Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #61

Wonder how those folks in the New Orleans area are gonna charge their EV when the power goes out for days or weeks as predicted?
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shadowsabre View Post
Talking about righteousness, Many don't want their tax dollars spent on subsidizing and give funding fossil fuel companies!

Gas and diesel doesn't just come from the pump!

But seriously, there is always a point and counterpoint. Think about what you say...
Which is more popular?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Wonder how those folks in the New Orleans area are gonna charge their EV when the power goes out for days or weeks as predicted?
Diesel or other backup generators, California governor approved the use of them to keep the grid alive during high grid demand. But there is something here called
Public Safety Power Shut off. When the utility deems it necessary because of wind and low humidity. How long? Sometimes a week. Of course home solar panels are are not sending out any power either. It is very well planned and smooth running system. At least an E-bike has pedals.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvallerga View Post
Since the grid is supplied by many sources of generation, some of it is going to be fossil fueled. So when an EV is charging from the grid, I look at it as if the tail pipe for the EV is at the fossil fueled plant! Hence "remote polluting vehicle.
You mean you donít go for lie of zero emission vehicle?
Old 08-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
There is only a finite amount of fossil fuels in the world and as a society, we need to start finding alternatives. I don't know what the best solution is but I applaud industry for trying. Will everything they do be perfect, no. Will there be mistakes, yes. We cannot wait for the planet's fuel tank to run dry before we start at least trying to come up with something else.
Why not set the system up first so we have an abundance of supply and find a way to recharge faster, then the acceptance will come naturally, like it did with the car over the horse. No mandates were needed. I wonder how much real estate would be need alongside a freeway for charging if just half the cars were electric? Another thing how many charging stations are setup for people pulling trailers? Seems like they aren’t trying very hard to make it work.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I'm not here to educate or convince anyone...I just ask people not to knock what they may not fully know about....or care about....to each his own, what works for me...may not work for you.

Also, I believe in a free market economy. NOT the green new deal!

You're making a heck of an assumption.
A lot of us know a bit more about it than you think, and have been there, done that.
As an owner myself, I can give you several reasons why the tech isn't quite there yet, and the infrastructure isn't even close, and I live in Ca.
Pat yourself on the back if you wish, but there's really no reason to get on your high horse.
You'd do well to realize that everyone who doesn't see electric cars as the holy grail aren't Luddites.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I wonder how the Indians fought forest fires before the white man made it better.
Probably made some themselves with the old "slash and burn" farming techniques.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #68

time to unsubscribe
Old 08-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #69

I posted this as an exercise for a 67 year old man, I just wanted to say that an ebike can help an older individual get some exercise. I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes but you can take this reply and stuff it.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:44 PM   #70

They will survive. With or without you opinion.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #71
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Why not set the system up first so we have an abundance of supply and find a way to recharge faster, then the acceptance will come naturally, like it did with the car over the horse. No mandates were needed. I wonder how much real estate would be need alongside a freeway for charging if just half the cars were electric? Another thing how many charging stations are setup for people pulling trailers? Seems like they arenít trying very hard to make it work.
The 2 have to go hand in hand. When they invented the car, they didnt fill the country with gas stations first. The car technology and the infrastructure will mature together.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
power companies are building 100-500 acre solar farms in the mid-west... I know of two now, one in central KY and a new one going in just east of Columbus OH... considering how cloudy it often is in this area of the country I will bet they have to build them 50% larger for equivalent power then more sunny areas...

I suspect my electric bill has already increased to cover this investment...

I'm not resistant to change, I actually like intelligently thought out change, but at times feel like things are being forced.
Save the planet by covering it in solar fields . now it's 300 to 500 ac next it will be 300 to 500 sq miles . for get about the wildlife or open beauty of an area . Like driving through kansas and it's a 100 miles of wind turbines really ruins the natural beauty and kills animals . lets just harness lighting
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
The 2 have to go hand in hand. When they invented the car, they didnt fill the country with gas stations first. The car technology and the infrastructure will mature together.
The difference is that was the first non animal powered machine. This time they can plan it out. They didnít have much for roads either, this time they do. We are asking people to transition to something that could be more prepared but isnít. Why are they making so undesirable to changeover? Since we already have something that works better than the offering. Right now the entire grid cannot handle much more load while we are importing people, adding houses but shutting down power plants and making up losses with Diesel generators. To run an electric grid you need some constant stable power source not weather controlled. Two choices fossil or nuclear both that are always being fought off.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #74

Itís a physics problem

You canít get something from nothingÖ
Electric only vehicles might be fun to drive but would not in any way be practical for towing or carrying heavy loads. A previous poster said he gets about 150 miles from his Tesla before having to recharge for 20 minutes. Based on that, Iím guessing a battery laden tow vehicle pulling a heavy trailer might be able to go 75 miles? before having to stop and recharge. Of course, a larger battery would require more charging time, so Iím guessing maybe 45 minutes? to go another 75 miles? And forget about driving over mountainous terrain, or driving in cold temperatures.
Correct me if Iím wrong, I just canít imagine a scenario where electric only vehicles are a practical solution to pulling heavy trailers or hauling heavy loads long distance.
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Did he say he was saving the planet by pulling the RV with an electric vehicle 120 miles at a time and then taking 10 hrs of fossil fuel electricity to recharge? LOL
As a sailor, I assume youíre familiar with diesel electric transmission engines? Thereís several reasons why they use them, including theyíre more fuel efficient. So assuming that the electricity used to charge the car is 100% non renewable fossil fuel (which it isnít), heís still ďsaving the planetĒ as you like to say. I really donít understand the need to tear someone down for doing what they enjoy?
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
As a sailor, I assume youíre familiar with diesel electric transmission engines? Thereís several reasons why they use them, including theyíre more fuel efficient. So assuming that the electricity used to charge the car is 100% non renewable fossil fuel (which it isnít), heís still ďsaving the planetĒ as you like to say. I really donít understand the need to tear someone down for doing what they enjoy?
The reason they use Diesel electric for large machines like trains and mining trucks is because it is cheaper than building the gigantic drivetrain components that would be needed. Not efficiency.

Tags
wolf pup