Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
years ago we were at a NASCAR race in NH and got beck to Maine to Cabela's to dump at their station. there was a motor home in front of us getting ready to dump. (a $600,00+ motor home from NY)

the driver got out wearing shorts and a Hawaiian print t-shirt, smoking a big Cuban cigar.
got his sewer hose out and connected it on the MH.
he was about a foot short to the dump hole.
so instead of backing his MH up 3 feet he ... went back to the dump station on the MH and pulled the valve handle. he then ran back to the open end of the hose and tried to stretch the hose. he started to get splashes of crap and tried to stretch the hose a bit further. he eventually pulled it off the MH

as he was getting splashed at the open but short reach end he hollered at the MH to his wife who came out and asked what was going on. the stuff still pumping on the ground.
instead of closing the drain valve handle she picked up the hose to attempt to catch the stuff.

when all was said and done the tank was empty, the hose laid on the ground and they both got into their lovely MH and drove off the dump station area and continued to pull out of the parking lot covered.

I always wondered how long after that that they sold the MH.
I would have paid to watch that. At least you got to see the culprit defiling the dump station. Good place for a camera, would be nice to capture that not only for youtube, but to send a bill for a cleanup crew to cleanup.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I would have paid to watch that. At least you got to see the culprit defiling the dump station. Good place for a camera, would be nice to capture that not only for youtube, but to send a bill for a cleanup crew to cleanup.
There were about 10 trailers behind us waiting to dump. staff had to close the station and do a clean up. We actually stayed in their lot overnight and unhooked to go to some places and shop at their store. dumped the next morning (directly across from my plumbing lol)

there were a lot of people watching these 2 in the MH that were laughing so hard it hurt.

sometimes the lessons we learn are not always from our own misfortunes.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #43

Quote:
there were a lot of people watching these 2 in the MH that were laughing so hard it hurt.
Reminds me of that scene in Robin Williams' movie 'RV'.

"If something bad is going to happen, there will likely be a lot of people watching."
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #44

I took an Open Range back to a dealer I bought it from in Lancaster PA so they could fix stuck valve (known problem with that era Open Range with stuck cables).
I told them on phone, and even left signs on door we well as inside the enclosed dump handle cabinet saying the tanks has some waist in them so please hook up a hose to test the the valves (they have sewer ports right in the garage where they were working on it).

I got camper back, of course they said "no problem found, black valve moves freely" so I put camper in warehouse for winter. during the winter I opened the cap for something and dumped about 3 gallons of raw black tank onto the floor.

I really hated that dealership so bad.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I took an Open Range back to a dealer I bought it from in Lancaster PA so they could fix stuck valve (known problem with that era Open Range with stuck cables).
I told them on phone, and even left signs on door we well as inside the enclosed dump handle cabinet saying the tanks has some waist in them so please hook up a hose to test the the valves (they have sewer ports right in the garage where they were working on it).

I got camper back, of course they said "no problem found, black valve moves freely" so I put camper in warehouse for winter. during the winter I opened the cap for something and dumped about 3 gallons of raw black tank onto the floor.

I really hated that dealership so bad.

Too bad you didn’t check it at the dealership, it would have served them right
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Too bad you didn’t check it at the dealership, it would have served them right
Agreed.

If I took anything to a repair facility for something that that I knew didn't work, then went to pick it up and they said "no problem found", I would have said... "OK, let's check it right here and now before I leave."

When the raw sewage spewed on their floor, my next statement would have been... "So... that's no problem??"

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:27 PM   #47
waybeck2018

Quote:
years ago we were at a NASCAR race in NH and got beck to Maine to Cabela's to dump at their station. there was a motor home in front of us getting ready to dump. (a $600,00+ motor home from NY)

the driver got out wearing shorts and a Hawaiian print t-shirt, smoking a big Cuban cigar.
got his sewer hose out and connected it on the MH.
he was about a foot short to the dump hole.
so instead of backing his MH up 3 feet he ... went back to the dump station on the MH and pulled the valve handle. he then ran back to the open end of the hose and tried to stretch the hose. he started to get splashes of crap and tried to stretch the hose a bit further. he eventually pulled it off the MH

as he was getting splashed at the open but short reach end he hollered at the MH to his wife who came out and asked what was going on. the stuff still pumping on the ground.
instead of closing the drain valve handle she picked up the hose to attempt to catch the stuff.

when all was said and done the tank was empty, the hose laid on the ground and they both got into their lovely MH and drove off the dump station area and continued to pull out of the parking lot covered.

I always wondered how long after that that they sold the MH.
Maybe, just maybe, if one of the others waiting at the dump station could have ran up and closed the valve, then offered to lead the hose back while the MH was backed up a major mess could ave been avoided, and a grateful friend made . Ya reckon? Not real sure all the laughing and ye-hawing helped anyone.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

I got camper back, of course they said "no problem found, black valve moves freely"
Oh, the old "no problem found". That's code for "we kept it for 2 weeks, but we didn't look at it."
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #49

I wish it was 2 weeks, I dropped it off last October (scheduled) and they keep it most of the winter. every time I called to see when I could pick it up they would say "when are you planning to use it next". Than I picked it up on a weekend when they were closed
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Could you install a 45 degree fitting and then install the valve?

With way, that cap location sounds very inconvenient, I would reroute it if I could.
No, any lower and it will be scraping on the ground during transitions such as going into gas stations.

One owner removed some of the rear fender and last I read that solved his problem. I am reluctant to do the same. His skills may be superior to mine.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy87 View Post
Is there room if you install it a 1/4 turn off upright? With a little pressure, mine will actually rotate to any position that works.
If you are referring to the Valtera valve, I tried it every which way. I was determined to install it. I had it on my previous Sunseeker and liked that insurance.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
That's why I ALWAYS start by opening the GREY tank FIRST (for JUST 5 or 10 seconds). That allows me to VERIFY that ALL connections are tight, the hose is good and I have NO leaks / surprises should something be amiss. After that short "Safety Check", I can then proceed emptying the black tank followed by a full emptying of the grey tank.
Seems like a good idea.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
A short clear plastic extension on the end of your sewage discharge point will eliminate the guesswork on whether that valve is closed or not.
Another good suggestion but not enough clearance for this application.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
No surprise for me please. I like the additional valve but am I the only person that uses a clear cap with a hose outlet? My Valterra even has a big handle to help in the removal without grabbing a wrench. (Valterra F02-3106CL EZ Coupler Valve Cap with Handle - 3.9", Clear cap.). If I have a leaky valve, i can handle what is between the valve and the cap.
I bought this. Now to see if it fits.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #55

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST.

My wife confirmed that I dumped the tanks less than a week before I took the RV to the dealer. Among other things they replaced the water pump. No one pooped in there after that and I don’t think we have a dozen poops in there in over 5 years.

I noticed the tanks were loaded after the service so I assumed that was from running fresh water.

A couple of nights ago I used the toilet for #1. When I flushed it STUNK and it was obvious that someone had diarrhea. The pipes were splattered.

I am currently between homes. Staying at my daughters house where I can’t play with the pipes. We received special permission from her HOA to park the RV here for a couple of weeks.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #56

This clear cap has saved me more than once. The handle makes it easier to gently turn if fluid is behind the cap. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077Y3JQ...EYGDB9MW6PWCTT
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedman View Post
These are great ... if it fits. The FR genius who plumbed the wet bay on my 3011ds must've measured so he could position the sewer outlet just right so you can't open the handle on that valve.

A prior 5er developed a leaky black valve . The Valterra sewer cap with cleanout, https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...e-Valve-Capped, is a good idea. Opening the cleanout plug only lets you check whether the sewer line is clear before removing the cap.

Same issue with our Greywolf 23MK. The way they plumbed the drain, it is only 8" above the road on the level. It just clears coming out of our street onto the main road being that it's 4' in front of the front axle. I swear the engineers are brain dead. Or certainly the clowns that put them together. My dealer said "just be careful"!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #58

Bath

Dang 5picker, where do you camp?
Larry Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
The valves looked closed and I pushed on them. Maybe not hard enough or something was blocking it.

I was trying to get the hose on while the dirty water was passing by a “closed” valve. I pushed hard on the valve. Finally gave up and slowly opened the valve.
I definitely want to avoid that happening. Would something like this, where it's clear, have helped? Seems like if you can see something isn't right, you can plan better how to manage it. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...976295&sr=8-20
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #60

The clear extensions would definitely be helpful but the short ones I have might not have enough clearance from the road.

My concern is that if they hit the road or anything else the impact could cause damage to sewer pipes. I am not willing to take that chance.