Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Termites

Found termite dust on floor at bathroom door frame. Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?
rindaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

You sure it's termite dust and not saw dust? Saw dust seems to appear once in awhile because it wasn't clened up well at the factory.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm guessing here but I bet its not termite dust if your unit fairly new.
Its wood construction rush left behind by the fr's great clean up crew
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Termites live in the ground. Unless you can find mud tunnels up the tongue jack or the tires (which if very unlikely), it is not termites.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

The trailer is a 2004 and after sweeping up more than once in the same spot there is more the next day or two. It is small round particles. If I bang on the door frame more comes out. I think that termites can live in wood also.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Termites live in the ground.

not all live in the ground

Types of Termites

When it comes to termites, it's particularly important to know which exact kind of termite you are dealing with. This is because different types of termites require different extermination methods. If you exterminate against the wrong type, chances are it won't work. This is due to the different ways in which the termites invade and where they live and build their colonies. Some live in the wood while others live deep down in the soil around your house, busily building huge colonies of workers. Termites are known for swarming in the spring, summer and autumn. During the swarm they send out large numbers of winged, reproductive males and females that will mate, shed their wings and develop new colonies.
There are three main types of termites in the United States: dampwood, drywood and subterranean.
Dampwood Termites

These are the least dangerous, least destructive and least likely to invade your home. Dampwood termites need moisture to survive, and they thrive on eating damp and rotten wood. They are commonly found in wood piles outside your home, in rotten or wet siding or roof shingles, or under sinks in the wood of wet cabinets due to plumbing leaks. Dampwood termites can be easily prevented by moving all sources of wood and paper away from your home by at least a few feet. Maintaining your gutters, siding and roofing will help prevent any moisture buildup which would attract dampwood termites. Make sure to fix any plumbing leaks, even minor ones, in order to prevent dampwood termites. Getting rid of dampwood termites is simple. All you need to do is remove or fix the source of moisture that attracted the termites. Once this is accomplished, the termites will leave.
Drywood Termites

These are extremely destructive in states like Florida. They live in the wood and the only way to completely get rid of large infestations is through fumigation. Evidence of drywood termites includes small fecal droppings, which look like small sand piles around your house, especially near wood and in windowsills.
Subterranean Termites

These are the most destructive in that they are so hard to get rid of and they work fast in very large colonies. With a king, queen and thousands of workers deep down in the soil around your home, subterranean termites build mud tubes by which they can travel to and from the soil to the wood inside your home. These termites are so hungry that they will even eat fiberboard and paper. The only way to rid your home of this type of termite is through a baiting process, which could take some time - but it works. The termites take the bait back to their colonies and eventually the colony, "the source'" of it all, and then they are all killed off.
Aside from those three, there is one other kind of termite that can be found in the US:
Formosan Termites

Fermosan termites are a kind of subterranean termite and are extremely destructive. They even invade and destroy boats and live trees. These termites live in warmer climates and are most prominent in Alabama, Florida, California, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas and Tennessee. However, they have also been found in smaller populations as far north as the Canadian border.
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

check your vents. most likely coming from there. heck just last winter i found out my AC vent in the bathroom was plugged by the blank left over from the whole saw used to cut the vent hole!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
not all live in the ground

Well, I learn something new every day. Around here, most live in the ground.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

well thanks for everyones input. I will let you know what we find out and how we take care of this issue. Always something to do when you own a travel trailer.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If it is indeed an insect infestation vs. sawdust from construction, it could also be a powder post beetle: Powderpost Beetle Control

Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #11

Or carpenter ants. Either way I would suggest a professional pest control to come and spray your trailer. Heck, you might even consider tenting it and fumigate the whole thing. Could not be that expensive for a small trailer.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #12

Concentrate Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus

here in Ca we deal with termites often
I have had some in my last two homes
and many many in my rental unit
rental unit burnt down in the Ca Cedar fires of 2002
(excellent way to rid termites !!)
but
I have been using a Termite Spray
from Home Depot for years
stuff works great
if used in a travel trailer
should be very easy to apply
if one has to they can drill a small access hole
and let them have it

Mountainman

Bayer Advanced
32 oz. Concentrate Carpenter Ant and Termite Killer Plus

Model 700310 price at Home Depot 19.97
Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #13

I know that centracon has a bait systemt that you put these stakes in the ground to verify you have termites on the property - wonder if it would work in your case to lure them out of the wall to verify what you have - might take more time then you probably want to let them eat away though.

I know there used to be a spray called Diazion (I think) which you cant get any more

I would check the wall and maybe peel back a panel to see what you have after the trailer is sprayed - carpentar ants or Bull ants are a pain.

you could sprinkle Boric acid around the trailer if you think they are coming from below - not sure how to treat from above though
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #14

I like your Idea mountainmanbob. Living in SoCal also this is a good idea. going to Home depot soon.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #15

this stuff is very strong and kills ((all))

if
and that is a big if
they are termites
treating a trailer is a piece of cake
most all places can be accessed easily
with out drilling holes as I have in my home walls
but
if we need to
a very small hole drilled into hard to get areas
and then a little blast through a sprayer
does the job
I mix it a little stronger than recommended

if drilling a hole into a wall
drill to the high side of wall
the poison will drip down inside
and cover more area

good luck
Mountainman

PS
just in case these are some other type of bugs
this stuff is very strong and kills ((all))
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
Site Team

Don't mean to highjack the thread but would RV insurance cover serious termite damage?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #17

If it is termites (or some other wood destroying insect) spraying is treating the symptom. There is a reason they are there. Likely a leak which has elevated the moisture level of some wood. In addition to getting rid of the bugs you have to find out what they're after and fix it, too.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #18

Around here the termite companies come out and give free estimates. Maybe you can get one to look at your camper and verify what type of pest you have and treat it. Surely it wouldn't be too expensive to treat a camper would it?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

would RV insurance cover serious termite damage?

it seems in most cases no
RV's should be about the same as homes
regarding coverage
MM

Termite Bonds

While homeowner's insurance doesn’t cover termite damage, there is a way to protect yourself. You can purchase a termite bond, which is a special type of insurance policy you enter into with a pest control company. A proper termite bond stipulates that the pest company will inspect and treat the property at agreed-upon intervals. If termites appear during the duration of the bond, the pest control company agrees to pay for any repairs caused by the termites. It’s important to know the kinds of termites that are covered by termite bonds, as some can be excluded.

homeowners-insurance-cover-termites-7057.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
it seems in most cases no

RV's should be about the same as homes
regarding coverage
MM

Termite Bonds

While homeowner's insurance doesn’t cover termite damage, there is a way to protect yourself. You can purchase a termite bond, which is a special type of insurance policy you enter into with a pest control company. A proper termite bond stipulates that the pest company will inspect and treat the property at agreed-upon intervals. If termites appear during the duration of the bond, the pest control company agrees to pay for any repairs caused by the termites. It’s important to know the kinds of termites that are covered by termite bonds, as some can be excluded.

homeowners-insurance-cover-termites-7057.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com
Thanks for the information. I didn't think about coverage with a pest control company. Living in CA you never know what to expect.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote