Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Texas Inspections

This is for Texas members only. Sorry to everybody else. Each of the new 5ers that we have bought have had an inspection sticker applied. I have been told through the years that it was a requirement of the dealers and not to worry about getting the units inspected, so I never have. I also have never seen a trailer of any kind with an inspection sticker by individuals. I received my State Tag renewal and now it appears that I am required to have the 5er inspected before I can get Tags. Do any of you have any thoughts about this. Have you inspected your 5er before? I have additional trailers, 10X6.5, 16Ft., 5X8, two boat trailers (all with State Tags). Am I going to also have them inspected? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
wrtdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

I have inspected all my trailers if they had over 10k GVW. I also inspect my race trailers, because they are also over 10k. We went through an inspection station on the highway to Corpus Christa from home, mine was out and they let me get by. They told me it was the same fine as our truck without it.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

Found this Law requires that trailers get safety inspections - Houston Chronicle

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

The only time I've had to have a trailer inspected (TT) was out of state getting a title. If memory served it was a green sheet. I had my last 5er for 9 years w/o inspection. 2 new 5ers in the last year and no inspection on either of them.

I know we get our commercial stuff inspected yearly as required.

If it is required, all I need is to give the gov more money. Pay some idiot to look and say wether or not the tail lights work.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Director, FROG

I've been researching this since hearing about it via RVBusiness.com last week. This morning I spoke with a representative of the Texas DMV, and this afternoon I received some documentation from him via e-mail. This is what I'll be sending out in our newsletter later this week.

============

SAFETY INSPECTIONS

REQUIRED ON
TEXAS TRAILERS

(NOTE: The following article is reprinted with
permission from RVBusiness.com.
)

Owners of some of almost 600,000 travel trailers, boat trailers and utility trailers registered with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles will get a surprise when they next receive notice that it's time to renew that annual trailer registration. According to a report by the Houston Chronicle, some will learn they have been violating a law of which many were not aware.

Included in renewal notices sent to owners of trailers with registration expiring this month and later will be notification that the trailer is required to have passed a safety inspection at a state-certified vehicle inspection station within 90 days prior to the new registration sticker's being issued. No proof of safety inspection, no renewal of registration.

This will be the first time many owners learn their trailer falls under Texas' annual safety inspection requirements, the same as most vehicles used on Texas public roads.

"Some trailer owners haven't been aware of the safety inspection requirement," said Candy Southerland, management analyst with Texas DMV . "I've even talked with trailer dealers who were surprised when they learned certain trailers fall under the inspection requirements."

Texas law has for decades required annual safety inspection of trailers with a gross weight (weight of the trailer plus its carrying capacity or actual load) of more than 4,500 pounds. That includes travel trailers, most dual-axle boat trailers, and many larger utility trailers such as those hunters use to haul tractors, ATVs, blinds and other equipment to hunting leases.

But because Texas' vehicle safety inspection process was separate from the vehicle registration process, vehicle owners could renew either without proof of complying with the other. And while Texans have been almost universally aware of the requirement of getting an annual safety inspection of their car, truck or motorcycle, many were unaware of the requirement for their trailers.

For the full story go to the Houston Chronicle.

============
The following information was not included in the Houston Chronicle story, but was obtained from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. There are exemptions to the inspection rules, including for "seasonal Texans and RVers. According to the TxDMV website:

If your vehicle is out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you will be able to self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register. The self-certification process will be limited to:
  • Active duty military
  • Full-time students
  • Seasonal Texans, RV'ers
  • Apportioned vehicles
  • Elected Congressional officials

You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal. To find the contact information for your county of residence, please visit the TxDMV website at Texas DMV: County Assessors.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination. It is very important that you keep the VIR issued after completing your inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will only be removed upon payment of the state's portion of the inspection fee and verification of a current, passing inspection.

For official information from the Texas DMV, visit their informational website, Texas DMV: Two Steps One Sticker.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtdotcom View Post
This is for Texas members only. Sorry to everybody else. Each of the new 5ers that we have bought have had an inspection sticker applied. I have been told through the years that it was a requirement of the dealers and not to worry about getting the units inspected, so I never have. I also have never seen a trailer of any kind with an inspection sticker by individuals. I received my State Tag renewal and now it appears that I am required to have the 5er inspected before I can get Tags. Do any of you have any thoughts about this. Have you inspected your 5er before? I have additional trailers, 10X6.5, 16Ft., 5X8, two boat trailers (all with State Tags). Am I going to also have them inspected? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
My thought on this is that it's just another state sponsored money grab. We brought our new SB from a dealer in Cleburne and it didn't have an inspection sticker. I didn't ask about it because I didn't know one was required. I learned later,either on this forum or another ,that an inspection sticker was required.

I called my salesman and he didn't know one was required. He said to bring it in and they would do one free of charge. The technican took all of 5 minutes to do the inspection, including slapping the sticker on.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Ours came with one when purchased in Dec 2014, and we were sure surprised, but until now had no idea what we needed to do! Thanks for this info.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

I appreciate all the reply's and help. It is not what I wanted to hear but I'm not surprised. I know there is a good reason to want safer trailers on the highways, but in reality, it's all about the money. Our money. I am lucky that our inspection station is only 9 miles from home, but I better call to see if they can perform the inspection.
wrtdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtdotcom View Post
I appreciate all the reply's and help. It is not what I wanted to hear but I'm not surprised. I know there is a good reason to want safer trailers on the highways, but in reality, it's all about the money. Our money. I am lucky that our inspection station is only 9 miles from home, but I better call to see if they can perform the inspection.
There has to be a list of items to be inspected (there is a list of inspection items for autos at every inspection site; never seen one for trailers though) for any required inspections. Wonder what those items are for Texas registered trailers. Not really.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes
05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
15. Window Tint.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #11

What a crock o crock. Four trailers and I'm going to pay for an annual inspection to check my lights and brakes....

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #12

Well, I guess this is discovery learning. I just bought my RV in November 2014 and it did not have a state inspection. My dealer is 50 miles away so it is not economical to get it done there.

I have a dual axle utility trailer that will need an inspection as well.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #13

The requirements haven't changed, nor has the laws. Only thing to change is in the process of documentation and assurances that the law will be followed. And if not adhered to make it easier for state law enforcement to generate state revenue.

So to those who have been skating the issue of non inspection but have complained about Texas road conditions here's your opportunity to step up to the plate and make your tax deductible legally required donation.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
So to those who have been skating the issue of non inspection but have complained about Texas road conditions here's your opportunity to step up to the plate and make your tax deductible legally required donation.
Please explain to me why I need to pay someone to check my lights. I am religous on trailer maintanance. My trailers aren't having near the infastructure impact of say mexican semis. Look at some of those rigs.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Site Team

Like Salt wrote above "The only time I've had to have a trailer inspected (TT) was out of state getting a title." The young lady at the auto service shop fiddled with her computer about 2 minutes, went outside, reached into the trailer and slapped an inspection sticker on the window above the dining booth (at an odd angle - I assume to agitate OCDers). I asked "Aren't you gonna inspect anything, like brakes or lights?" Her answer: "I don't have to do anything but check your VIN against a data base of VINs reported stolen and you passed. Oh, and I have to give you this little form XYZ [I can't remember] for the licensing department at the court house."

The other 3 trailers I've owned never had a fresh sticker although one had an old one.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Quote:
Please explain to me why I need to pay someone to check my lights. I am religous on trailer maintanance. My trailers aren't having near the infastructure impact of say mexican semis. Look at some of those rigs.
Reason #1 is that it's the law, and as we know no one is above the law (politicians apparently excluded).

Reason #2 I would venture a guess that over 50% of utility trailers on the road in Texas that is required to be inspected are currently up to passing a inspection.
It chaps my cheeks to be behind a trailer where you can't see the lights on the two vehicle and the trailer lights either don't work or are not even present.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #17

Not to change the subject, but I would like to see a law making it illegal to leave a hitch and ball extension sticking out of a hitch receiver on a vehicle. Too many truck owners back into parking spaces where the rear over hang of the truck bed blocks the sidewalks. If the hitch and ball are left in place this results in blocking almost the entire side walk. Not to mention they hurt to walk in to.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
RKR

I also just found out about the inspections when I went to tag my trailer.
I live in the San Antonio area and checked around a little. The only place I found so far that does inspections is Camping World. They said just bring it in, no appointment necessary. I can already see myself spending the whole day there getting this done.
Has anyone in the SA area had this yet and if so where did you take yours ?

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #19

This is my second 5r in 8 years and I have always had them inspected. A friend and neighbor of mine is a state trooper, when I got the first 5r he come over to see what I bought. One of the first things he said was better get a inspection sticker on it. I have my trailers inspected at the same place that does cars. trucks, motorcycles or anything else that requires stickers. From what I understand if they are an official state inspection station they are required to inspect any vehicle or trailer that requires state inspection. They check all the lights, tires and vin #. They also had me pull the safety cable and try to move the trailer to see if the wheels would lock. Oh and one more thing they want to see your insurance for the truck. Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. My current inspection is due this month and registration is due in November with the inspection due within 90 days of registration. Do I chance going 5 months with expired sticker or do I pay for inspection twice this year, hmmm, decisions decisions. Gotta love this great state of Texas.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #20

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a service...paying someone to see if my lights work and giving me a sticker that says they work...is a crock...not a service.