Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Sulfur smell strong with Park's Cold Water

I do not notice the smell on the hot water side, but it is a strong odor on cold water side - which is coming from the park fresh water connection. I do have a new filter located inside. There is 1 other site on the end of the line after us and they do not have the sulfur odor. We have a Sierra destination camper. Any ideas?
dcavaiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Apparently there is sulfur in the park supply ( not unusual for well water). If the water line to your site has not been used for a week or so, the sulfur will combine with the bacteria in the water to create what you are calling a sulfur smell. If the site next to you has been using water ( not sitting in the lines) , it may not have reacted with the bacteria sufficiently to cause a smell. Let it run a while and try it again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

It makes sense about not using it, but it is just the opposite, we are here a lot and the campers at the site at the end are seldom here ...
Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

It MA actually be coming from the water heater ? If so, could it have something to do with the anode? Camper is only 2 ears old, and I am running the water heater on electricity.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Team

OK totally different possibility as OP said cold water side. If you have iron and sulfur in the water, and have a suburban WH with a magnesium anode rod, you can get that smell. You can try switching to an aluminum anode rod and that may help. Your neighbor may have an Attwood WH that does not use an anode rod. This discussion is going on currently at the following link.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1842192

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
OK totally different possibility as OP said cold water side. If you have iron and sulfur in the water, and have a suburban WH with a magnesium anode rod, you can get that smell. You can try switching to an aluminum anode rod and that may help. Your neighbor may have an Attwood WH that does not use an anode rod.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1842192
Looks like I have a Airxcel Surburban model AW10DE
Old 06-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #7

Use a charcoal filter on your incoming water line whether you have a regular filter or not. .charcoal helps eliminate odors, plain filters do not I use charcoal block filters in my 2016 Forester and, if the water in a park is foul smelling, I change it as needed
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Water softener

I installed an "On the Go" water softener. It totally eliminated the sulfur odor and I have soft water to boot.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	176276
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I installed an "On the Go" water softener. It totally eliminated the sulfur odor and I have soft water to boot.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #10

The campground owner said this, "Disconnect your water hose and add 2 ounces of chlorine in your water hose hose. Run all your faucets and flush the toilet and the problem should be gone".
Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #11

Trailer filter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
I do not notice the smell on the hot water side, but it is a strong odor on cold water side - which is coming from the park fresh water connection. I do have a new filter located inside. There is 1 other site on the end of the line after us and they do not have the sulfur odor. We have a Sierra destination camper. Any ideas?
My KW1 filter gets rid of all the smells, Sulphur or otherwise, and it filters out protozoans...….. it came with the trailer...
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

I use a carbon filter, which does a great job of removing both chlorine and sulphur smells. This is the half-height filter I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #13

Sulfur smell in water

I've been using the Hydrolife HL-180 filters for a few years now because our campground had the same problem with the water smelling like rotten eggs during heavy use weekends. This filter eliminated the problem. Now we have a Iron problem(rust smell) due to heavy rains this spring. It doesn't get rid of this smell but it works great for sulfur... This is an inline disposable filter that lasts us the summer season. Hope this helps!
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water