Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Koz

Temperature sensor monitor

I know a lot of us travel with our furry friends. What are some of the temperature sensor units for inside of your RV that you have used and found reliable. I have gone on the internet and I could choose between Wi-Fi and and cellular your units. Some review state units will not work with with rv park wi fi. Do I need to buy a booster also? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Koz 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

I have a regular old thermometer that I put in front of our tablet using alfred camera. You can use campground wifi or our tablet is connected since we dont use that while out and about.

It does notify me if there is motion but not on temp swings so I am curious what others use. I have lots of smarthome gear at sticks and bricks but assume little connectivity when camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

I cannot think of any RV park wifi I would rely on, especially when it comes to pet safety.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

I guess my first question is: What are you looking to accomplish?
By the sounds of your question, you're looking for a way to remotely monitor the interior temperature of your RV (BTW, it may be helpful to know what kind of RV you have). Also, based on the reference to "furry friends" (we travel with two!), your concern relates to your RV getting too hot for your pets. But to what end?
Sooooooo, if you leave your pets in the RV and go for a hike, and half way through a four hour hike, your remote monitor tells you that your RV is getting dangerously hot . . . then what? You've got a two hour hike back to your RV to open the windows/let the pets out/turn on the AC. That puts your pets at a tremendous risk. Even if you're just going to the store, what happens when you get the "high temp" alarm - even dropping everything and rushing back to open the windows/let the pets out/turn on the AC could endanger your pets.
I'm not trying to be facetious, but trying to get to a solution that works for you and your furry friends.
IF you have AC and a generator, why not look for an AGS system that you can use to fire up the generator and then the AC when the interior of your RV reaches a predetermined temperature? (Obviously, if you're on shore power, and I would assume as much seeing as your question suggests you're at a RV park, then just setting the AC unit would work).
If you don't have AC, then I guess I would question the wisdom of leaving your pets in the RV when there is a risk of it getting to a temperature that would require you to be there to open windows or let them out.
Again, not trying to come down on you - believe me, the reason I'm driving an RV instead of my motorcycle is because my wife can't leave the pets at home!! (Although I have to say they do add so much to the adventure, so it's not JUST my wife's fault! )
AND Be Safe!
Old 05-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #5

There are all kinds of gadgets to warn you of stuff today. But very, very few answer the "then what?" question the previous post alluded to.

We do leave our mini-wiener dog in the camper while we go into town. But if it's at all a warm day, we must be plugged in, and the A/C turned on to keep temps inside reasonable. Yes, if campground power fails, or the A/C doesn't work correctly, she's probably going to be toast before too long. If we're going to be gone more than a couple of hours, she usually goes with us.

90% of all software is input error trapping
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: Black Hills
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
Koz

Not even going to comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
I guess my first question is: What are you looking to accomplish?
By the sounds of your question, you're looking for a way to remotely monitor the interior temperature of your RV (BTW, it may be helpful to know what kind of RV you have). Also, based on the reference to "furry friends" (we travel with two!), your concern relates to your RV getting too hot for your pets. But to what end?
Sooooooo, if you leave your pets in the RV and go for a hike, and half way through a four hour hike, your remote monitor tells you that your RV is getting dangerously hot . . . then what? You've got a two hour hike back to your RV to open the windows/let the pets out/turn on the AC. That puts your pets at a tremendous risk. Even if you're just going to the store, what happens when you get the "high temp" alarm - even dropping everything and rushing back to open the windows/let the pets out/turn on the AC could endanger your pets.
I'm not trying to be facetious, but trying to get to a solution that works for you and your furry friends.
IF you have AC and a generator, why not look for an AGS system that you can use to fire up the generator and then the AC when the interior of your RV reaches a predetermined temperature? (Obviously, if you're on shore power, and I would assume as much seeing as your question suggests you're at a RV park, then just setting the AC unit would work).
If you don't have AC, then I guess I would question the wisdom of leaving your pets in the RV when there is a risk of it getting to a temperature that would require you to be there to open windows or let them out.
Again, not trying to come down on you - believe me, the reason I'm driving an RV instead of my motorcycle is because my wife can't leave the pets at home!! (Although I have to say they do add so much to the adventure, so it's not JUST my wife's fault! )
AND Be Safe!
Koz 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz 65 View Post
Not even going to comment
Sorry if I offended you - I really was trying to figure out what you were trying to accomplish - and to offer the AGS as a solution. Perhaps all I did was expose my own ignorance as to what a "temperature sensor unit" actually did. I assumed that it simply communicated to you remotely what the temperature inside your RV was. Does it do something different/more?
My point was that knowing the temperature inside of your RV doesn't help your pets unless you're able to do something about that temperature.
Or maybe I misunderstood the whole point of your question - believe me, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened!
At any rate, please understand I was sincerely trying to help . . .
Old 06-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

I think the concern is if the power goes out. We usually keep our camper pretty cool, here in FL, it gets hot out and by keeping the thermostats set pretty low, it will be coldish in the morning and keep up during the heat of the day. We usually do anything away from the camper in the morning to early afternoon before temps spike. So, ideally, if we have the camper at 68ish in he morning, leave, power goes out, our hope is that the temp in the camper doesn't go too high before we can get back. Leaving a 12v fan on could help too, something wired to the battery so that it still runs even if the power is out.

Again, thats assuming the power goes out. You could also try to make friends with a neighbor and ask them to call you if something happens to the power. Unfortunately, anything that connects to wifi is going to go out if the power is out. If you have your own wifi hot spot, you could use that, there are wifi baby monitors that include temp and you could just check in periodically. You may drive yourself crazy with it, but, even on campground wifi, you could just assume if you can't connect to the monitor that the power is out and you need to get back.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote