Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #161
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Thank you Scrapper!

For anyone interested in the info in Scrapper's post, there is a great documentary available for free on Amazon prime about George Westinghouse. He was an amazing man and very loved by his employees. Edison gets all the recognition of being the greatest inventor, yet, he took credit for all inventions and patents that were actually made by his employees. On the other hand, Westinghouse never took credit for patents and inventions of his employees. He was a very good man and I highly recommend the documentary!
gusmom is offline  
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #162
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: south central Wisconsin
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmom View Post
For anyone interested in the info in Scrapper's post, there is a great documentary available for free on Amazon prime about George Westinghouse. He was an amazing man and very loved by his employees. Edison gets all the recognition of being the greatest inventor, yet, he took credit for all inventions and patents that were actually made by his employees. On the other hand, Westinghouse never took credit for patents and inventions of his employees. He was a very good man and I highly recommend the documentary!
Nikola Tesla was a very interesting man himself.

All modern electric powered vehicles manufactured today use his ac motor(s) in 3-phase configuration. Even diesel-electric and electric locomotives utilize 3-phase motors.

It has been said that his death was suspicious because the FBI took immediate possession of the boxes of his drawings, papers, and notes before his body was removed from the hotel room he was found in. Not much effort was given to the investigation and his death was ruled a suicide though no gun was found in the room. Later examination of the coroners report found that the angle of the wound could not have been self-inflected.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline  
Old 02-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #163
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,167
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Nikola Tesla was a very interesting man himself.

All modern electric powered vehicles manufactured today use his ac motor(s) in 3-phase configuration. Even diesel-electric and electric locomotives utilize 3-phase motors.

It has been said that his death was suspicious because the FBI took immediate possession of the boxes of his drawings, papers, and notes before his body was removed from the hotel room he was found in. Not much effort was given to the investigation and his death was ruled a suicide though no gun was found in the room. Later examination of the coroners report found that the angle of the wound could not have been self-inflicted.
Tesla invented and patented a number of designs for polyphase electric motors and generators. He also did fundamental work in radio transmission.

Unfortunately, in his later life he became obsessed with radio transmission of power. His backers did not see this as succeeding and he was forced to give up his Colorado and Wardenclyffe (New York) labs. He died penniless and in debt.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline  
Old 02-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #164
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 106
Not buying it.

I live in Central Texas. We get 23% of our power from windmills and most of them failed during the very unusual single digit temps. Were they the only problem? No, we also had problems with natural gas generators and plumbing freezing in single digit temps, but leftist news reporters who worship at the false idol of "climate change" are doing all they can to hide the truth about this situation. Add to that the fact that this was a 70 year weather pattern and it puts a much different spin on the problem. We will work to shore up and harden our power systems here in Texas, and there are political rocks being thrown from both sides... but let's be real. Our windmills and solar plants are TREMENDOUS during the hot summer months when people are running air conditioners like crazy. They are a SUPPLEMENT to more capable power generation such as natural gas, coal, and nuclear, and moves by the EPA to rely on them more and more is a bad idea. We certainly don't need leftists from Washington DC coming in here and trying to put us in our place, as I'm sure reporters from USA Today, WaPO, and the NYTs would love.




Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The failure was not based on Green Wind and Solar. That is Fox News propaganda. Failure was based on gas plants and fossil fuels no being able to to get to the generating stations.

USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...rk/6764764002/


Quote from Daniel Cohan, an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at Rice University.

Are frozen wind turbines to blame?

Some have pointed to freezing on wind turbines as a potential cause of the widespread outages, saying the renewable energy source is not reliable, but Cohan called those arguments "a red herring."

Rai said there are times of the year when wind is an extremely important energy source for Texas, powering half of the state's electricity supply.

This week, operators planned for much less wind capacity, though, Cohan said.

"Firm resources" – such as gas, coal and nuclear – failed to supply roughly 30,000 megawatts, which contributed to the bulk of the problem, Cohan said.
Scagsdale is offline  
Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #165
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I live in Central Texas. We get 23% of our power from windmills and most of them failed during the very unusual single digit temps. Were they the only problem? No, we also had problems with natural gas generators and plumbing freezing in single digit temps, but leftist news reporters who worship at the false idol of "climate change" are doing all they can to hide the truth about this situation. Add to that the fact that this was a 70 year weather pattern and it puts a much different spin on the problem. We will work to shore up and harden our power systems here in Texas, and there are political rocks being thrown from both sides... but let's be real. Our windmills and solar plants are TREMENDOUS during the hot summer months when people are running air conditioners like crazy. They are a SUPPLEMENT to more capable power generation such as natural gas, coal, and nuclear, and moves by the EPA to rely on them more and more is a bad idea. We certainly don't need leftists from Washington DC coming in here and trying to put us in our place, as I'm sure reporters from USA Today, WaPO, and the NYTs would love.
Bingo!!
UrbanLogger is offline  
Old 02-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #166
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
THANK YOU Skagsdale! I literally had tears in my eyes reading your post because some of the accusations are truly hurtful! It has felt as if the rest of the nation has turned into bullies, kicking us when we are down, when they do not understand what really happened here. ERCOT has some 'splaining to do, and should shoulder the responsibility for many of the deaths that happened over the week due to their mismanagement of our power grid. Criminal investigations have begun. Texas also has price gouging laws so why was it okay for ERCOT to price gouge us during this crisis?
gusmom is offline  
Old 02-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #167
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
Add to that the fact that this was a 70 year weather pattern and it puts a much different spin on the problem.
In any engineering project designs are tweaked to provide for what is referred to as a "xxx year event". Flood control projects and building codes usually revolve around a "100 year event" with varying lesser terms used for other projects.

The thing in, whenever an event occurs that becomes that "once in a xxx year event", that event now becomes the minimum, or benchmark.

The power companies now SHOULD, if they follow these conventions, use this event as the baseline and all equipment should be upgraded to meet the task.

Something tells me that even putting aside any Federal Intervention, the State Legislature will "encourage" the power companies to do so. So far the death toll from the cold stands at 22 but it's also reported that the actual number is higher and won't be known for months.

I doubt that inaction by all parties involved will be allowed.

We'll see.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 02-27-2021, 06:35 PM   #168
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
Nailed it.
alayton is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
DC power transmission is very inefficient. Direct current is not easily converted to higher or lower voltages. DC power suffers more energy loss than AC power over the same distance. The total amount of voltage has nothing to do with the total amount of loss. This is why Thomas Edison had to build more generators closer together using heavier cables when Edison was building the first power grid. It's also why Edison was at war with Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse.

"Tesla's AC systems eventually caught the attention of American engineer and businessman George Westinghouse, who was looking for a solution to supply the nation with long-distance power."

"The Westinghouse Corporation was chosen to supply the lighting at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, and Tesla conducted demonstrations of his AC system there. Two years later, in 1895, Tesla designed one of the first AC hydroelectric power plants in the United States at Niagara Falls. The next year, it was used to power the city of Buffalo, New York. This feat was widely publicized throughout the world."

https://www.history.com/news/what-wa...f-the-currents

https://www.energy.gov/articles/war-...ac-vs-dc-power

FWIW, The car shredder I operated before I retired was powered by two 600 volt 2500 amp DC motors with the combined output of 4200 horsepower. These motors were repurposed General Electric D-32 diesel locomotive generators. Input voltage was 3 phase 4160 vac converted to 600 vdc. Each of the twenty-four 0000 stranded copper cables (12 cables per motor) had to be no longer than 20 feet in length. The motors could have the rotational direction reversed with no loss of horsepower or speed up to 600 rpm. Reverse direction was limited by the control software to 20 rpm. The reason why DC voltage was used is the torque is the same at 20 rpm as it is at 600 rpm.

Richard

The reason DC works better now is the varying electromagnetic fields that surround ac power line are lost(wasted) as a "leaked" low frequency radio signal to nowhere, whereas smooth dc does not have this problem. Actually the "lost" signal does go somewhere. It is the interference we hear on AM talk radio when stopped at a traffic light near a powerline.

The reason Edison initially lost the dc-ac controversy was because he couldn't boost the dc voltage up so he could use small wires to carry heavy power any appreciable distance. Tesla knew that he could make a transformer to boost ac over long distances with smaller wires even when he still worked with Edison but couldn't get Edison to understand, so he left.

Transformers make use of the wavy magnetic "interference" fields by running or winding one wire near the hot one to pick up "electric interference" on purpose. They "pick up" the same way antenna's do. The big advantage of ac is using two wires looped along side the hot one automatically doubles the voltage and so on. How much voltage do you want? Add more loops.

Suddenly solid state electronics grew to where power companies could power huge oscillators to boost dc up to high voltage so that it, too, could be squeezed (sent) over great distances on small wires, then reconverted back to low voltage and/or ac since we are now stuck with that system.

When my sweetheart and I first got married, I worked in an appliance shop fixing anything including electronics. Solid state electronics were pretty wimpy and TV's and stereo's often had a mix of vacuum tubes and transistors. A common repair was stereo output transistors blowing out on their way to the speakers on "high powered" 40 watt amplifiers.

My last job was on a railroad hauling coal. In about 1995 my railroad, along with Siemens of Germany, tested 4000hp AC locomotives between Mandan, ND and Glendive, MT. Huge, now reliable, solid state devices like transistors took the ac output from the huge diesel/generator and transferred the power directly to six axle-motors no longer using brushes in the motors. For years these brushes had been a major frequent service hassle to transfer hundreds of volts at maybe a 1000 amps to each axle. Big sparks.

The new sturdy locomotive transistors sent ac to each axle with the rotating-field computer controlled to exactly match any axle speed instead of 60 cycles per second to ordinary ac induction motors, ac motors that have to run rpm's at exactly only 60 cycles (50 cycles in Europe). The new motors start full power at zero "waves" and cycle faster and faster until full armature speed is reached. Each axle has so much starting torque that they are carefully traction-controlled to never spin. If they spin they will burn right through the rail in seconds, a costly repair.

Our little electric and hybrid cars all use exactly the same basic technology. They use dc which is why they can use batteries at all. But the dc is electronically changed to ac, at exactly the right frequency for the drive wheels at whatever speed they are going. So they use both ac and dc. Our first Prius hybrid electric motor had so much torque it was limited, to avoid twisting it's little axles off at a stoplight.

Siemens does much work all over the world in long distance electric power transfer, or likely many other devices in your city.

How electricity works:
Think of electricity like water sent in garden hoses. In dc the water flows the same direction always. Down one wire and up the other (back to ground). In ac the same water (electrons) just sloshes back and forth, never going far, like the agitator in a washing machine.

Higher pressure (voltage) moves more water through the same hose or otherwise allows cheaper smaller hoses to be used for the same water. High pressure, like high voltage, is more efficient to use, hose-size-wise. Amperage (flow rate) is how much water comes out in a given time, such as how long does it take to fill a bucket with water or a battery with electrons.

Power (wattage) is the "work combination", high pressure to squeeze fast travel in a small hose and a flow, lots of water, or electrons, available to move.

Wes
__________________
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes, Linda & Quincy (std. Brown Poodle)
2015 Husqvarna FE350S
Wes Tausend is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #170
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
Well said and you are right.
alayton is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #171
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
The failure was not based on Green Wind and Solar. That is Fox News propaganda.

B and B -- Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
__________________
'19 East to West 29KRK
'20 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi
bstar1952 is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #172
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
The failure was not solely based on the fossil fuel power stations either, that is CNN propaganda!
UrbanLogger is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #173
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
True. Solar panels were covered with snow and ice.
Wind turbines blades were froze .
Maybe because they needed something to keep them operating but the fact is they failed us.
alayton is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #174
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
True. Solar panels were covered with snow and ice.
Wind turbines blades were froze .
Maybe because they needed something to keep them operating but the fact is they failed us.
Also valves on nat gas lines froze and the coal piles froze.
ALL forms of power generation failed us.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #175
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
I think they froze at the generator stations because they werenít prepared.
Most homes always had gas.
alayton is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #176
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
I think they froze at the generator stations because they werenít prepared.
Most homes always had gas.
Which wasn't a lot of help because the gas furnace had no electricity to run the blower.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #177
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Novi, MI USA
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
It was not a "green" power problem, it was a Texas infrastructure problem.
Roads failed because of lack of plows/salt
Waterlines froze because they were not insulated
Fossil fuel plants failed because cooling systems were not insulated
Solar failed because no one was paid to clear the surfaces
Wind failed because the blade heaters used in the north were not purchased
*All a repeat of 2011 - A failure to learn

Having an RV with a generator has more than one advantage - living in the north, I make sure mine runs in the cold.
NoviBill is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
It was not a "green" power problem, it was a Texas infrastructure problem.
Roads failed because of lack of plows/salt
Waterlines froze because they were not insulated
Fossil fuel plants failed because cooling systems were not insulated
Solar failed because no one was paid to clear the surfaces
Wind failed because the blade heaters used in the north were not purchased
*All a repeat of 2011 - A failure to learn

Having an RV with a generator has more than one advantage - living in the north, I make sure mine runs in the cold.

What is this 'Fossil Fuel' you speak of? Fossils do not make fuel. Oh, you are talking about rocks (I hope you may not mean dead dinosaurs?). Rocks, make hydro-carbons.



https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/14/s...tudy-says.html
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #179
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,700
The Texas weather event was the result of HAARP.


When snow does not melt, but can be burned, it is from cloud seeding and then came the usage of weather modification technology.


A lot of climate change is 'man' created...... by HAARP.


Don't eat the snow when camping, you might get choked up on plastic and aluminum....
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 10:15 PM   #180
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 2,148
......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 8.12.54 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	248609  
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.