Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Suggestions

Hello,

Probably in the wrong place, but somebody can move it if need be.

Most of us that have been here a while, have our trailer make and model in our signature, along with our city and state. How about making that a requirement when you sign up??? It would help answer some of the questions sometimes, or at least give those of us trying to help something to look at, My water heater doesn't work, help?.... Can't do whole lot with that. Can I tow this?... Would help to know if near the mountains or desert. I do realize that people are scared of identity theft, but most have their name and address in a phone book, and think nothing of it. SO why not require trailer make, model, and city, state, when signing up? Maybe all those on board will do the same. Just a a late night thought. Hey, the site don't cost you anything, so don't gripe.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Makes sense to me. I find it unbelievable how many times questions are asked but we have no idea what unit type or model they are referring to. If these members do not want to list their home town, state or info in the signature, at least include some model information in your questions.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Hello Charlie,

Love your signature! Driver: Charlie Navigator: Sheri
Does Sheri ever drive/tow your rig?

My hubby rides his motorcycle (2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100) and I drive and tow the trailer! I even set up camp!! Disconx from truck, set the chokes and jacks, conx water, elec, set out the awning, .. pull out the chairs and break out the cold beers!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Many people are not interested in putting that much personal information on a public forum. Me included.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hello Charlie,

Love your signature! Driver: Charlie Navigator: Sheri
Does Sheri ever drive/tow your rig?

My hubby rides his motorcycle (2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100) and I drive and tow the trailer! I even set up camp!! Disconx from truck, set the chokes and jacks, conx water, elec, set out the awning, .. pull out the chairs and break out the cold beers!
No she doesn't drive it. I want to teach you but she's too afraid. She's a nervous wreck when I drive and I'm very conservative when I'm driving down the road. If something happens to me she's going to be stuck or have to find someone to get it home. I'm thinking about joining Family Motorcoach Assosciation for just that reason to start.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A state, a town, and the type RV you have is too much information???? Get real, if you shop with a food lion or vic card, or any of the others, they have much more personal info. Buy gas with a debit card, or anything else, they know that too. I do believe in protecting ones right to privacy, but as already mentioned, you have your address and name in a phone book, that can be found. Not asking for names or street addresses, just a town, so when someone wants to know if they can tow something, would help to know the general area, flat, mountains, desert, etc. The other side of the coin, since it is public, and free, no one will ever know if you are lying either.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Site Team

i agree, windrider, and not wanting to put at least the state that you live in, is a little paranoid.
this forum is a community and if you can't trust those in it, then you shouldn't be on such a forum.

RV'ers are generally sociable and friendly types. there are those hermit-types who want nothing to do with other campers but most of us are friendly and helpful people.

i, too, get tired of people asking for advice without giving even the type or model of their RV. or they ask advice about towing without telling you where in the country they live. how can you give towing advice if you don't know what type of terrain they'll be towing in.
someone in Florida has different towing factors, than someone in Colorado.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am going to put my $.02 in here. An RV model, a tow vehicle (if applicable), and at least a state would be great to have on all posts, but I don't see requiring it. I am a private person, but still include our nicknames (only), RV, and tow vehicle information. Other than a couple of members that I have met, nobody knows much about me beyond that.

I agree that RVers are a social bunch, but members have to beware that scammers, spammers, and others can view this forum, so I can understand the concern with many members.

I don't know of anybody that has their name posted here that have had any kind of problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #9

I think posting that info here is a great idea, but I'm not so strongly opinionated that I think it needs to be mandated.
But in my humble opinion- claiming that it's about keeping your identity safe....well I just think that by the virtue that you have bought (and highly likely financed) your expensive toy, carry credit/debit cards, subscribe to magazines, there's a lot more threat to your identity than a first name, state of residence and what your RV is. But to each their own.
Respectfully,

Tom in PA
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #10

"Many people are not interested in putting that much personal information on a public forum. Me included."
============================
Anyone who isn't willing to share a few details on themselves on a forum like this, simply doesn't need to be here. Not much of a spirit of helpful sharing by that guy.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Somehow, somewhere, someone mentioned first names. The original poster, me, never said anything about a name. Just your rv make/model, city and state. Besides, if you read most of the post, where the info was asked, you will also find a lot of folks gladly sent the info, along with wife, children, dog, cats, etc.

As to the poster above, Crocus, you stated, ""Many people are not interested in putting that much personal information on a public forum. Me included.". Your choice. While reading your signature, I see you have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS loaded. You tow with a 1996 Ford F20 diesel, and you live in Manitoba, but you may not be there long. That's more info than I was suggesting be required, as I never mentioned yow vehicle, part time, or full time, etc. After posting all this info you are against requiring it? Sorry, not trying to pick on anyone.

If you go back and read the original post it says, "have our trailer make and model in our signature, along with our city and state." That is all, in post #1. What could be wrong with that????

I step down.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Somehow, somewhere, someone mentioned first names. The original poster, me, never said anything about a name. Just your rv make/model, city and state. Besides, if you read most of the post, where the info was asked, you will also find a lot of folks gladly sent the info, along with wife, children, dog, cats, etc.

As to the poster above, Crocus, you stated, ""Many people are not interested in putting that much personal information on a public forum. Me included.". Your choice. While reading your signature, I see you have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS loaded. You tow with a 1996 Ford F20 diesel, and you live in Manitoba, but you may not be there long. That's more info than I was suggesting be required, as I never mentioned yow vehicle, part time, or full time, etc. After posting all this info you are against requiring it? Sorry, not trying to pick on anyone.

If you go back and read the original post it says, "have our trailer make and model in our signature, along with our city and state." That is all, in post #1. What could be wrong with that????

I step down.
Windrider,
If you take notice of what "Crocus" wrote you may notice that the first portion is a quote of someone else's post. Just trying to help. And true you didn't say to include first names. I just got a little carried away
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, and apologies, I missed that.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #14

This forum is privately owned but open to the public and is free, there are some things that have restriction, like freedom of speech from what i have read in the rules there is no such thing here and people seem to be ok with that.

There are too many nuts in the world for me to put my info out there. In my mine if a forum makes it mandatory to put personal info in public view then the forum needs not to be free for the public, but to pay to join and for those that would like to join need to be invited by a member.

This is a great forum and you have options, so why not leave it that way, if you what to put your stuff out there then do so, but for those that don't that's fine too.

I believe that this forum has helped many people and if you want to get personal then you can use the Private message option (PM).
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #15

I like it when members post what they have. It' gives me a sense of what they are towing with, and what unit's they have. After my first couple posts, I added mine to let everyone know when I ask a question or respond, it is there.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #16

windrider, no problem about the confusion.
I really don't understand why some are so paranoid about saying where they are from, or providing a picture of their unit. Makes me wonder if they have something to hide!

I am proud of where I come from, and my unit. And I just think it is in the spirit of sharing that is the basis of this whole forum.

And some of those who hide behind their anonymity seem to be the more obnoxious ones. But that is their choice, as it is a free world.

above all.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #17

Didn't see anything wrong with adding that information. New At this and it never crossed my mind. Have now gone in and added more info. I find this site very helpful as we have just gone from using a tent just about every weekend possible for 10 years to a travel trailer. Sure have a lot of questions that I find many answers to on the site. Thank You everyone
riwdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see a problem either. I personally don't want to list our names, but to each his own.

I think a problem that often occurs, as several have already pointed out, is in the towing, hitches and toad section and people asking what can be towed or if they are OK with this or that TT/TV combo, etc?

Another forum I frequent on flashlights (I admit that I am a flash-a-holic) has stickied a list of information to provide to help the OP get their answer. Something like this might be helpful to sticky in the towing section so people know what information to provide:

Truck:
Year, Make and Model
GVWR
GCWR
Axle Ratings
cargo max
Weight of truck
Engine size and transmission ratio

Family:

Number of people in vehicle
Total weight of family
Any additional weight in truck

Trailer:
Year, Make and Model
Dry Weight
GVWR
Length
Type of Weight Distribution Hitch

Camping preference:
What percentage of camping is in the flatlands?
What percentage is mountains?
How far do I typically tow to my destination?

I think that would cover it. Maybe I've missed some or maybe its too much, but a poster would do well to provide much of this information when asking those types of questions.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #19

many times I lie for required informaton but provide requested information that I deem fit.
I am not afraid of my identity being stolen nor do I fear someone coming to my house. That being said why should I tempt fate?
Thus I agree that we should provide it but disagree that it should be a requirement. If I so choose to not add my TT, TV and city informtion to my signature I still should provide it if my question directly pertains to a specific make and model.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #20

Ok, it appears I am out numbered, so here is my information
JimBob,
Zipdee,TX
40 foot Teton
1929 model A pickup Tow Vehicle
donn is offline   Reply With Quote