Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #41

We went the route of dual Champion 2000 watt units. First, they are a tad lighter than the Hondaís and a hellova lot cheaper. Second, I liked the idea of dual fuel (gas and propane) units. When I researched them, turns out they werenít that much louder than the Hondaís and even quieter on quiet mode (perfect for charging the batteries) and duals if we need to run the A/C. Now, you do take a 10% hit on power using propane but itís great not having to keep the maintenance on gas tanks.
Robmawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #42
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Personally, I would not own of those 12VDC fridges without going LiFePO4.

Two 6vs won't be close to being enough.
According to the dealer, that is the new tech now. So if you have a propane one, hang on to it.

Anyway, I am game as long is energy efficient. We have not tested yet to see how far it goes. One thing that I can say, is way louder than tte Propane one.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
According to the dealer, that is the new tech now. So if you have a propane one, hang on to it.

Anyway, I am game as long is energy efficient. We have not tested yet to see how far it goes. One thing that I can say, is way louder than tte Propane one.
My suggestion...test it in your driveway before you go on a trip. You are going to be in for a rude awakening.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #44

I looked up specs for a 9.9 Cubic foot GE 12 volt fridge here...
https://www.geappliances.com/applian...tor-GPV10FSNSB

Max amps according to published SPECS is 13.5, but in answer to a power question the "expert" quoted avg draw of 8-9 amps and only 3.96AH. SEE BELOW...

Quote:
OlgaB ∑ 6 months ago
Hello Mortneff - Thank you for your question; we are happy to help! 13A is the peak current, when the refrigerator running stable. The current draw should be around 8AĖ9A. Energy consumption should be 3.96AH per day. Thanks for checking!
This seems to me to be pretty efficient use of battery power to me.

I don't claim this is accurate... I just looked it up on the web on the official GE Appliance page

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #45

Even if you know you are going to a place with electricity available, you still don't know that it will work.
Last year storm came through and knocked out power for about 3 hours. It was hot enough it was worth firing up the gen.
Especially during the summer, unless I'm going to the COE park six miles from home I take it with me.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #46
KnP

Quote:
My suggestion...test it in your driveway before you go on a trip. You are going to be in for a rude awakening.
No doubt, as I said, yet to see. Right now the solar panel is somewhat shaded, need to find a spot that can be exposed 100% on the sun. Power drop on power in shade and cloudly days, so.... mileage will vary.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #47
KnP

Anyway, we are drifting from the original post of packing a Generator.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:25 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Nope, factory issued, 1 single Deep Cycle 12 V, they are going to be changed for 6Vs.
Your battery is NOT factory issued. Batteries on towables are dealer-installed.
So your dealer is to be blamed for the inadequate battery setup.
Most dealers only install the cheapest 12v dual purpose marine battery they can find. It's up to the consumer to negotiate a better battery setup before purchasing the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I looked up specs for a 9.9 Cubic foot GE 12 volt fridge here...
https://www.geappliances.com/applian...tor-GPV10FSNSB

Max amps according to published SPECS is 13.5, but in answer to a power question the "expert" quoted avg draw of 8-9 amps and only 3.96AH. SEE BELOW...

This seems to me to be pretty efficient use of battery power to me.

I don't claim this is accurate... I just looked it up on the web on the official GE Appliance page
LOL..not a chance 3.96AH/day.
That would mean the fridge would only run 30 minutes a day!

If the fridge takes 8A while running and it runs 50% of the time, that would be 96AH/day

That is around what I have calculated what I expect them to take. The GE is actually the fridge I have been looking at.

Not my first rodeo with 12V fridges either. My parents had a small 12v compressor Norcold in their boat. Even though it was a 1/3 of the size of these 10 cu ft fridges. It was a power hungry beast especially in warm weather.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Several models of 5th wheels can be ordered with a genset installed in the front basement compartment. Not sure I've seen that option on a TT but have on a TH.
Our Vengeance 31V toy hauler tag along has genset ready fuel tank, wired compartment, and control switch from the factory.
I also have a Honda eu3000i so chose not to install the rv genset. Use the compartment for storage. I don't dry camp enough to keep a dedicated generator functional. At least the Honda serves other purposes. Honda is very quiet also. Runs one AC with all other appliances forced to LP.
Installing the correct gasoline Onan into a gen ready unit is not a huge undertaking. If mechanically inclined.
If installing an Onan, I'd go with the 5500 unit. The 4k unit would be maxed out with only AC. Definitely gasoline fuel. LP is bad hungry. LP units are easier to store for extended periods. But, LP units will require a dedicated LP tank and additional plumbing for extended use.
I would highly recommend adding the genset 'ready' option if avail with a new unit.
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #51
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your battery is NOT factory issued. Batteries on towables are dealer-installed.
So your dealer is to be blamed for the inadequate battery setup.
Most dealers only install the cheapest 12v dual purpose marine battery they can find. It's up to the consumer to negotiate a better battery setup before purchasing the trailer.
Good to know, never asked the question because I assumed that was a factory installed item.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #52

Gas&Propane

Recently bought a Sportsman 4000 dual fuel. Only use propane so I can load in my Expedition without the gas smell. Backup in case we need to stop before getting to our site. Plan to use when we get bold enough to go off the grid!
DebbienSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #53

I don't take either of my generators all the time, but intend to do more often for just in case the opportunity arises that I would need one.

I have a question for those who take a generator with them and the generator is not stored inside but exposed to the elements. How do you protect them from the elements (rain, snow etc.)? I have used an A/C cover in the past, but was wondering what any of you might do to protect yours.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #54

I own a small 2000 w Honda but never take it camping. We almost always stay in campgrounds without hook ups but we are miserly with DC and recharge with a 100w Solar Panel. Have occasionally camped next to folks who feel they need to run their generator 10 hours a day. Different folks have different definitions of "camping".
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
I own a small 2000 w Honda but never take it camping. We almost always stay in campgrounds without hook ups but we are miserly with DC and recharge with a 100w Solar Panel. Have occasionally camped next to folks who feel they need to run their generator 10 hours a day. Different folks have different definitions of "camping".
I've run into a few of those too. Usually it's because their batteries are so worn out they don't have any capacity left. Or they run them down at night and it takes 10 hours to recharge

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've run into a few of those too. Usually it's because their batteries are so worn out they don't have any capacity left. Or they run them down at night and it takes 10 hours to recharge
I was next to a pop up the last time I camped. At noon, the generator went on and it didn't go off until generator off time at 8:00PM. Sad thing is that he probably could hardly hear it because of course it was on our door side and his exhaust was aimed away from his trailer. We were the only ones that got to suffer.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #57

Quote:
I was next to a pop up the last time I camped. At noon, the generator went on and it didn't go off until generator off time at 8:00PM. Sad thing is that he probably could hardly hear it because of course it was on our door side and his exhaust was aimed away from his trailer. We were the only ones that got to suffer.
Did you ever consider just reorienting the generator when he wasn't looking? (unless of course if it was a front mounted generator on a coach)

Most people I see at least put the generator BEHIND their units.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Did you ever consider just reorienting the generator when he wasn't looking?

Most people I see at least put the generator BEHIND their units.
Yes..thought crossed my mind. I was going to do it the next day but by that time he was gone. Problem was, since he had a pop up, I started thinking...what happens if the guy dies from CO poisoning since I reoriented his generator!
Old 09-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #59

I have no choice I have a residential fridge so when boon docking I must have an alternative back-up, I did upgrade my battery bank to 4 6v AGM batteries as well as purchased a solar panel.

I have a 3,000watt Honda and really do not have much of a problem carrying it in the bed of my pickup. I do leave it at home if I'm traveling to a campground with electric.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #60

I have a Champion 3100 that I took with on trips, but that was with my tag a long, now with the 5th wheel I have to rethink where to put it. My F150 that I used for traveling has a topper, so I just stored it back there, but the 5th wheel requires the bed to be open, so it is out in the elements. It is a inch too big to fit in the front bay, or I would store it there, but can't get it past the strut bracing for the jacks. The rear bumper is supposed to be able to carry 200 pounds, the gen is 80 pounds, but I don't know what the spare and carrier weigh, nor have I found a mount yet that will work.

What I like about the Champion, it is quiet, starts easy, and can run both AC units on the new trailer, so there is that, but it has a small fuel tank, and would have to be filled every few hours. We don't boondock, I need AC if I plan to get any sleep, and until I can put some good batteries in and up the solar, the 12v fridge will kill the battery in no time flat. I know, tested it a couple times, and found that when the battery hits 11.9 volts, it shuts off. So off grid would require the genny for us.

If I can protect it from rain in the bed of the truck, that will work too. I can run it in the truck bed, and it is so quiet, it would hardly be noticed 20' away. We can't hear it inside the trailer when I run it in the truck, with the truck parked nose to the trailer rear.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator