Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #1

Surge Protector

I was wondering what your thoughts were on surge protectors.
weekendgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #2

A must have. Well if you want to protect your campers various electronics
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
A must have. Well if you want to protect your campers various electronics
If anyone has any recommendations or comments on the different types of S P I would appreciate it.
weekendgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #4

A surge protector is a must have for any camper. We started out with an external protector that I had to hook up every time we setup camping and then I decided to install a hard-wired surge protector inside of my 5th wheel. It only took me about an hour to install the unit and I am glad that I did. This unit has saved me trouble 4 different times and it saves me time in setting up my camping. The unit that I chose was the "Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C" since my camper is 50 amps. But they also have 30 amp models. The hardwired unit was a little more expensive that the external unit but it was worth it to me. I also like the led monitor that came with the unit. I put this unit in the compartment where I store my power cable so that I can tell as soon as I hook up the power cord if everything is ok and I have good power.

Happy Camping......

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

A straight "Surge Protector" is a total waist of money in my book. It only protects from incoming large surges and is a one time use item when hit. Low voltage is your enemy in a campground. What you need to buy is an EMS system. It protect not only large surges but high and low voltage as well. Also checks for correct wiring. "Surge Protector" is an electric trade name for a particular type of product. It does just what it says it is SURGE protector. Look for a "Progressive Industries" EMS in the amperage to match your RV. "Surge Guard" is a product trade name. You must read the specs on what you are buying.

The sad part is the average Joe doesn't know the difference between the two and doesn't know which he has.

As for portable or hard wired that's up to you. I'm told Portable get's forgot and left behind at camp. I don't understand how but I'm just a dumb electrician. That would be the first thing I would unplug and walk it back to the camper for safe keeping but that's just me. If it goes bad and stopps working you simple unplug it and plug your camper back in and your good to go. If the hard wire unit goes bad, and does not work in BY-pass mode, You are forced to remove it yourself or call a tech to do it. You do know these thing only go bad on a holiday weekend in the middle of nowhere RIGHT!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

What Cavie said! I am even looking at possibly adding a "full service" one to our home. Seems the past few power outages we are getting a low voltage feed to the house. After conversations with the local electric suppliers engineers we believe someone is using a generator when the power is out without having a transfer switch. Low or high voltage is not good in your RV or home.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #7

Like cavie says " just a surge protector is a waste..." Spend the extra buckos and get the EMS whether it's portable or hardwired. Mine is the PI portable and I secure it to the post with a Master cable lock to discourage all but the highly motivated. I throw a plastic trash can liner over the whole works to keep the rain out of the connections, etc. From my experience, the instances of low voltage are way more common than the surges and you want it to shut down. Pretty common when the CGs are full and everybody's running ACs etc.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendgypsy View Post
If anyone has any recommendations or comments on the different types of S P I would appreciate it.
Here you go:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendgypsy View Post

What kind of camper trailer or 5er?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	198070Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	198071. These I recommend
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #10

Never knew. I love this forum. Thanks for contributing, you guys!
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

An EMS system is cheap insurance when you consider the thousand$ it costs to replace all your onboard electronic devices from furmace, fridge board, tv, AC, HWH, etc.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A straight "Surge Protector" is a total waist of money in my book. It only protects from incoming large surges and is a one time use item when hit. Low voltage is your enemy in a campground. What you need to buy is an EMS system. It protect not only large surges but high and low voltage as well. Also checks for correct wiring. "Surge Protector" is an electric trade name for a particular type of product. It does just what it says it is SURGE protector. Look for a "Progressive Industries" EMS in the amperage to match your RV. "Surge Guard" is a product trade name. You must read the specs on what you are buying.

The sad part is the average Joe doesn't know the difference between the two and doesn't know which he has.

As for portable or hard wired that's up to you. I'm told Portable get's forgot and left behind at camp. I don't understand how but I'm just a dumb electrician. That would be the first thing I would unplug and walk it back to the camper for safe keeping but that's just me. If it goes bad and stopps working you simple unplug it and plug your camper back in and your good to go. If the hard wire unit goes bad, and does not work in BY-pass mode, You are forced to remove it yourself or call a tech to do it. You do know these thing only go bad on a holiday weekend in the middle of nowhere RIGHT!

I walk around campgrounds right much and I hardly ever see a portable unit, maybe they are all hardwired. Most people that’s parked beside us don’t even know what they are. I have the portable 50 amp model and it’s pretty much useless, it has quit working four times, it has been back to the factory three times and needs to go back now. I seem to have misplaced the invoice. I think I wasted $350 bucks, the portable unit is not very water resistant.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
What kind of camper trailer or 5er?Attachment 198070Attachment 198071. These I recommend
Agreed!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I walk around campgrounds right much and I hardly ever see a portable unit, maybe they are all hardwired. Most people that’s parked beside us don’t even know what they are. I have the portable 50 amp model and it’s pretty much useless, it has quit working four times, it has been back to the factory three times and needs to go back now. I seem to have misplaced the invoice. I think I wasted $350 bucks, the portable unit is not very water resistant.
Our unit which is the Progressive Industries portable EMS-PT30X has worked consistently for a long time and has withstood all kinds of weather including the incredible downpours. The newer models have a cover over the plug which I don't think is even needed. We never had one on the older one we had and it never shorted out in any kind of rain. (That one was stolen along with everything else in our RV compartments at a "locked" storage facility, so now we have the new version with the rain shield.)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #15

I put in a hardwired progressive one. It has the bypass switch. I don't have to worry about forgetting it or having someone steal it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #16

I have the Progressive Industries portable EMS-PT30X as well and it's been a solid performer and trouble free. Don't know if it's saved me or not but it's like insurance, many people think it's a waste until you need it. One event and I could be looking at thousands of $$$ of electronics needing to be replaced so I figured for under $300, I'd play it safe.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Never knew. I love this forum. Thanks for contributing, you guys!
I have been camping for years but learn oe or more things every time I get on this forum. Great folks and great information found here.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #18

I have the Progressive mounted surge protector. There is a remote read out that tells you the voltage, amps and error code numbers. Really nice to see what each individual component draws for power!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
An EMS system is cheap insurance when you consider the thousand$ it costs to replace all your onboard electronic devices from furmace, fridge board, tv, AC, HWH, etc.
It depends on your camper and your camping style. With an A-frame, there are only a few appliances on the AC side - the Cool Cat air conditioner, the microwave ($35 cheapie), the fridge AC coil (the control board is DC), the converter, and anything plugged into AC outlets.

The $$ risk is just not that great, especially when the likelihood and effects of either a surge or brownout is considered. A brownout would only have a detrimental effect on the Cool Cat and perhaps the microwave. A high power surge - which will go through most surge protectors - may cause more damage.

And if you avoid private campgrounds, prefer to dry camp or boondock, you have just reduced your risk that much more.

Because we dry camp about 40%, and most of the rest is in public campgrounds which cater to smaller RVs and tent campers, the risk just isn't that high for us.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote