Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Tent in a 50' site....OK?

In the things seen in campgrounds thread, someone mention seeing a tent in a 50' site when there was a smaller site available.
So mine question is as I have a short rig, Should I feel bad to be parking in a 50' site that is on the lake shore and all the smaller site are in the north 40. All the site are the same price. Even if the site are more and I am willing to pay it, should I feel bad. Yea as a nice guy I feel bad but ..........
Does being a big rig give it any rights that the short rig does not have in a campground?
I normally take a short site, if it is not the worst site in the campground.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #2

$$$$ Talks

If the site is available, you're paying the going rate and the outfit renting the site (State Park or private) allows you to stay on it, the site is yours.

There may be a big rig upset by this but first come, first serve and reserved sites are just that...reserved for the person that has committed to pay for it.

The only time I can think this unfairness should really come in to play is that if a well bodied person is camping in an ADA designated site.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
Old 02-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #3

The size of the site should have no bearing on what type camping setup is on it. BUT amenities should. We constantly see large motorhomes and trailers trying to fit into a spot with 30 amp, no sewer while a tent takes up a site with 50 amp and full hookups. Why does a tent need 50 amp and sewer? It would be more considerate for them to park in the 30 amp site.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
If I like the site more than the others, and I got there first... it should make NO difference what I park on it. If anyone with a big rig gets upset, they should've got there sooner. My opinion anyway.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
If I like the site more than the others, and I got there first... it should make NO difference what I park on it. If anyone with a big rig gets upset, they should've got there sooner. My opinion anyway.
X2
2011 Puma 295kbh
Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Camping is all about location, location, location!
IF you get there 1st and get a water view good for you.

My only beef would be if you got there 1st and set up a tent but didn't stay in it and came back a day or 2 later and parked a trailer there. Most CGs require you to occupy your site every day you have it reserved but some places don't enforce it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

You paid for the site. As long as you don't violate any campground rules, park anything you like there.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
$$$$ Talks

If the site is available, you're paying the going rate and the outfit renting the site (State Park or private) allows you to stay on it, the site is yours.

There may be a big rig upset by this but first come, first serve and reserved sites are just that...reserved for the person that has committed to pay for it.

The only time I can think this unfairness should really come in to play is that if a well bodied person is camping in an ADA designated site.
X2

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Camping is all about location, location, location!
IF you get there 1st and get a water view good for you.

My only beef would be if you got there 1st and set up a tent but didn't stay in it and came back a day or 2 later and parked a trailer there. Most CGs require you to occupy your site every day you have it reserved but some places don't enforce it.
Occupied is occupied! Even if it's a tent as long as you were willing to pay the rent!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
In the things seen in campgrounds thread, someone mention seeing a tent in a 50' site when there was a smaller site available.
So mine question is as I have a short rig, Should I feel bad to be parking in a 50' site that is on the lake shore and all the smaller site are in the north 40. All the site are the same price. Even if the site are more and I am willing to pay it, should I feel bad. Yea as a nice guy I feel bad but ..........
Does being a big rig give it any rights that the short rig does not have in a campground?
I normally take a short site, if it is not the worst site in the campground.
Don't fret about it. When we had our pop-up, I would book XL sites all the time at Ontario Provincial Parks. The price is the same for all site sizes, why not take the largest one you can. Someone with a larger rig could have booked 5 months in advance like me.

If Ontario Parks had a rule that based your site on your camper size....I'd be fine with that, but, right now they don't.

I booked a pull through site last Thanksgiving with 50 A service (I don't need that). I wanted that site though and booked (and paid for it) 5 months in advance.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Always Learning

This conversation is always good to get the Thousand Trails group on Facebook all riled up. As the owner of a big rig, my take is its first come, first served. There was a reason that 50’/50amp/sewer spot was important to you. Be it location and view, being near friends or family, or you just liked a special tree on it. It’s your choice to take it.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought a big rig. It doesn’t give me any special “dibs” on the “good” sites.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This conversation is always good to get the Thousand Trails group on Facebook all riled up. As the owner of a big rig, my take is its first come, first served. There was a reason that 50’/50amp/sewer spot was important to you. Be it location and view, being near friends or family, or you just liked a special tree on it. It’s your choice to take it.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought a big rig. It doesn’t give me any special “dibs” on the “good” sites.
I don't have experience with TT, but based on the various threads on here, I can see how their first come, first grab, free for all policies, can lead to these headaches. They've already received their money for their sites via the memership, so they could care less about who actually occupies them (to some degree, as I've seen stories on here about some parks being better at that than others).

Most of the private campgrounds we stay at (KOA, Jellystone or Mom and Pop places) have their own built in regulations about who can rent which sites to ensure adequate supply for everybody. They don't want to have to turn away people when the camps only 1/2 full because they allowed all the large sites to be taken.

Provincial/State parks seem to have a different business model. Their primary purpose isn't as a campground, it's on access fees, etc... They also tend to cater to more of the tenting/smaller RV crowds (at least around here) so they don't have much worries about having to turn people away, they'll always have people available to fill those sites.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

Doug, if TT LIKES the First Come rule, why would they get upset at this? FIRST means FIRST. You'd think they'd be a proponent of it. And I admit, I never heard of TT till you mentioned them, and I'm GLAD you like that, but more and more, it's not for me.

I will say that "we" on this site spend a lot of time........rightfully so.......saying that your type of trailer doesn't matter, and it's all about the experience. WELL.......if so, then that guy with a tent and some money gets whatever site he can get, according to the rules. The End.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
Insert witty title here

I would never know a campground doesn't have a site for me because someone with a tent is using an RV site. They would simply tell me they have no vacany and I would go elsewhere.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #15

This is the same that if my wife and I decide to pay a bit more at a hotel that has a bigger room and a nicer view then being told that we can’t stay in that room cause there is a family with kids needing a bigger room.

Doesn’t matter what you own or how many you are, if the campsite doesn’t stipulate or have rules against it.. too bad!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #16

we've had to opposite 'problem'.... our rig is sometimes considered 'too big' to fit in some parks smaller sites, at least per the park itself, but we find we can fit just fine, and it's because we LIKE the site location, not the type of hookups.

I admit that I have to question seeing a tent deep into a 50' to 100' site, where a 'larger' rig would seem more appropriate, but I also have to tell myself that I may also be questioned when my longer rig is 'squeezed' barely into a much shorter site, or even pulled-IN to such a site, because I wanted to best 'view'. The tenters are disgusted, I'm sure.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
Insert witty title here

Bottom line is get there first or go somewhere else. Your camping equipment doesn't matter.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If the Park or campground has no regulations about what "equipment" is necessary to rent the site, then it does not matter what you put on it. You could occupy a 100'/50 amp, WSE site and use nothing but a lawn chair and an umbrella.

To the OP... do not feel bad if you occupy a larger/'better' site and do so by following the regulations of wherever you are staying. Those owning bigger rigs (or smaller for that matter) have no extra/different rights to a site than you. And I agree, those with proper placarded disabilities should have special considerations to ADA compliant sites.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Grammar Pedant

If all things are equal, then, sure, take the smaller site. But, where I camp, things are NEVER equal. Each site is unique. Some have a better layout, some have better tree cover, some have better views, and on and on.

For this reason, I choose the best site -- the one I will enjoy the most. The one with the best layout. If that means I'm parking my 20' pop-up in a 50' long site, so be it.

I wouldn't intentionally take a long site just screw with anyone. I wouldn't be punitive to large RVs and 5ers. I have nothing against those folks at all. I just don't feel compelled to compromise my own weekend trip to accommodate them.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
If all things are equal, then, sure, take the smaller site. But, where I camp, things are NEVER equal. Each site is unique. Some have a better layout, some have better tree cover, some have better views, and on and on.

For this reason, I choose the best site -- the one I will enjoy the most. The one with the best layout. If that means I'm parking my 20' pop-up in a 50' long site, so be it.

I wouldn't intentionally take a long site just screw with anyone. I wouldn't be punitive to large RVs and 5ers. I have nothing against those folks at all. I just don't feel compelled to compromise my own weekend trip to accommodate them.
If anyone gives you grief, may I suggest the one finger salute.

Closed Thread