Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #1

Tent Camping

Went for a walk with my girls last night at Sterling State Park in Monroe.
The weather was about 49-50 degrees. We decided to walk the loop through
the campsites. It was wonderful to smell the campfires burning, the fresh air, ect...
The weather forcast for last night was around 42-45 degrees in Monroe Michigan.
To my horror I actually saw a group of tent campers along with the trailers and
motorhomes.
And no I am not talking pop-up tent camper. I mean a tent, medium size, not very
great shape, (the fly was missing and was covered with small tarp).
Lady was sitting on picnic table wrapped in a blanket sitting by the campfire.
Now I am just coming out of tent camping last year, (a 10 x 15 cabin tent model)
to a TT due for delivery in a couple of weeks. I can not begin to imagine sleeping
in my tent on the ground at these temps. I know their are die hard campers, and
I dont' think this couple was homeless, their vehicle did not indicate that.
Am I crazy? Would any of the rest of you from Michigan even try to camp in regular
gear at these temps? Sunday night might be a different story at 78 for
a high and 54 for a low. These are usually the low's at Memorial Day, and even at those
if it rains you can get pretty chilly.
Needless to say she did cause the thought to cross my mind that maybe the DH and I should
dig out the tent for one more outing before we retire her.

P.S. I might have really taken notice to this couple since I work at a homeless
shelter here. I hope about this couple that I was wrong and It was by choice.

NINA
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #2

Being a former Boy Scout and having gone “camping” a whole lot while in the Army, 42 deg ain’t too dang bad as long as you’ve got a good sleeping bag. I’ve tent/sleeping bag camped down to the sub teens. Not particularly fun but doable. My wife and I would regularly tent camp BC and would go pretty much anytime of the year (Texas not Michigan) and sometimes we would go when the temps were at or below freezing. After kiddos we still tent camped but wouldn’t go below 50 or so. When we moved up to an old PU we would go down to freezing with our kiddos because then we had heat. I’ve now grown soft after working on my 3rd RV. I like my AC in the summer, heat in the winter, running water in a sink, a shower, and a toilet. And also LOVE the fridge as it keeps choice beverages chilly and within reach of the couch and TV. Some people LOVE to camp and can only afford a tent or only want to tent camp. They look at RVs and say that’s not camping. Heck I don’t call going out in an RV camping; I call it getting away. With our 5’er we can go anytime of the year in any temp and no major. Propane and electricity, gotta love ‘em.

I tent camped this past weekend with the Cub Scouts (my nephews) but it only got to the mid 50’s overnight. I did this as a favor for my brother who had to work. I think I’ll be busy next time.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote