Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #21

Always take one of my Honda 2000 watt generstors. Have been caught with a power outage at the campground and it sure comes in handy. Well worth the little bit of space it takes up.
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I don't know what I'd do.........Never owned a generator.
X2
Old 08-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
We take ours with us because we usually camp in off the beaten path sites where there is no electric. Yes it does take up space in the truck but no more than 3 - 5 gallon water jugs. We have a Champion 3500 generator.
My generator is both half the size and weight of my Son. Just like carrying another family member.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #24

I have a nice little Honda. We use it on the houseboat to run the swamp cooler. We camp where it is cool, so we don't use AC. We use sleeping bags at night, so don't run the heater much. A microwave is convenient, but we took ours out to save space. I have a 100 watt panel on the roof, and another behindd the couch, for cloudy days. We have two golf cart batteries. We just went camping for the weekend, and I didn't notice the solar wasn't working. We are down to 90% on the batteries. I used to take the generator, but we never used it, so I don't take it now.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:46 AM   #25
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

I pack the exact same way whether I'm traveling across town or across the country. Generator, emergency TV fuel, full fresh water tank, extra propane etc..

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #26

Solar

We use a solar panel and do not bring a generator with us.
McFarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #27

Genny goes along

Our Sunseeker has a Generac genny built it so itís always available. Just push the switch on the Convenience panel to prime and then start the power flowing. Runs on RV gas and thereís a fail safe so we canít burn all the fuel by forgetting to turn it off.
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #28
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danengr1 View Post
Generators take up a lot of space and I was just wondering if most people always take their generator with them or only when going where they know electricity won't be available.
The ethernal paradox, damn if you do, damn if you do not.

Here is the deal, what level of comfort do you want? Are you always going to be Dry Docking, Wet? Does is required to be quiet and how quiet?

Is all based on personal comfort. Perhaps, you want to dry camp on Spring and Fall when temps are moderate and you only need Batteries for LED Lighting and the occasional heating.

Start by doing a Power Consumption survey, ACs and Microwaves are the biggest power hungry devices. If the weather is hot, stick to Docking with Power, Spring and Fall, dry camping and small gen to recharge the batteries. Or maybe... use your tow vehicle to recharge the batteries.

A note:
New campers like our 2020 Artic Wolf, they only come with DC Power fridge, no Propane. Apparently is more efficient than Propane but requires a small amount of DC only power. Perhaps a Solar Cell can cover the fridge only and/or few hrs of Tow Vehicle idle time for battery recharge.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Apparently is more efficient than Propane but requires a small amount of DC only power. Perhaps a Solar Cell can cover the fridge only and/or few hrs of Tow Vehicle idle time for battery recharge.
You must not have dry camped with your fridge yet.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #30

I haul generators in front of the 5th wheel hitch.

I ran into the same problem and decided to put my Honda 3000i and 3000eu as close as possible to the cab in front of the 5th wheel hitch. I also have a long bicycle lock cable that I run thru the handles of the generators and whatever else is up there (diesel & gas cans). Works well.

I have never had to use both together but the eu has a twist lock 120vac outlet so I typically use that one only. In MN we don't really use the air conditioner and one generator will (barely) handle the microwave).

BTW, you need a little cable to synch the two generators together - DON'T LOSE IT!!

BTW, after a recent experience in a MN State Park where my generator cover went missing, I HIGHLY recommend locking the generator to something in use.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
Our Sunseeker has a Generac genny built it so itís always available. Just push the switch on the Convenience panel to prime and then start the power flowing. Runs on RV gas and thereís a fail safe so we canít burn all the fuel by forgetting to turn it off.
The OP wasn't asking about built-in generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #32
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You must not have dry camped with your fridge yet.
I asked that question when I bought the camper. Apparently, the new tech on fridge got better. I do not know all details but somehow, was found a more efficient way for refrigerators. I still skeptical but the one we got is 100 DC power.

Is all about power and efficiency. We can go on circles with the math but all boils down to Power Consumption (Fuel, Electricity), does not matter, is all power consumption.

VW came out with a low power Silver Wafer in the Windshield for defrosting. Is more efficient than the heat blowing defroster.

Volkswagen’s new solution to the problem is to*use a*“wafer-thin electrically conductive layer of silver within the laminated glass” in lieu of traditional wires — and that means it’s invisible, ushering*in a new golden era of automotive ownership for car owners*often fraught with the*burden of*frost.*

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...eating-shroud/

Because that does not use propane does not mean that is not able to Boondock. Tech moves foward, paradigm shifts happen.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #33
Lets go camping!

i dont take mine with me if im going to a site with power.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I pack the exact same way whether I'm traveling across town or across the country. Generator, emergency TV fuel, full fresh water tank, extra propane etc..
My trailer is pretty much ALWAYS packed with the exception of food.

FW tank is filled with water and holding tanks empty. Generator fueled and waiting on it's platform (well secured and weather protected).

Not just ready to go camping at a moments notice but also ready to provide shelter in any emergency. I do live in Earthquake country and have experienced three relatively big ones since I've lived in this state.

Worst assumptions one can make-------Water and Electricity will always be available whenever and wherever. Maybe so--------right up to the time it isn't.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #35
KnP

Is all about METTT. Is a military way of we can say.... planing.

Mission
Enemy
Type
Time
Troops

Mission is what are you going to do
Enemy is what are you against
Type what type of challenges
Time is for how long
Troop is who is with you.

You can apply that to camping, make sure your Troops are not a group of whiners

Thinking that way, will help you to take what you need. Is near impossible to plan for all contingencies, if not, you will be packing heavier than a Mechanized Division
Old 09-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #36

Quote:
I asked that question when I bought the camper. Apparently, the new tech on fridge got better. I do not know all details but somehow, was found a more efficient way for refrigerators. I still skeptical but the one we got is 100 DC power.

Is all about power and efficiency. We can go on circles with the math but all boils down to Power Consumption (Fuel, Electricity), does not matter, is all power consumption.

VW came out with a low power Silver Wafer in the Windshield for defrosting. Is more efficient than the heat blowing defroster.

Volkswagen’s new solution to the problem is to*use a*“wafer-thin electrically conductive layer of silver within the laminated glass” in lieu of traditional wires — and that means it’s invisible, ushering*in a new golden era of automotive ownership for car owners*often fraught with the*burden of*frost.*

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...eating-shroud/

Because that does not use propane does not mean that is not able to Boondock. Tech moves foward, paradigm shifts happen.
I have been looking into these fridges for awhile now so I have started educating myself. Worst case, I already figure its going to consume 100AH/day. I will need another 100AH lithium battery and an additional 400W of solar.

So which one did you get? Hopefully not a Furrion with the useless Juicepack 50W panel on the top of your trailer.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
KnP

Got that combo, yet to see how it does. So far, the Juice Pack is as good as tits on a boarhog, but the camper was parked on the shade. The camper still new and we have not done a "Dry Run" to see how well it does. The Furion Fridge does get pretty darn cold. We used shore power for now, the wife will not dry camp in the heat.

Anyway, the camper was $32K brand new, so we did not complaint about it.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Got that combo, yet to see how it does. Turned out, the Juice Pack is as good as tits on a boarhog, but the camper was parked on the shade. The camper still new and we have not done a "Dry Run" to see how well it does. The Furion Fridge does get pretty darn cold. We used shore power for now, the wife will not dry camp in the heat.
What sized batteries do you have? Hopefully 4 6V minimum.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #39
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What sized batteries do you have? Hopefully 4 6V minimum.
Nope, factory issued, 1 single Deep Cycle 12 V, they are going to be changed for 6Vs.

I was thinking on a separate battery pack, some that I can carry and drop from the bed of the truck. It does have the Solar Cell plug in, use that as a power intake. Still debating what I want and do. All based on cash and convinience, Li-Ion is so darn expensive.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Nope, factory issued, 1 single Deep Cycle 12 V, they are going to be changed for 6Vs.

I was thinking on a separate battery pack, some that I can carry and drop from the bed of the truck. It does have the Solar Cell plug in, use that as a power intake. Still debating what I want and do. All based on cash and convinience, Li-Ion is so darn expensive.
Personally, I would not own of those 12VDC fridges without going LiFePO4.

Two 6vs won't be close to being enough.

Tags
generator