Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #1

Sub freezing temps question

Wanted to get others opinion on this. I have a travel trailer that I won't be needing the water this week. We will be having temps in the low 20s possibly a little lower. Instead of leaving the sink on a drip during the cold times with no one there I was thinking about turning the water off at the ground spigot. I will still have a heated hose that's plugged in but will purge what water I can from the sinks. Is this option viable? I want to be sure I don't have any issues. I just hate leaving the sink dripping with no one home. Would appreciate any thoughts on the issue.
flcoug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #2

See all the great comments in "Do I need to Winterize". Since you have power, why not turn on an oil filled heater? They are very safe. I set mine at the 600 amp switch, notch 2 and the TT temperature stays in the 40s.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #3

What about day time temperatures? If still below freezing you have a lot of places for potential of freezing. freezing. Turn off the water. But that is not enough in sustained freezing temperatures.

Low point drains.
Fresh Water tank drain.
Black water flush.
Black and gray water dump ports.
Outside shower ports.
Sink and shower drains.
Etc etc.

Im sure you will get more replies.

Good Luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

My furnace will be running so im not worried about anything really freezing. Just wondering if there's a big difference with leaving sink dripping vs just turning off the water. I've been through these temps here before. I will be in a different trailer nearby this week. I'm just not comfortable leaving water dripping when I can't be there overnight. Thought I'd be ok by just turning water off. Guess I need to re think??
Old 02-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #5

If you are turning off the water and leaving heat on I wouldn't be too concerned. In fact, with mine I don't get real excited if it gets a little below freezing at night as long as the daytime temps get above freezing. It takes quite a bit to freeze the water lines enough to burst them.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks! I was thinking the same..just wanted some validation. Daytime temps will be in 30s and it's only for a day or two.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #7

If your not there during the cold spell, and not heating the camper, I'd definitely shut off the water supply ,drain water heater, fresh and waste tanks. At a minimum at least open low point drains, blow out lines and add antifreeze to traps. My own experience at those temps, actually 18° was a frozen water hose (lesson learned ), frozen dump valve, no damage luckily, but the camper was occupied and heated so no water heater or plumbing/trap issues. Don't risk it. Only cost is time and a little antifreeze for traps and toilet.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:01 PM   #8

If you are leaving the heat on say at 50* you can open the cabinets at floor level to get heat to the pipes (like the kitchen) and turn the city water off at the spigot. leave the heated hose plugged in or remove it from spigot and trailer and drain it. Make sure you propane is topped off and both tanks open so the auto change over can take place if needed.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcoug123 View Post
My furnace will be running so im not worried about anything really freezing. Just wondering if there's a big difference with leaving sink dripping vs just turning off the water. I've been through these temps here before. I will be in a different trailer nearby this week. I'm just not comfortable leaving water dripping when I can't be there overnight. Thought I'd be ok by just turning water off. Guess I need to re think??
I would never leave a faucet dripping in a R/V when not there regardless of temperature.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

We have been full time since 2013,and have spent many nights below freezing.

We are presently in NE Ohio visiting family and it is damn cold! (and currently below zero).
I leave the cold water run in the bathroom sink (less splashing) at bit more than a little trickle, insuring that the gray tank valve is open. Running water will not freeze. I have done this several times before, and is also what the maintenance staff at this year round KOA recommends
Old 02-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #11

Trickle did not work here.

3,160 tons of water flows over Niagara Falls every second.

Just saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220222_112001.png
Views:	28
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	269147  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #12

If the low temps are going to be in the 20's, what will the daily high temps be?

If like here where I live it's not unusual for temps to drop into the low 20's at night, even high teens, but daytime temps can easily be in the mid 40's.

It takes more than just the few hours overnight to freeze the water lines inside, especially if the inside has any form of heat overnight.

I have never been concerned about nighttime low temps as ling as the daytime temps have been well above freezing. I've never had a heated hose so I always keep water in the FW tank and remove City Water hose when temps are expected to go below freezing at night. That water line is most exposed to the coldest temps outside and will freeze fast. Water lines inside the RV will take a lot longer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
question