA

I'm sorry that happened! I grew up 4 miles from that KOA and have camped there several times with no issues except for some huge coyotes. That is a very low crime area with a lot of hard working regular folks, so I'm surprised and disappointed to hear this. I've been camping my entire life (mostly in northern New England, down south, and a little out west, and I've never had anything stolen. I've noticed there are a lot of new people getting into camping lately and things seem to be changing a little. I've always been told to change all the locks and never have. I've never locked up bikes unless we've been in a real busy park in an unfamiliar area. I know it's just been good luck, but I like to think people are good and respect each other's hard earned belongings. Hopefully the new locks will help.
edaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #36
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sorry to hear of your loss. As said locks only keep people honest if they want in bad enough its going to happen. Personally as many years as I've been camping I have never had any thing stolen. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #37

Mono line

Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Most campers are honest. A few years ago in a Lassen National Forest CG, some camp robbers toured the CG and I lost a Honda 2000i generator that was secured with a bicycle cable. Since then, I use a very heavy duty cable and unpickable lock. I also run a clear mono filament line from the generator to under the front door where its attached to a cow bell.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #38

Theft

Fortunately I have been blessed and never had anything stolen. But I leave my doors unlocked because I would rather replace what they stole then try to replace a door that's been pried open and busted up. It's kind of like the years I owned a convertible I always left it unlocked because I'd rather have replace what was inside then replace a roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Was at KOA up in Boston/Cape Cod this past week, the place was packed and we had a pretty good time. When it came time to put things away I realized stuff were taken from my locked compartment: a 50' and a 30' 30amp extension cords, a 50/30amp connector, and a box of brand new blocks (orange kind that everyone uses). Total loss about $150 as I will need to buy them again, these were brand new as I just got my TT a month ago. All the things taken were in a large plastic box inside the compartment. So whoever took it must have gone through the boxes and took just those items and left the others.

I have ordered new camlocks on Amazon and just wondering if theft is part of camping? It's frustrating to realize this at the end of a great week of vacation.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #39

Last winter I was staying in a park in S.W. Florida. One night there were 5 vehicles stolen and 10 vehicles broken into. All vehicles were recovered early that morning. Thetheifs only took coins from the other vehicles.
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
Put a trail am inside in a noticeable window. Thieves only take from the easiest locations.
Can you tell me what a “trail am” is?
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock