Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #41

I just bought an electric bicycle with a 1500 watt motor. I can get it to above 30 mph and use it to take my old favorite bike ride through the state game lands which I used to do in my 20's and 30s. I consider it the best money I have spent in my so called life. O and I bought it from a retired electronics person for about one tenth I would have paid for a "name brand one." It will be great on camping trips.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #42

Love my diesel pickup truck

To each their own but you are not impressing all of us with your EV. If you like it good for you keep driving it. Not for me and I don't want to be forced to spend my tax dollars for your righteousness. Power at the house does not come from the electric plug in the wall.
sc_cmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmosmom View Post
Can you tell me about your portable campfire and if you like it or not and why? Thanks!
WAIT - you want to talk about CAMPING?
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_cmpr View Post
To each their own but you are not impressing all of us with your EV. If you like it good for you keep driving it. Not for me and I don't want to be forced to spend my tax dollars for your righteousness. Power at the house does not come from the electric plug in the wall.

Talking about righteousness, Many don't want their tax dollars spent on subsidizing and give funding fossil fuel companies!

Gas and diesel doesn't just come from the pump!

But seriously, there is always a point and counterpoint. Think about what you say...
1shadowsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_cmpr View Post
I agree and that electricity won’t be so cheap on the road and when they start taxing it for roads and everything else it will be even higher. The cost of driving has to include all costs like the initial cost of the vehicle, insurance which is higher on an EV, battery replacement and in some states annual licensing is based on vehicle price.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #46

I wish you would have snapped a pic
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #47

"so called regime ... green energy crap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
It isn't that a lot of people are uneducated about electric vehicles it is the fact that our current so called regime keeps trying to stick the green energy crap down everyone's throats. A Tesla is a very nice car. Just asked a guy in our office complex all kinds of questions yesterday about the one he is driving. It is very intriguing to say the least but I don't see me spending the dollars is cost to purchase one. Retiring from the working life for good in June 2022 so don't need a commuter any longer.
Ugh! I cannot believe it is 2021 and fossil fuel vs EVs still becomes a political issue! I think the original post was a wonderful eye-opener to the possibilities. My son drove semi for a guy who is looking to switch his diesel fleet over to EVs. The cost to purchase an EV car is comparable to an internal combustion car, but maintenance is almost nothing until it's time to replace the battery (which now have an 8-year, 100,000 mile warranty, in general). And the battery cost is about 1/8 what it was 10 years ago.
NancyLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:25 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Green energy is crap?

The planet is on fire!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Green energy is crap?

The planet is on fire!
Of course it is the environmentalists have prevented tree cutting which is necessary to maintain a healthy forest and control the fuel buildup. This has increased pollution, wasted natural resources, caused loss of lives and houses.
The NFS study shows that in1940 there was an average of 50 trees per acre and today it is 500.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #50
Insert witty title here

Electric vehicles are a luxury at this time. Yes, they are cheaper to operate in terms of day to day expenses but are significantly more expensive than a comparable gas car. It also takes an hour sitting at a public charger to charge up when the battery is nearly dead compared with 5 minutes at the pump for a traditional car. I can achieve a full charge plugged in at home overnight. My car is 2 years old and has 70,000 miles on it. At today's gas and electric rates, it will take me roughly another 3 years until I reach the break even point. My car is fun to drive, has awesome acceleration and is loaded with all kinds of high tech features but is a luxury item. You cannot purchase an electric vehicle at this time and expect it to save you money. Maybe one day they will but not today.

That being said, there are alot more places today to charge up on the road than there were just a couple years ago and I'm finding new ones all the time. There are lots of shopping centers, malls, restaurants, public parking garages etc that offer cheap or free EV charging. I will often seek these places out if im looking for a place to go shopping or out to eat.

Maintenance on an EV is next to nothing. The only thing I've had done to mine are tire rotations every 5k miles.

Given the increasing number of public charging stations, using an EV beyond your local area has become easier to do. It's not as convenient as gas cars yet but they are catching up quickly.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLH View Post
Ugh! I cannot believe it is 2021 and fossil fuel vs EVs still becomes a political issue! I think the original post was a wonderful eye-opener to the possibilities. My son drove semi for a guy who is looking to switch his diesel fleet over to EVs. The cost to purchase an EV car is comparable to an internal combustion car, but maintenance is almost nothing until it's time to replace the battery (which now have an 8-year, 100,000 mile warranty, in general). And the battery cost is about 1/8 what it was 10 years ago.
So you are saying the battery that is $10,000 today was $80,000? You are severely misled. So far no one has a truck that can drive cross country on battery power without taking several extra hours waiting to charge for hours. Drivers need to be paid while the electric vehicles takes on their load of fossil fuel in the form of electricity. Dream on.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #52
Site Team

No opinion. just a historical fact.
When Henry Ford introduced the Model T in 1903 many said it was not practical as traveling long distances would require the availability of petrol stations everywhere.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I'm not here to educate or convince anyone...I just ask people not to knock what they may not fully know about....or care about....to each his own, what works for me...may not work for you.

Also, I believe in a free market economy. NOT the green new deal!

Hmmm....how do you know what you don't know when you don't know.....
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #54
Insert witty title here

There is only a finite amount of fossil fuels in the world and as a society, we need to start finding alternatives. I don't know what the best solution is but I applaud industry for trying. Will everything they do be perfect, no. Will there be mistakes, yes. We cannot wait for the planet's fuel tank to run dry before we start at least trying to come up with something else.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #55

I am not sure why the reluctance to endorse moving away from our ridiculous and destructive fossil fuel based economy. I look forward to the time when I don’t have to hear or smell internal combustion engines. Unfortunately for me, I am too old to see the end result, but I welcome the change. I agree the infrastructure isn’t fully developed yet, which is why I still have a gas guzzling F150. It will be my last pickup truck. My next car will be electric. I just got rid of most my small gas engines: mower, blower, chain saw, edger, trimmer. Bought the Ryobi 40V package that replaces them all. My small suburban lot did not justify the dirty gas machines. Yes, too much of our electricity is still made with gas and coal, but that is changing rapidly. You can grumble and complain and fight it or you can endorse, join, and encourage it, but either way big oil is dying. Good riddance.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #56

Hybrids are the future for towing in the next ten years.
Immediate high torque in low revs, regen braking downhill better than diesel, boondocking off the giant high voltage truck battery and no range anxiety.
The first PHEV 1/2 and 3/4 ton with 30-40kWh or so battery won’t be able to keep up with demand.
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
No opinion. just a historical fact.
When Henry Ford introduced the Model T in 1903 many said it was not practical as traveling long distances would require the availability of petrol stations everywhere.
Correct, and it is also fact that even back then filling up was faster than charging up today. Not to mention it is fairly simple to put in a bigger tank. But not a bigger battery.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
There is only a finite amount of fossil fuels in the world and as a society, we need to start finding alternatives. I don't know what the best solution is but I applaud industry for trying. Will everything they do be perfect, no. Will there be mistakes, yes. We cannot wait for the planet's fuel tank to run dry before we start at least trying to come up with something else.
Given the finite supply why do we waste it in cruise ships and taking vacations by airplane, and sell fuel guzzling motohomes?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #59

Remote Polluting Vehicles

Since the grid is supplied by many sources of generation, some of it is going to be fossil fueled. So when an EV is charging from the grid, I look at it as if the tail pipe for the EV is at the fossil fueled plant! Hence "remote polluting vehicle.
nvallerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Of course it is the environmentalists have prevented tree cutting which is necessary to maintain a healthy forest and control the fuel buildup. This has increased pollution, wasted natural resources, caused loss of lives and houses.
I wonder how the Indians fought forest fires before the white man made it better.

Tags
wolf pup