Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #141
PhD, Common Sense

It is illegal in almost every State to move untreated firewood. In many States, it is even illegal to move kiln-dried or treated firewood. At least one State requires all wood loads to be documented.

South Carolina has just discovered a new infestation. I donít know if it was caused by someone having moved wood, but anyone moving wood from the infestation area risks spreading the infestation.

Please stop moving firewood!

More information: https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/

Burn your wood in placeóor leave if for another camper. If someone leaves wood, burn it before someone else has a chance to move some devastating pest.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
It is a over kill when you try to buy it.I have a shelter when I can store it so I bring my home.I havnt bought wood but maybe once in the last ten yrs bc I didn't take enough with me
I hope you camp in the same county you live in? Otherwise you shouldn't be moving firewood.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #143

Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
During a recent camp at one of our favorite New York State Parks campground, Keuka Lake SP in the Finger Lakes region of NYS, I got admonished by my DW for taking the firewood left behind by the campers across from us when they vacated their site. I thought, why not, if not me, someone else will just grab it.

So, what do you do when camping and your neighbor leaves a pile of nice cut firewood behind, or, driving or walking the campground you see left behind wood. Take it, or, leave it for the next person? To me, it's like finding $10 or $20 on the ground.
We recently left our campsite in Iowa and left behind a bundle of firewood because it was too windy to burn the night before. Iowa has a wood quarantine from county to county because of emerald ash borer so we left it for any remaining campers. We had been gathering our firewood and helping to clean up after Derecho but, after a long day with family, opted to purchase a couple of bundles instead. The lady at the marina even suggested looking around at empty campsites.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/iowa/
Andre and Elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre and Elisha View Post
We recently left our campsite in Iowa and left behind a bundle of firewood because it was too windy to burn the night before. Iowa has a wood quarantine from county to county because of emerald ash borer so we left it for any remaining campers. We had been gathering our firewood and helping to clean up after Derecho but, after a long day with family, opted to purchase a couple of bundles instead. The lady at the marina even suggested looking around at empty campsites.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/iowa/

I know there is one campground in Iowa (Wilson Island) that sells firewoord for 25 cents a piece, the ranger or campground host keeps it stocked with downed trees from the campground, after the flooding in 2011 there was plenty of it. Viking lake campground has a recycle bin for the campers to put their cans and bottles in, the ranger there uses the proceeds for campground and park improvements.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I know there is one campground in Iowa (Wilson Island) that sells firewoord for 25 cents a piece, the ranger or campground host keeps it stocked with downed trees from the campground, after the flooding in 2011 there was plenty of it. Viking lake campground has a recycle bin for the campers to put their cans and bottles in, the ranger there uses the proceeds for campground and park improvements.
That is a great idea on the recycle bin! We were at Rock Creek State Park and Derecho left tree carcasses all over Central Iowa! The Marina sells firewood $11 a wheelbarrow and she fills it to the brim! The camping is so cheap it's easy to feel a little generous when we leave. $11/day for electric, $6/day for boondocking. I'll have to look up Wilson Island when back in the area, sounds interesting.
Andre and Elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Thats over kill it should be 10 pieces for a buck
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #147

Just got back from a little over a week in the backwoods. Took enough of my own pecan wood to have a blazing fire every night. Had enough left when leaving for one more night. I packed it up and took it home with me to use next time.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201018_185504488.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	241679
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #148

We have only come into a campsite once where someone left firewood. We rarely have time for a fire so it didn't really matter to me. I think that picking up some wood from a neighboring site to use (once you're sure that they've really left) is okay but going around the entire campground collecting wood seems a little sketchy. As to other items left I always turn them into the office. I once left our power jack manual crank at a campsite. I called back to see if they had found it but no luck. I spent a considerable amount of money trying to replace it (couldn't buy a replacement and couldn't find one that worked, even with modifications). We needed the crank as the power jack was failing and only worked about half the time. (we replaced the jack shortly thereafter - one reason being the lack of a manual crank) After this experience I make sure to turn in left items in case the people call or come back to retrieve them. Just the way I roll.
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #149

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
This reminds me of the time I had reserved 3 sites in a row in my own name. These were for some friends and myself. The first night one of my friends had some car trouble and didn't arrive at the campground till the next day. The site they were in had a better fire pit than ours so we used that site for our fire the first night. At the end of the evening we moved our chairs back over to the site we were camped in but I forgot to grab my cherished fire poker that I had used (and loved) for about 30 years. Woke up fairly early the next morning but it was already gone. It was not turned in to lost and found. This site was near the bathrooms so I assume that someone used this "empty" site as a shortcut on their way to the rest rooms and figured the poker had been left just for them. I still get a little upset when I think about it. It took quite a bit of effort but I eventually found a fire poker I like even more. I protect it like it's made of gold even though I shouldn't have to.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #150

If I see wood laying around in a empty site .i also pick it up as long I know they arent coming back.If I find anything that looks like somebody left behind I would turn it in or give the office my phone no so they can call me
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote