Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Tesla pulling an 18 ft Wolf Pup.

Here is our newest camping toy. The portable fireplace. And the neighbors just pulled in pulling a 17-18 ft trailer with Tesla. [emoji15]. To add to the excitement I just started our fire and getting ready to grill some hamburgers when I take another look at the Tesla and there is huge vegan sticker in the back window.

So he can pull the trailer about 120 miles. Before he recharges. On a 50 amp outlet it takes about 10 hours. Really nice guy as I was bombarding him with questions as he was trying set up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_190742218.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	261339
Old 08-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #2

Did he say he was saving the planet by pulling the RV with an electric vehicle 120 miles at a time and then taking 10 hrs of fossil fuel electricity to recharge? LOL
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #3

Not everyone who has an electric vehicle "is trying to save the planet" LOL

I have one...because its fun to drive, great commuter car for work, low maintenance, never have to go to a gas station, I get to save my Dually for camping...etc.

a lot of people are very uneducated about what is going on with BEVs and they spread the same old myths/information every time someone bring up the subject...
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
a lot of people are very uneducated about what is going on with BEVs and they spread the same old myths/information every time someone bring up the subject...I hope you are not one of the people?
PLEASE... give us the basics... I guess I am one of those uneducated ones...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

wounder what the tow capacity of the Tesla is . Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
Retired Army MSG!

It isn't that a lot of people are uneducated about electric vehicles it is the fact that our current so called regime keeps trying to stick the green energy crap down everyone's throats. A Tesla is a very nice car. Just asked a guy in our office complex all kinds of questions yesterday about the one he is driving. It is very intriguing to say the least but I don't see me spending the dollars is cost to purchase one. Retiring from the working life for good in June 2022 so don't need a commuter any longer.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

I'm not here to educate or convince anyone...I just ask people not to knock what they may not fully know about....or care about....to each his own, what works for me...may not work for you.

Also, I believe in a free market economy. NOT the green new deal!
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

What's wrong with saving the planet or even trying to? I camp to see the wonders of the country and I like the idea of those wonders staying around. Electric vehicles are not the ultimate solution but they are a step away from older technologies that we know are damaging.
Serenity-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

Question

Learjet, Can the battery be replaced and what is the cost? Also, what does one do with the used battery and is there any resale value on a BEV?
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Did he say he was saving the planet by pulling the RV with an electric vehicle 120 miles at a time and then taking 10 hrs of fossil fuel electricity to recharge? LOL

I've had some discussions with someone who is ordering a new F150 EV and trying to figure out his towing capacity, distance, recharge time, etc.

I don't want to get out a calculator to plan a trip, but I am sure that is on another thread.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Electric vehicles are not the ultimate solution but they are a step away from older technologies that we know are damaging.
considering the sourcing of rare earth materials and the refinement energy going into batteries and motors and the appalling lack of electric grid infrastructure upgrades to support all of that energy usage... I am NOT convinced we ( the US) are taking a step in the right direction at this time...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #12

Teslas are amazing vehicles. As long as you stay away from Fire Trucks and Pedestrians.

My feeble internal computing power can decide what to do when I am heading towards an object I don't recognize. I evade and or stop.

Tesla's state of the art computer decided since it does not recognize what the object is. It must not exist. Keep going.

Carry On.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Teslas are amazing vehicles. As long as you stay away from Fire Trucks and Pedestrians.

Tesla's state of the art computer decided since it does not recognize what the object is. It must not exist. Keep going.

Carry On.
I am fine with electric or other alternative fueled vehicles. I am not a fan of autonomous driving systems.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #14

EV’s are great

I just traded my 2016 Z51 Corvette on a Model 3 performance Tesla. Faster than the Vette, instant power, whisper quiet, unbelievable control, no gas, no oil changes, no maintenance of all the moving parts a internal combustion engine has, no exhaust, no gas tank, batteries guaranteed 10 yrs, cost me about 1 1/2 cents per mile for electric. As far as the grid not being to handle the electric draw of all the EV’s, its not true. Almost all EV’s charge at home overnight during low peak hrs. (Most retail, commercial, industrial not using much power at night). Mine charges @ about 44 miles for every hour plugged in at home. As far as range, my high performance model 3 gets over 300 miles on a full charge. If I should go further, a stop at a super charger for 20 minutes gives me about 150 more miles. This isn’t my main car and my cross country trips are in the Motorhome or Yukon Denali. I’m not trying to save the planet, but am having a blast driving it!😎
Rick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
I am fine with electric or other alternative fueled vehicles. I am not a fan of autonomous driving systems.
Roger That!

As I mentioned they are amazing vehicles.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #16
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

Can you tell me about your portable campfire and if you like it or not and why? Thanks!
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Here is our newest camping toy. The portable fireplace. And the neighbors just pulled in pulling a 17-18 ft trailer with Tesla. [emoji15]. To add to the excitement I just started our fire and getting ready to grill some hamburgers when I take another look at the Tesla and there is huge vegan sticker in the back window.

So he can pull the trailer about 120 miles. Before he recharges. On a 50 amp outlet it takes about 10 hours. Really nice guy as I was bombarding him with questions as he was trying set up. Attachment 261339
Is that 120 miles on flat ground or mountains? I wonder what the insurance costs?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #18

I'm in the queue for the 2022 F-150 Lightning (New all electric). Base is supposed to be $40k. Looking at adding larger battery and all of the towing accoutrements, have no idea yet what the full price will be nor the Federal and State (NY) incentives. I'm in it for the performance and lower operational costs (don't have insurance numbers yet either). I do have over 10kW of PV Electric generation going on on my roof at home, and can add more if my use increases. Base towing is 7,500 lbs. The EVs are based on "sleds", frame around battery with electric motors and controls, so the tongue weight should be hefty too. Much stiffer and stronger construction for towing and I hope longevity. Hopefully, we'll see. Can't use my 50 year old unibody to tow. It has the horsepower, but the car would pull in half!

I am interested in hearing more about the Tesla and what it was pulling (etc.). Have no inclination to own a sedan, never have, and the only cars I have owned were all coupes. I just find Trucks and SUVs much more comfortable and useful.

If we don't keep trying new things and move forward, then there will never be progress.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
I'm in the queue for the 2022 F-150 Lightning (New all electric). Base is supposed to be $40k. Looking at adding larger battery and all of the towing accoutrements, have no idea yet what the full price will be nor the Federal and State (NY) incentives. I'm in it for the performance and lower operational costs (don't have insurance numbers yet either). I do have over 10kW of PV Electric generation going on on my roof at home, and can add more if my use increases. Base towing is 7,500 lbs. The EVs are based on "sleds", frame around battery with electric motors and controls, so the tongue weight should be hefty too. Much stiffer and stronger construction for towing and I hope longevity. Hopefully, we'll see. Can't use my 50 year old unibody to tow. It has the horsepower, but the car would pull in half!

I am interested in hearing more about the Tesla and what it was pulling (etc.). Have no inclination to own a sedan, never have, and the only cars I have owned were all coupes. I just find Trucks and SUVs much more comfortable and useful.

If we don't keep trying new things and move forward, then there will never be progress.
You must realize the gross rating of your system will be far greater the net output. As for the truck I think it will be ok if you don’t camp too far from home and make you trips over the flat land. I wouldn’t plan a trip to Bryce or Yosemite.

My brother got a 10 kw system a few years ago but now the power company has changed the rates and hours for time of use making his net savings reduced by 50%. Plus the power is sold on a tiered system so the more you use the higher the rate. They tell you to get solar then punish you for it.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post

Yeah. I once lived in a town where we joked that their motto was "Progress Without Change." You are correct.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup