RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #81
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbm View Post
You misunderstood...or maybe I wasn't clear. I understand that the wood is left sitting there for anyone to take. I meant it's a bit sad to me that we thought we'd been doing a small favor for the next camper only to realize (from the responses in this thread) that it's almost a sport to go scrounging for wood when someone leaves. No big deal, I'll just leave a cleaner campsite.

Geo
I may be misunderstanding again, but that the wood did not go to the camper to whom you intended it to go shouldn’t prompt you to stop leaving the wood. Just tack a note on it saying, “Please leave this wood for the next camper on this site. This wood is a gift from me to him. Thank you.” Or just let the wood be a gift to anyone.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #82
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
This is quite and enlightening discussion on people’s character. It never ceases to amaze me how people justify their actions. There is no such thing as abandoned property on PRIVATE property. It’s very simple if you didn’t pay for it it’s not yours.
Legally and morally, there is such a thing as “abandoned property”—on private property and otherwise. The only alternative to considering it abandoned is to leave it there until it rots or the original purchaser comes back to that site—maybe years later—and reclaims their wood.

I have often left items that I no longer want next to the curb (on my private property). It is well and truly abandoned. It often disappears. The people who take and use those items are doing me (and the world) a favor by leaving less stuff to rot.

BTW, everyone here who has said they have left wood upon vacating their site, has explicitly stated that their intent was for another to benefit from burning it.

Please do not impugn the character of others. You have your valid (and, IMO, flawed) opinion. Others have differing opinions—not bad character.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
What nomad described is straight up stealing. They are the type of people that would walk out of a store with a few extra items stuffed in their clothes or their bags. Or pump gas and drive away without paying for it.
You are exactly right — I am describing stealing, but I am only describing the theft of firewood. There is so much more at my site and every other site that is susceptible to easy theft, but nothing else ever gets stolen from sites at my campground. For some reason, some people seem to think that it is fine to steal firewood, though. I wouldn’t care one bit if somebody — anybody — needed firewood one night and came over to my site to take some if they left a note saying “Thank you” with an explanation and their name and site number, or if they returned some firewood sometime later, or if they just left a few dollars stuck into the pile where I would find it, but none of these things have ever happened.

Bruce
Old 10-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Legally and morally, there is such a thing as “abandoned property”—on private property and otherwise. The only alternative to considering it abandoned is to leave it there until it rots or the original purchaser comes back to that site—maybe years later—and reclaims their wood.

I have often left items that I no longer want next to the curb (on my private property). It is well and truly abandoned. It often disappears. The people who take and use those items are doing me (and the world) a favor by leaving less stuff to rot.

BTW, everyone here who has said they have left wood upon vacating their site, has explicitly stated that their intent was for another to benefit from burning it.

Please do not impugn the character of others. You have your valid (and, IMO, flawed) opinion. Others have differing opinions—not bad character.
I see your someone who likes to tell people what to do and how to think. Nice try. However if you steal your character might come into question. Are there circumstances where one might collect firewood from a site they don’t inhabit, sure. There are always exceptions. You can’t impugn a persons character if they have none. You can play your word games all you want it doesn’t change the situation.

BTY when you put your garbage at the curb its not private property! You can ask everyone in prison about that fun fact.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #85

If there was a note on a left behind pile of wood to "leave for next camper on that site" I would honor that request.

Only once have I ever pulled into a site with a pile of wood left behind. Two years ago we were at Wilderness SP in MIchigan. It was pouring like no tomorrow. After getting drenched through my Gore Tex jacket filling the fresh water tank and checking in, we found our reserved site encroached with tents from the adjoining site that was packed with trucks and boats. The office gave us another site in the forested area of the campground, and when we backed in and set up, still pouring out, we discovered a pretty large pile of heavy hardwood cut firewood. So much so, we used that wood for campfires during our stay, loaded some up in our toad, and left some behind for the next camper to enjoy.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #86
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
I see your someone who likes to tell people what to do and how to think. Nice try. However if you steal your character might come into question. Are there circumstances where one might collect firewood from a site they don’t inhabit, sure. There are always exceptions. You can’t impugn a persons character if they have none. You can play your word games all you want it doesn’t change the situation.

BTY when you put your garbage at the curb its not private property! You can ask everyone in prison about that fun fact.
BTW, the property all the way to the street is my private property. Anything that anyone takes that I put at the curb is literally being taken from my private property. (I live in Ohio. I cannot speak to other States.)

I am not the one making judgments about the person with whom I am corresponding. I am sticking to facts and my opinions about things, not about other people.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #87

This thread has become hilarious!

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
This thread has become hilarious!
Or....Click image for larger version

Name:	homophones-16-638.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	240853
Old 10-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #89

^ As long as he had permission to do it.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #90

Be like Trogdor and burninate the firewood!

Finger Lakes is our home area, and you can transport wood up to a 50 mile radius from the campground. Worked out well for us, we're within 50 miles from Sampson State park. Got rid of a lot of fallen tree limbs from home.

For the history of Trogdor...

Old 10-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
During a recent camp at one of our favorite New York State Parks campground, Keuka Lake SP in the Finger Lakes region of NYS, I got admonished by my DW for taking the firewood left behind by the campers across from us when they vacated their site. I thought, why not, if not me, someone else will just grab it.

So, what do you do when camping and your neighbor leaves a pile of nice cut firewood behind, or, driving or walking the campground you see left behind wood. Take it, or, leave it for the next person? To me, it's like finding $10 or $20 on the ground.
Great subject.
I’m on your side, use it or loose it.
Love a fire at this time of the year and just can’t imagine anyone complaining at left behind fuel.
Only thing better is when other strangers join you for good conversation around the fire glow.
Alan Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #92

Taking firewood

The only thing that I might add about taking the firewood is this, In our area spotted lantern flies are a serious problem. They lay their eggs on everything including firewood, they kill trees. I'd say leave the wood so you don't carry bad insects somewhere. Burn it where you are and enjoy!
jumpjet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #93

Take the firewood. I do😊
Cloud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #94

Gave up on Wood

I am done lugging wood and moving away from smoke every two minutes. Bought a propane fire pit. Add some mesquite wood chips in some foil. Great heat and ambiance.
Daphlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #95

Do what your wife says. Happy wife happy life. Doesn't matter that you may be right.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #96

I've left behind a lot of firewood in my years of camping. Even have occasionally backed into a spot that others have left some behind. I never cared one way or another who used it after I was gone. I suppose that I did hope the next person that occupied my site got it to use, but if it was someone else, not a concern.
We often camp in a state park east of Cincinnati. At the loop we generally stay on, the loop host rides around on her golf cart and trailer every day and picks up any firewood left behind when she checks the site. She had a pile of wood at her site that looked like it had two cord.
I don't mind people picking up wood but what makes me uneasy is seeing an older pickup or car cruising slowly around loops. Makes me think they aren't just scoping out left over wood.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #97

Firewood

A friend of mine went to a site with no one on it and helped himself to some firewood. Turns out, the campers had gone to town in their C-class to shop. When they came back they reported "the theft". It did not go well for my friend because someone had seen him on the site.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #98

Don’t move the wood!

I live in an area that is currently being devastated by GSOB, a beetle not native and brought in on firewood. We have lost 20% of our oak trees in 5 years. Other areas in California have lost more than 50% of their oaks.
BigHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
This reminds me. I had meant to ask if anyone has ever shown up to a campsite and found wood left from the previous person.

I know I never have.
I did just this past weekend, and this CG has a TON of seasonal sites that people were at. There was probably half a "pack" that they sell at the CG wrapped up by the fire pit.
old442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #100

There were a couple of folks here that said they wouldn't take the wood. Just because you didn't rent the site doesn't mean you can't go on it when there's nobody there, TAKE THE WOOD!
Gene_M is offline   Reply With Quote