Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbm View Post
Hi,

Enlightening thread.

This thread has me rethinking something we’ve been doing for years. We always leave a few pieces of wood for the next folks who may arrive late and appreciate the gesture. After three pages of posts about people gleefully scavenging other sites for free wood and not one person mentioning how nice it was to arrive to a site with a small supply to get started, I think I will stop doing this. My goal is not to provide a source of firewood for those to cheap to get their own.

Yes, I understand it’s abandoned, and that you are not stealing it, but it’s a little sad.

Geo

Well that is a circumstance I did not consider. Very nice of you to have been doing that.

I think there may be 2 different kinds of scavengers. Those that see some wood next door and feel it is abandoned and those that make it a project.

I have never found any appreciable amount of wood. Of course I don't get up until 10am on camping days I might end up pulling some unburned wood from a fire ring with charred ends.

We also camp exclusively at State and COE parks. And normally any dead wood found on the ground is legal to use. I have my little ax for that.

Have fun with this burning question
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Hi,

Enlightening thread.

This thread has me rethinking something we’ve been doing for years. We always leave a few pieces of wood for the next folks who may arrive late and appreciate the gesture. After three pages of posts about people gleefully scavenging other sites for free wood and not one person mentioning how nice it was to arrive to a site with a small supply to get started, I think I will stop doing this. My goal is not to provide a source of firewood for those too cheap to get their own.

Yes, I understand it’s abandoned, and that you are not stealing it, but it’s a little sad.

Geo
This reminds me. I had meant to ask if anyone has ever shown up to a campsite and found wood left from the previous person.

I know I never have.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
This reminds me. I had meant to ask if anyone has ever shown up to a campsite and found wood left from the previous person.

I know I never have.

As I mentioned, only a few scraps of unburned wood with charred ends.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #64

Yes, at Chopaka Lake near the Canadian Border in Washington State. We decided to meet up there the 3rd week-end in Sept several years ago, figuring it would not be crowded. Little did we know there was a fishing get together and the place was full except one large spot, at the far end. There were 2 tents and my truck tent and a nice rock fire ring with a very nice stack of wood next to it. I added what I'd brought from my property and we had a lovely 3 days We invented Chopaka Stew in the cast iron pot, over the fire. Oh my was that good.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #65

I take it especially if I'm trying to have a fire and don't have wood . Heck we go as far as driving around a big camp ground a scavenging wood .Especially on our big multi family camp trip that we take right after the 4th of July . There is usually a truck load left behind from the 4th of July weekend . Some times it will get us through our whole week of camping . I highly doubt the person that left it had the intentions that only someone in that specific spot could use it .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #66

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I've got better things to do while camping than scrounging for a few pieces of firewood. I bring or buy what I need. Do what makes you feel good, but taking leftover firewood from a neighboring site would make me feel "dirty".
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #67
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Hi,

Enlightening thread.

This thread has me rethinking something we’ve been doing for years. We always leave a few pieces of wood for the next folks who may arrive late and appreciate the gesture. After three pages of posts about people gleefully scavenging other sites for free wood and not one person mentioning how nice it was to arrive to a site with a small supply to get started, I think I will stop doing this. My goal is not to provide a source of firewood for those too cheap to get their own.

Geo
Not sad at all. Once you abandon the wood, what happens to it is no longer your call. If you want the wood to go to the site’s next occupant, leave a note. I would respect such a note—and so would most other campers.

Taking wood that has been “willed” to the next occupant would be stealing—at least morally, if not legally.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #68

All this talk about scavenging wood, people stealing wood, etc. makes me glad for my propane fire pit.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2.
We are seeing more private campgrounds that don't allow you to leave any wood at any site. You hauled it in, you haul it out. I suppose the main reason is to keep their sites clean, and avoid all the nonsense over unclaimed wood some posters describe.
We are also seeing more restrictions on where you can transport firewood to and from due to insect problems. Some state and national parks and boondocking areas don't allow outside wood now. You have to buy it locally. So far I've never been asked to prove where my wood came from, but I fear that time is coming.
But definitely, if there is any firewood in any area I'm camping in, it will be added to the pile. And I never leave any, as I only unload what I use, the rest stays in the truck.
The National Forest Campgrounds around me are all "managed" by a private contractor. The contractor has established rules regarding wood having to be purchased from the Host. It's not about insects when they prevent purchase of wood that was cut in the same National Forest by an individual who's obtained a permit and is then selling to campers who will just be bringing it back to the source. It's PROFIT to the contractor.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #70

Any Archer fans?

I saw the title and thought, "phrasing?". LOL
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I saw the title and thought, "phrasing?". LOL
I must admit that it was the 'phrasing' that made me read the post originally.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #72

Take the wood. Burn it. If some didn't get used, leave for the next camper.

Have Fun!!!
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #73
Gbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Not sad at all. Once you abandon the wood, what happens to it is no longer your call. If you want the wood to go to the site’s next occupant, leave a note. I would respect such a note—and so would most other campers.

Taking wood that has been “willed” to the next occupant would be stealing—at least morally, if not legally.

You misunderstood...or maybe I wasn't clear. I understand that the wood is left sitting there for anyone to take. I meant it's a bit sad to me that we thought we'd been doing a small favor for the next camper only to realize (from the responses in this thread) that it's almost a sport to go scrounging for wood when someone leaves. No big deal, I'll just leave a cleaner campsite.

Geo
Gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:08 AM   #74

I was recently at a Corp campground. When I arrived there were two nice pieces of wood in my fire ring....if one of you left it thanks!

They don't sell wood there and the only nearby store was closed and out of wood until friday. It was monday and the folks around me had fires all day long. I watched them take a wagon into the woods and come out with cut and split wood...no saw noise. I guess they had trimmed the trees for the Frisby golf course. I used my gas fire pit until later that week and burned the two sticks and bought more when the shop opened days later. The host mentioned where to buy wood, not where to obtain wood. The rules did allow you to pick up dead wood so I suppose folks were following the rules.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:23 AM   #75

I'm surprised there is any discussion or any dissenting opinions as to whether or not it's okay to take wood left behind by other campers. Why should it matter? If the last campers left it behind, they no longer have any claim to it. First come, first serve. If wood is left behind and I'm low, I'm grabbing it.

FWIW, I nearly always leave wood behind when I'm done. I could give two sharts who gets it next.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And my browser won't even let me visit that site for security reasons!
Same here. Got High security risk warning from the site.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #77

Had a large tool box on the back of our Cherokee and in that box was a tool box of Spare Pressure regulators, close to a dozen. Several spare power cord adapters...15 to 30, 30 to 50. Assorted tools from awning hooks to cranks for manual jacks, tools for manually raising or lowering the tongue jack. Had a large assortment of TEE's for water hydrants to hook up multiple hoses on one hydrant. All of this was accumulated from forgetful people at campsites we've visited.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #78

I collect "leftover firewood " from the campsites near ours,I Never have a campfire but by collecting all the "wet,halfburnt, crappy,chemical treated, glue infested stuff people call firewood " and Not having a fire makes for a more enjoyable time for us! Youroo! !
Old 10-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #79

This is quite and enlightening discussion on people’s character. It never ceases to amaze me how people justify their actions. There is no such thing as abandoned property on PRIVATE property. It’s very simple if you didn’t pay for it it’s not yours.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
This is quite and enlightening discussion on people’s character. It never ceases to amaze me how people justify their actions. There is no such thing as abandoned property on PRIVATE property. It’s very simple if you didn’t pay for it it’s not yours.
People's character? Justifying actions? Give me a break. It's leftover firewood. That's hardly an insight into someone's character.

And camping on private property is a rarity for many of us. I mostly boondock or camp in state/national parks and forests.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote