Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Attachment 261965
Valterra T58 Twist-on waste valve

Walmart has them for around $25, I am sure Amazon has something similar

I think “gate” is not the right word, but at the moment I can’t think of the name of this kind of valve.

That actually is a gate valve. Other names for the same are sluice and blade valve.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not sure it is a thing.

I've read where folks are concerned about someone pulling the waste valves, someone pulling the hitch handle (5th wheel) someone pulling the tongue latch, someone pulling the breakaway pin, someone unplugging the 7 pin connector, someone putting down the electric stabilizers, someone stealing the TPMS sensors, someone stealing the spare tire, someone putting sand/dangerous chemicals in a gravity fresh water fill, someone stealing their license plate, etc. while traveling.

Camping is supposed to be fun.

There are an awful lot of folks worrying about things that likely will not happen.

I would be willing to bet most of those occasions are actually the individual forgot to do something that they swear they did or they did something wrong with out realizing it. And they just can’t bring themselves to admit that they made a mistake.
I have screwed up enough over the years that nothing surprises me anymore

There is a saying: Any sufficiently advanced form of incompetence is indistinguishable from malfeasance.
It applies even if the incompetence is your own!
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #23

This was one of the first additions to waste management toolbox. (I really don't keep it in the toolbox ) It's installed 100% of the time. I can deal with a cap full of poo.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210830-135542_Chrome.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	261967
BigGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have that but there is insufficient clearance between the sewer pipe end and the rear fender. The dump pipe terminates under the RV near the end cap. Hidden by the fiberglass fender.

I have to get on my knees to remove the cap. So I was immediately down stream of the poop storm.

Could you install a 45 degree fitting and then install the valve?

With way, that cap location sounds very inconvenient, I would reroute it if I could.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have that but there is insufficient clearance between the sewer pipe end and the rear fender. The dump pipe terminates under the RV near the end cap. Hidden by the fiberglass fender.

I have to get on my knees to remove the cap. So I was immediately down stream of the poop storm.
Is there room if you install it a 1/4 turn off upright? With a little pressure, mine will actually rotate to any position that works.
BigGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #26

Quote:
I added a short gate valve to the end of my pipes. So now I have a redundant valve in case the individual tank valves fail. And any fluids that make it past the added valve are minimized since there is not much volume between the valve and the cap.
It also allows me to balance the levels between my galley tank and the grey water tank. I close the added valve and open the grey water valves and let the levels equalize.
Same here as far as the additional valve.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #27
jkoenig24

That's why I ALWAYS start by opening the GREY tank FIRST (for JUST 5 or 10 seconds). That allows me to VERIFY that ALL connections are tight, the hose is good and I have NO leaks / surprises should something be amiss. After that short "Safety Check", I can then proceed emptying the black tank followed by a full emptying of the grey tank.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks, it was going to bug me for hours trying to remember the correct name!

Umm, isnt the name right there on the valve in your picture?
Twist on Waste Valve. Just wondering if I am missing something.

"Brain Farts sometimes go unnoticed until further Inspection " If they only had a smell.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Attachment 261965
These are great ... if it fits. The FR genius who plumbed the wet bay on my 3011ds must've measured so he could position the sewer outlet just right so you can't open the handle on that valve.

A prior 5er developed a leaky black valve . The Valterra sewer cap with cleanout, https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...e-Valve-Capped, is a good idea. Opening the cleanout plug only lets you check whether the sewer line is clear before removing the cap.
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #30

You have the Valterra valve. See if you can put it on so the pull handle runs horizonal instead of vertical. that may give you the clearance to be able to use it. I would also try it with the handle aiming towards the ground if that doesn't work. They are a godsend our black tank dribbles and has since day one. Nasty business.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #31

A short clear plastic extension on the end of your sewage discharge point will eliminate the guesswork on whether that valve is closed or not.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
You have the Valterra valve. See if you can put it on so the pull handle runs horizonal instead of vertical.
I've tried it every way possible, no go. It should fit horizontally with the handle getting pulled to its right, but there is a vertical divider inside the bay that is in the way. I suppose I can cut that out.

I'm currently using a clear 45 degree elbow on the outlet with the Valterra cap on that. They also awkwardly placed the hole where my flex sewer line comes into the bay. You'd think the people who do this work at the factory never actually use an RV.
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #33

We went on a factory tour a few years ago as part of the International Rally. They do a question and answer session as you're going there and I asked "how many of your designers actually RV"? The answer from the factory rep was "well one designer actually owns an rv but its a different brand". So there's your answer. I'm sure the factory only follow a set of schematics.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not sure it is a thing.

I've read where folks are concerned about someone pulling the waste valves, someone pulling the hitch handle (5th wheel) someone pulling the tongue latch, someone pulling the breakaway pin, someone unplugging the 7 pin connector, someone putting down the electric stabilizers, someone stealing the TPMS sensors, someone stealing the spare tire, someone putting sand/dangerous chemicals in a gravity fresh water fill, someone stealing their license plate, etc. while traveling.

Camping is supposed to be fun.
There are an awful lot of folks worrying about things that likely will not happen.
It's me. I do all that stuff just to keep the rumors alive.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #35

That used to be common in Philly. People started keeping license plate showing out back window.

Now PA no longer has those stickers.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #36

No surprise for me please. I like the additional valve but am I the only person that uses a clear cap with a hose outlet? My Valterra even has a big handle to help in the removal without grabbing a wrench. (Valterra F02-3106CL EZ Coupler Valve Cap with Handle - 3.9", Clear cap.). If I have a leaky valve, i can handle what is between the valve and the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22571633-2A76-45F2-B3FA-FA6D3410EBDD.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	261975  
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #37

I like that clear cap. No question then. If you have a leak, the hose fitting lets you open that controllable flow into a bucket. It can dumped back into the toilet once the hose is connected to the sewer.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #38

vales

MY sunseeker, 3010 ds has a outlet that you want to make sure the valve is closed 'cause when you loosen the two clamps, it better be dry or you are not.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Attachment 261965

Walmart has them for around $25, I am sure Amazon has something similar

I think “gate” is not the right word, but at the moment I can’t think of the name of this kind of valve.
gate valve works. I paid over $65 here for mine.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #40

years ago we were at a NASCAR race in NH and got beck to Maine to Cabela's to dump at their station. there was a motor home in front of us getting ready to dump. (a $600,00+ motor home from NY)

the driver got out wearing shorts and a Hawaiian print t-shirt, smoking a big Cuban cigar.
got his sewer hose out and connected it on the MH.
he was about a foot short to the dump hole.
so instead of backing his MH up 3 feet he ... went back to the dump station on the MH and pulled the valve handle. he then ran back to the open end of the hose and tried to stretch the hose. he started to get splashes of crap and tried to stretch the hose a bit further. he eventually pulled it off the MH

as he was getting splashed at the open but short reach end he hollered at the MH to his wife who came out and asked what was going on. the stuff still pumping on the ground.
instead of closing the drain valve handle she picked up the hose to attempt to catch the stuff.

when all was said and done the tank was empty, the hose laid on the ground and they both got into their lovely MH and drove off the dump station area and continued to pull out of the parking lot covered.

I always wondered how long after that that they sold the MH.