Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Smile Taking delivery via transporter

I am considering having a travel trailer delivered to me via an RV transporter.

Can someone comment on how that went with the transport driver when he arrived at the predetermined delivery location?

Are these transport drivers familiar with the workings of a trailer, enough so that they can do the PDI routine?...

I am in Las Vegas and loathe to drive 2000 miles to the Midwest to pick up a trailer I am considering purchasing.

Please don't question me on why not buy local.....thank you.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Do make sure the inspection paperwork is in order with detailed documentation from initiating dealer and transporter upon pickup. ASK for a sample document, prior to entering into a contract, so you can see the detail given to your transport. Sorta along the lines when you turn in a rental car stuff marking off any damage. A good transporter will have preprinted forms to provide you for your record. Make sure your transporter inspects the trailer along with the dealer and have signatures from both. Your concern is cosmetic items, scratches, etc. Then, and only then can you hold anybody accountable. Do walk the unit upon delivery to confirm the documentation provided. The other stuff, if it occurs, is a warranty issue with your mfg network after the fact. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Would it be reasonable to expect any delivery person to be familiar with the trailer, enough so that he/she could provide a PDI at the point of delivery?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

If RVs is their business, absolutlely. Although the PDI covers operational instruction, that would not be expected. Your focus is safe, complete delivery. The operational stuff is, in your case, is going to be reading manuals and asking here for the puzzling stuff, if any.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcortez View Post
Would it be reasonable to expect any delivery person to be familiar with the trailer, enough so that he/she could provide a PDI at the point of delivery?
Probably not.
See if you could hire a mobile repair service to look at it or have a friend that is very experienced with campers help you.
The driver is a driver, probably knows no more particulars of your camper than what hes seen while towing it.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Ok got all that and thank you.

The dealer I was considering buying from has a delivery option to wherever I want.
To my driveway or any point between them and my home area.

I have sent an email to this dealer seeking more information and the logistics of transport delivery, to include PDI concerns.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Your Delivery service is only responsible for a safe delivery, without any physical damage . He pulls a different RV every day and could care less about the operation of them.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Well, you could provide a little more information....
Are you buying new or used?
What are you buying?
Are you buying from a private party or a dealer?
If dealer, are you using their transporter or hiring private?
Is this your first rig?
With the above information, we can provide additional help.
New
Travel trailer
Dealer
Dealer arranged transporter
First trailer but have towed boats before.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Your Delivery service is only responsible for a safe delivery, without any physical damage . He pulls a different RV every day and could care less about the operation of them.
I had assumed this and thank you.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcortez;13750v[LIST=1
[/LIST]44]New
Travel trailer
Dealer
Dealer arranged transporter
First trailer but have towed boats before.

Thanks
I deleted my post from above because several questions were answered while I was typing.
Is this going to be a Forest River unit? If it is, Some here will have your exact model to help you with specific questions you might have on operation of your systems.
If not, many systems are used throughout the industry so we can still help.
I would not count on a PDI from the driver, just hope for a safe delivery.
You can count on new trailer issues so find out who your dealer plans on you using to fix things and work the bugs out.
Also, call the place that the dealer recommends to make sure they will work on your unit.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

Yes.... a Forest River trailer model Vibe Extreme lite 224RLS.

I sent the dealer an email asking the various logistical issues just today.
I hope to hear back early next week.

Has anyone had first hand experience in taking delivery via a transporter that would care to share that experience?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Site Team

It would help if you posted the dealer's name.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Just doesn't make any sense to me. Adding a lot of risk and confusion to save a few dollars.

The transporter is not the issue, but for sure, the dealer will try to blame any problems on the transporter.

It is more about throwing away your best opportunity to do your own PDI and get issues fixed before you take possession of the unit.

Seems like a lot of people have to learn the hard way.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcortez View Post
Yes.... a Forest River trailer model Vibe Extreme lite 224RLS.

I sent the dealer an email asking the various logistical issues just today.
I hope to hear back early next week.

Has anyone had first hand experience in taking delivery via a transporter that would care to share that experience?
My Dad has had 2 units delivered to his house by transporter. The first one they paid extra for a pdi. The fella tried, but only had basic knowledge and was in a hurry to get back on the road. My Dad got his pdi money back. The second unit, the fella dropped it off, we started looking at it and nearly had to sit on him to get him to stay long enough to ensure the rig wasn't damaged.

These guys are transporters, don't expect them to know any details. But it was a good delivery service and the rigs got there undamaged and my Dad didn't have to drive across the country to get them. So for him, it was worth it. I would never do it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It would help if you posted the dealer's name.
I have yet to make the decision on a transport or just pull a road trip to Ohio from Las Vegas.....
This is where RV Wholesale and RV Nation is located.

For comparison purposes only:

Local dealer (local being all the way to Oregon) 224RLS Vibe Extreme lite won't even talk to me unless I pay $23500. for this unit.

Both RV Wholesale and RV Nation quoted immediately....mid $18 prices.
There was no "call me, let's talk or any of that other jive sales tactics.
Just a straight up cost for the unit I had configured....and sent within seconds to my email.

One Phoenix La Mesa RV location jacked me around....would never give a "best price", had to talk to the manager, had the lowest "local price" anywhere, beat me up on buying from out of area and said I would be SOL on service and on and on......see ya pal.

Another dealer in Oregon had the listed "reduced" price of $23050.
I called them....they asked how much I was willing to pay....I told them $20K
He said no way.....ok fine......see ya.

Another Pahrump (local to Las Vegas) dealer, a person who sounded like a kid who answered the phone..."yeah hello"....I offered $20K for the unit they had listed at $23995. The "kid" said he would have to talk to his granddad about that but didn't think so. Ok fine see ya.

Frankly I am tired of the run around and the BS......on many dealer websites it says "get the best price here".....so you enter your contact info and a salesman gets back.....and NEVER did any of them give me a "best price"....it was always......"well, call us and come in and are you a serious buyer, when will you make the purchase".... without actually giving their best price.

I just need to figure out what is going to be the most cost effective way to secure this trailer......pull the road trip to Ohio or have the trailer transported to maybe the Denver area.....or about half way.

Either way I will be ahead of the game by 20 or so "C" notes as compared to these local jerks that I have contacted.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Canadian Member

Personally, I'd prefer to pick it up and turn the trip into a vacation. I'd rather do the PDI at the dealer and have the pressure on them to make it right before I sign the papers than to have the pressure on me to reject it after it's been delivered to my home. If you can afford the time, go and get it and immediately after signing for it, take it for a shake down at a local campground for several days so you can do a thorough inspection before hauling it home.

These trailers are not delivered like cars - they are pulled down the road and you have no control over how much care the transporter takes - speed, routes, driving style. I'd hate to have it delivered only to find a significant problem and have to either send it back or arrange for a fix locally. That being said, RV Wholesalers and few other internet dealers have a good reputation among FRF members.

If time is problem, have you considered flying to the dealer's location, taking a few days to do the PDI and a local shake down and then having a transporter drive it home while you fly back? You could save a week and a half of your time. I had considered doing that when our Cdn dollar was above par and I was looking to buy, but you're still going to have to live with the dealer's choice of transporter.

Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #17
Site Team

marcortez, yours is the same story as ours.
No California dealer would come within even $2000 of the Midwest dealers.
We ended up driving Chicago and back.
We just made a camping trip out of the return leg.
RVW's co-owner, David Durnell, is a member here and you can contact him about their drivers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

If time is problem, have you considered flying to the dealer's location, taking a few days to do the PDI and a local shake down and then having a transporter drive it home while you fly back? You could save a week and a half of your time. I had considered doing that when our Cdn dollar was above par and I was looking to buy, but you're still going to have to live with the dealer's choice of transporter.

Good luck.
Time I have gobs of.....inclination to drive anywhere beyond the Rockies, not so much.
A thousand miles of corn and wheat fields is not my thing. I am a mountain man

Fly there?....well dangit all....I never thought of that.....great idea!!
I have already penciled it out on travel expenses to Ohio and back to Las Vegas....cracking the nuts out of a $1000 bill.
I am sure I could fly there and back for less??

On edit and second thoughts....If I was there in Ohio, buy it, PDI it and just hook up and pull a road trip West........via South Dakota to get a SD drivers license and registration......bingo!!.....
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

I would question the dealer on PDI, issues at time of delivery and warranty work. Get it in writing and is you are happy with the answers I would consider going with them, if there answers are sketchy I would not go that way. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
marcortez, yours is the same story as ours.
No California dealer would come within even $2000 of the Midwest dealers.
We ended up driving Chicago and back.
We just made a camping trip out of the return leg.
RVW's co-owner, David Durnell, is a member here and you can contact him about their drivers.
The funny and sorta scamy thing is.....these West coast dealers are trying to tell me they have to pay way more shipping from Forest River as compared to back East...

Well that's hogwash......there is a FR plant in Oregon....about as "West" as one could get.

Then they go on that the West configs are configured different, with more insulation and heated underbelly and all those frilly things, all because us campers out West do it year around whereas the East campers put their campers into hibernation for 4-6 months.

The dealers I contacted just were not straight up with me on the "best" price....pulling rope-a-dope antics and not one of them....would just tell me the best price.

I was immediately impressed by both RV Nation and RV Wholesalers...
None of the nonsense......and almost instantaneously, sent me their "best" price.....

Tags
sport