Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Your Current RV vs. What You Had and Why
Motor Home to 5th Wheel 5 71.43%
5th Wheel to Motor Home 1 14.29%
Motor Home to 5th Wheel to Motor Home 0 0%
5th Wheel to Motor Home to 5th Wheel 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #21

Growing up Dad had a TT and the family enjoyed it, We did do a trip with a pop-up and the TT was a huge improvement.
I jumped into a DP MH and while there are many advantages the thing our dog and I hate is that you hear every thing you have on board rattling over every bump.

I imagine that in the comfort of an truck pulling a 5th wheel you would have piece and quite compared to a MH.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #22

My parents did the pup thing in the 60's. And yes we were the soaked kids in the bunk with the real canvas tenting. They went to a tt in the 70's. Found a cg they really like and did the park model thing for 30+ years. Even after my dad retired they would go from double wide in fla for winters back to the park model for summers. Mom is gone now and after she passed we'd bring my father up for a full summer of camping like 'the good ole days".
Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #23

We are 2 1/2 months and 8,200 miles into a 3 month, 9,500 mile trip in our 27 ft TT toy hauler. We have decided we are happy with our setup and cannot see going any larger. I pull with my F150 Ecoboost. We have gotten really fast at set up and breakdown. Many of our friends cannot understand how we do it, but we are having the time of our lives.

A bit of advice, you may want to consider marriage counseling before setting out on a journey like ours. After 40 years we have most of the bugs worked out
Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #24

We are switching from a Class C to a 5th wheel after owning it for 1 year. I loved the RV, but after long trips driving the RV, we would pull over to a campsite, set up and go back in the RV. I couldn't relax that much seeing the steering wheel and dashboard. My wife always wanted the 5th wheel, so she gets her wish this Saturday. Plus with the RV you have to tow a vehicle or break down your campsite if you want to drive somewhere. We found out that both our vehicles were non towable, so it was more cost effective to swap out to a 5th wheel and nice pickup truck.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #25

It will all be personal preference. Prior to my retirement me and the DW spent better than a year looking at different makes, models and floor plans. We finally decided on a fifth wheel. We couldn't find a floor plan in a MH that offered as much living space that was within our price range. Some people will argue that the MH is easier to set up, however I unhook my truck instead of the toad and hit one button to level just like the MH. I will agree that driving a large truck vs a smaller toad around sometimes has it's challenges but you get use to it. As stated previously there's a lot of pros and cons to both, so take your time, do your research and pick what works best for you.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #26

went from small old pop up to 28' TT w/ slideouts...camping doesn't feel as much like 'camping' as it used to. More convenient in many ways of course.

Tempted to get a small TT or popup as it's a lot more 'work' and cost to drag the big one that it was the small pop up. We'd like to go tour the west next summer but the cost of gas/campground vs car/hotels/convenience (you can stop anyplace in a car, not so easy in a 50' rig) has us wondering. Took the pop up down south and had a great time, mix of hotels and CGs.

Now retirement thoughts, full timing...5vr I think. Talked to a lot of people as i'd want a MH but most I've talked to seem to come out in favor of a 5vr.

A lot may depend on your personal needs, floorplan, how much you really use it.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #27

Bumper tow to a 5th wheel to a big honking motor home (all in a 2 year span..unfortunate for me all except the bumper tow were brand new, I took a beating!).......for us it was due to our dogs (5 of them)....much better to travel with them....would never go back I don't think, we love the motor home. I could see a fifth wheel if you don't move around too much, they certainly are nice.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #28

The big question is: What are you going to do when you arrive at a destination? If it's put out the awning and have a cocktail in a lounge chair, then it's a fifth wheel . If you want to go boating or off roading then it's a slide in truck camper towing your toy. Buy both and have the best of both worlds.
wagonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #29

We started off with a 25' TT and at that time I dreamt of owning a 45' tag axle diesel pusher MH. Even after getting a much larger TT I still wmated the MH. This year we purchased the fifth wheel and I'm now happy to stay at that. At 41' it is all living space and it also gives me two entry doors which I haven't seen in a MH.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 41 nights and 4620km.......and we're done

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote