Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Suggestions for tow vehicle and trailer

I have a Dynamax 24 foot motorhome which I love.

I have a Ford F150 which is at end of lease March 15th.

The Dynamax has served us well but changes in family situation has me considering a smaller pick up and small trailer.

I want something that can:
*Fit in hospital parking garages with low overhead clearance. (With out the trailer).

*Can safely pull a small but comfortable trailer that will be used all year in PA and MD. Will also be used as an office.

*I am not fussy about the brand. I will be fussy about about appearance and creature comforts for truck and trailer.

You input welcome.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:40 PM   #2

Personally, I never see myself going smaller than a 1/2 ton truck, but have you looked at the Ford Rangers? I’ve seen some very impressive towing and payload numbers for such a small truck. I have not done any in-depth research. I saw one in a showroom. Pretty cool.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

Chevy Colorado ZR71 packages have 7000# tow capacity and integrated brake controller from factory. Worth a look.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post
Personally, I never see myself going smaller than a 1/2 ton truck, but have you looked at the Ford Rangers? I’ve seen some very impressive towing and payload numbers for such a small truck. I have not done any in-depth research. I saw one in a showroom. Pretty cool.
Standard size pickup trucks won’t fit in the parking garages that I need to use. That wasn’t a problem until most of the parking lots were removed and multi level garages were built.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
Camping the Natural State

The new Ford Ranger is rated to tow 7500#.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #7

Fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Standard size pickup trucks won’t fit in the parking garages that I need to use. That wasn’t a problem until most of the parking lots were removed and multi level garages were built.

Thanks.
Bobby, we used to take the Tahoe and the YukonXL into hospital and shopping center parking decks. DW totaled the YukonXL. She now has a Sierra 2500HD crew cab with the tow package and middle-size bed (extra springs, tail real high). We don't usually take the Sierra into those garages because it's so long that it sticks out, but I believe it's not too tall to fit.

Before you conclude it that a half-ton won't fit, take a ride through the parking deck and look for others.

(There is one hospital nearby which has outdoor parking designated for oversize vehicles.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

I like our Tacoma and would buy another when the time comes. That said, the Colorado is hard to beat for comfort. I don't know how it will hold up long term, but the folks I've spoken with in camp grounds seem to like their performance when towing Rpod size rigs.
Edit - I agree with Larry - NC. We took a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup and Tundra thru hospital structures. We did have to remove the boat rack off the Dodge's canopy but both fit as long as we could find longer corner parking slots.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #9
Canadian Member

I’d look at a Tacoma. IMO, better quality than a domestic brand truck. I really enjoyed mine. The only negative about it was that it didn’t get great fuel economy for its size.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bobby, we used to take the Tahoe and the YukonXL into hospital and shopping center parking decks. DW totaled the YukonXL. She now has a Sierra 2500HD crew cab with the tow package and middle-size bed (extra springs, tail real high). We don't usually take the Sierra into those garages because it's so long that it sticks out, but I believe it's not too tall to fit.

Before you conclude it that a half-ton won't fit, take a ride through the parking deck and look for others.

(There is one hospital nearby which has outdoor parking designated for oversize vehicles.)
I always appreciate your view. Maybe I am a weenie. Some of the lots have signs saying “no trucks.” The spots are very tight. Often tough to squeeze in and out of our ford escape.

I had to change cardiologists because of the parking. The hospital built a new garage with a huge open air rooftop section BUT no trucks allowed. Dummies.

Whenever possible I see my doctors where I can take the motorhome. But my wife’s doctors locations are not motorhome friendly.

I have been investigating this for a couple of years. I don’t recall seeing a truck in any of the parking garages. The closest hospital closed their one remaining parking lot a few months ago to build a garage. They rerouted the traffic pattern which eliminated my secret parking spot.

I even spoke with the person in charge of parking the two hospitals we visit.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #11

Here is something to look at when considering a TV. Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Cargo Capacity and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). It is worth the time to do the research so that you will be happy with your purchase. Look also at the Trailer GVWR and Cargo Capacity. You will be very glad you did this research.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #12

North?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I always appreciate your view. Maybe I am a weenie. Some of the lots have signs saying “no trucks.” The spots are very tight. Often tough to squeeze in and out of our ford escape.

I had to change cardiologists because of the parking. The hospital built a new garage with a huge open air rooftop section BUT no trucks allowed. Dummies.

Whenever possible I see my doctors where I can take the motorhome. But my wife’s doctors locations are not motorhome friendly.

I have been investigating this for a couple of years. I don’t recall seeing a truck in any of the parking garages. The closest hospital closed their one remaining parking lot a few months ago to build a garage. They rerouted the traffic pattern which eliminated my secret parking spot.

I even spoke with the person in charge of parking the two hospitals we visit.
Could just be that they build the garages smaller up north.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
The new Ranger has a pretty good Cargo Capacity also.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #14

Consider looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee or used Touareg diesel. These will tow approx 7000 lbs and will fit in any garage.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #15

With the new self-driving feature, and all of them on the road, you cant beat the F150. I have a raptor and even that has fit in every parking garage ive tried. The garages do varry quite a bit though.

I will say my F350 was too high for some. One frequent garage i would go to it would fit..with less than an fingers thickness. I never took it in that one again, turn the wheels it may hit.

F150, or tundra, or Honda ridgeline...all good trucks. For towing the F150 would prob be the best choice.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle, trailer