Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Sun Shade off awning

Have 2017 Coachmen Mirada Select 37 TB—-could anyone tell me what length sun shade they purchased. I know the width of my awning is 18 feet, so I will go with 17 feet for the width. I want the awning to touch the ground so I’m thinking 9 feet. Is that too long?
Thank you, Shelly
sckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckennedy View Post
Have 2017 Coachmen Mirada Select 37 TB—-could anyone tell me what length sun shade they purchased. I know the width of my awning is 18 feet, so I will go with 17 feet for the width. I want the awning to touch the ground so I’m thinking 9 feet. Is that too long?
Thank you, Shelly
That would not be to long, I hang mine at a angle to shed rain a little also gives you a little more protected area. Mine is staked out at like a 45 degree angle.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Thank you. What do you think about the zipper ones? I would think the the 1 ft screen that would roll back up into the screen would eventually damage the awning fabric from rolling in and out.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Thank you. What do you think about the zipper ones? I would think the the 1 ft screen that would roll back up into the screen would eventually damage the awning fabric from rolling in and out.
No damage if you buy a Quality one like from "J & J Mats and Sunshades"! Youroo!!
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Here's a sun shade that is a 2 piece. The one shown is a 4' section and an additional 6' section zips to it so it touches the ground. The 4' section stays with the awning when rolled up. It does not affect the awning fabric in any way. The 4' section is standard and whatever length is necessary for the second section to reach the ground is ordered with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0499.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	163782  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

I have the 1' section, but i dont like it rolled up, really it just as easy to thread it in the grove as it is to zipper it up, IMO only, plus they cost more which is a waist if your not going to use the zipper.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

I see the need for the "Hang Down Zipper" because of the "Height" of the units,a ladder would be needed to install! That being said W/D is correct in that the "Hang Down Part" must be secured in some way or it "Blows and Moves" in the wind which can be very distracting! Youroo!!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I see the need for the "Hang Down Zipper" because of the "Height" of the units,a ladder would be needed to install! That being said W/D is correct in that the "Hang Down Part" must be secured in some way or it "Blows and Moves" in the wind which can be very distracting! Youroo!!
Kinda agree, but I just pull my awning down and lock the arms to install the material in the grove, I just don't like the bulk or added weight rolled up, if I can bend or brake something I will. Your roll up would be pretty big with let's say a 4' drop, I would want a center surport installed when rolled up, CHEAP ROLLERS could bend when traveling.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

I have 1 by Carefree. 2' hang stays on and 6' zippered. Works fine.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
The zipper is plastic. In 3 years of having ours it has not damaged the awning.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

This company makes a 2 pc sunshade. Once dusty, zippers don't work well. I asked if they have a "hook" model, they do. I need a 2' pc to remain on the awning. rvmat.com | Our Sunshades
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
We have the Carefree with a two foot drop and a six foot zippered extension. Never a problem. Rolls up with never any awning problems and never had dirt problems getting into the zipper. It takes about two minutes to zip in the extension. Highly recommend it!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #13

Thanks for the info Lloydg. I think 2' with a 6' drop is going to work too.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #14

I went to measure the awning and instead of measuring groove to groove I measured end of awning to end of awning which came out to be 17’ 3”. The total length of the awning is 18 ft. I guess a 17 ft sunshade would work?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Here's a sun shade that is a 2 piece. The one shown is a 4' section and an additional 6' section zips to it so it touches the ground. The 4' section stays with the awning when rolled up. It does not affect the awning fabric in any way. The 4' section is standard and whatever length is necessary for the second section to reach the ground is ordered with it.

What width across did you get?

Tags
awning