Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Stuff stolen from a locked compartment

Was at KOA up in Boston/Cape Cod this past week, the place was packed and we had a pretty good time. When it came time to put things away I realized stuff were taken from my locked compartment: a 50' and a 30' 30amp extension cords, a 50/30amp connector, and a box of brand new blocks (orange kind that everyone uses). Total loss about $150 as I will need to buy them again, these were brand new as I just got my TT a month ago. All the things taken were in a large plastic box inside the compartment. So whoever took it must have gone through the boxes and took just those items and left the others.

I have ordered new camlocks on Amazon and just wondering if theft is part of camping? It's frustrating to realize this at the end of a great week of vacation.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #2

everyone has had an issue like this in their life... me personally never while camping, but thieves know no bounds...

Probably someone in the campgrounds preying on others taking only easily disposed of items...

sorry for your grief and loss... I don't believe that thievery at campgrounds is normal.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I never lock anything and never had anything stolen, approaching 100 nights of camping. But I've never done it around Boston before.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

I replaced the CH751 locks on our trailer because they were unusable, not because it added security. I imagine that will prevent theft in a busy park where the thief doesn't want to attract attention by breaking in with a Wonder Bar. It won't help at all in a storage area with minimal traffic where the thief doesn't care about ripping three door off.

That said, I've never had anything stolen in storage or in a campground, in 20 years of camping. We don't leave valuables laying around in plain sight and, without going to great effort, secure things when we leave camp.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

I’ve never had anything taken from me while camping, and that is all the way from hiking/backpacking to walk-in sites, tenting in busy campgrounds with all my stuff out in the open, pop-up camping, and now with a TT. I’ve always been leery and and paranoid that that it would happen though. Me personally I would believe that it was one of your neighbors who was able to see more of your coming and goings plus what you had and where it was stored. But no matter what it is BS and sucks that you have to deal with it and will now make you more cautious and worrying every time you leave your site.
Backcountryboondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

I don't doubt that you had a theft. But on the few occasions that I thought that something was missing, it turned out that my wife or even I myself had moved it to another compartment, or into the truck, or offloaded it at home. And I always wonder if I'll forget a bin when restocking things into the basement..
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #7

I've never had any problem with theft, even in a Walmart parking lot but I'm lucky. And I leave all kinds of stuff laying around. Getting ready to leave for a 6k round trip in a month. I may have a different experience. Always a concern. Never would have thought they'd get into locked compartment but knowing FF, they probably key everything a like.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
D W

A lot of this depends on the demographics of a geographical area. In my neck of the woods, attempting to abscond with someone else's property could net you an irrevocable consequence.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

The first thing I did when I bought my trailer was replace the China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. The second thing I did was replace the CH751 locks with barrel key locks. No tire problems and no theft problems.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #10

Cmpground theft

Most campers are honest. A few years ago in a Lassen National Forest CG, some camp robbers toured the CG and I lost a Honda 2000i generator that was secured with a bicycle cable. Since then, I use a very heavy duty cable and unpickable lock. I also run a clear mono filament line from the generator to under the front door where its attached to a cow bell.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #11

Locks

The locks that come with are cheapo's.
Ask any 5 people in your campground to try your locker doors, and I bet someone has the same key. Same with the door. My wife locked our keys inside the rig one day, and I asked the guy who washes the campers if he had extra keys. He had about 15, and the third one fit.
Almost everyone who camps does something to prevent theft, if you are realistic.
We boondock, a lot especially in Elk Camp. We always leave at least one person in camp.
The fishing line to the cowbell is golden.
A friend has security cams on his rig, with a recorder. He has a huge bank of Lithium batts and solar, so he never worries about power.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #12

Stuff stolen

It is unfortunate that this happened to you but I agree with others it is rare whether camping or in storage. I have had both experiences, 1x each, over 20+ years of camping. The 1st time, many years ago, we were camped directly on the ocean in Avila beach, ca, on a heavily trafficked road. I put most things away in these types of environments but left 1 small table out. The next morning it was gone along with the neighbors chairs, table, grill, etc. The police did respond but unfortunately there was little they could do. They also mentioned it was probably just kids out late at night. Needless to say I now take everything in when in high traffic, open areas. The 2nd time it was in storage, not gated or locked next to an apartment complex. It was a new rv and I was planning to replace the 751 locks. The thieves took easily sellable stuff, power cords, adapters. Tools, etc but what really hurt was the loss of all my towing equipment. They left a lot of other stuff though such as grill, chairs, umbrellas, etc. Probably too big. Overall We Probably lost about $1k. Anyway I changed my locks, changed storage locations and am happy to say no issues ever since. As we always say, live and learn.

Ps, we were just notified someone tried to steal our catalytic converter in our locked, gated, monitored storage facility. Obviously someone interrupted them as they only cut 1 pipe but did not get away with the converter. $400 repair and $200 for a rebar ‘cat cage’ and all is well. I guess the adage is true ‘You can only keep out honest people with locks, alarms, etc’ but the good news is most people are honest. Keep on camping 😎
MMMndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #13

We've never had anything taken, but the parks are full of new campers and a crowded park is probably the best place to be a thief. Our daughter worked at a bank in a grocery store and was robbed at high noon when the store was full of people and workers remodeling the store. No one saw anything and only bank security cameras verified the robbery.
Locks give a false sense of security because most locked compartments and doors on an rv can be popped easily with a crowbar and then you have more expensive repairs to deal with than $150.
I'm sorry that happened to you. It's not normal. The thief looked at a brand new trailer, knew that you had brand new equipment and took what they needed or knew they could sell easily.
You might want to alert the KOA and see if they have security cameras and can spot someone who might have driven in that didn't belong.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #14

A lot depends on where you are camping. If you are in California, camping near civilization, lock EVERYTHING down, and even then, nothing is safe. We had our locked generator taken at a state park near Santa Cruz. Because the value was less than $950.00, the ranger said they wouldn’t even investigate it. The thieves know that and “case” the campsites in the day, and steal everything at night.
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sorry this happened but it's a sign of the way things are headed.

Locks keep somewhat honest people from stopping to have a look-see.

Change locks or put stronger ones on and next time the people who really want things will simply bust the door and then you'll have that damage and expense to deal with as well.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #16

Been camping with 4 different rigs since 1979 and never had anything stolen except someone stole a box of wood from the back of my truck. I walked around the campground and found the box. I picked up the box and told the people there that was my box and wood. They said they found the box. Sure - in the back of my truck!

Last summer I replaced all the C751 locks with different locks. I know you can open them in time with a notched pen, but who want to fool around trying to get them open when time is not on your side. I suppose someone could clean you out, but I can't worry about everything in life and spoil my time out.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #17

Remove everything of value before leaving your vehicle to be service or repaired
Speaking from experience --
Isleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
KAS

I was told by my RV dealer that almost all CH751 exterior locks are the same so they only need 1 key for all the different campers when selling or repairing. In other words, it's for THEIR convenience. BRILLIANT!!!

I replaced all of my locks with programmable combination locks. I made the combinations the same except for the lock to the cabinet door where the power cord is. This is in case I need to take the camper in for service and forget to unlock it first and have to give them the combination (I can change it later).

https://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-785...02167367&psc=1
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
I was told by my RV dealer that almost all CH751 exterior locks are the same so they only need 1 key for all the different campers when selling or repairing. In other words, it's for THEIR convenience. BRILLIANT!!!

I replaced all of my locks with programmable combination locks. I made the combinations the same except for the lock to the cabinet door where the power cord is. This is in case I need to take the camper in for service and forget to unlock it first and have to give them the combination (I can change it later).

https://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-785...02167367&psc=1
I would not worry about any dealer needing access to your power card. I'm sure they have plenty of them already plugged in to connect to your unit.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
I would not worry about any dealer needing access to your power card. I'm sure they have plenty of them already plugged in to connect to your unit.
???
The power connection (socket) and the power cord are both inside the (lockable) cabinet. They cannot connect to power unless the cabinet is unlocked.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock