RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

That Time of the year again!

Members start talking about Winterizing because the "Temperature is going to be Zero=O"! Please use "F or C" also as this makes a Big difference until,"-40" then the Temps are the Same! Youroo!!
Old 11-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

I plan to do ours tomorrow. We didn't get to use it near as much this year as we had planned, so I am a little disappointed. We may still take a Christmas trip to the beach, though. We are supposed to be in the low 20s F next week.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
D W

For the past two months this subject has been beat to death in other threads 5X over. The same argument always ensues:

Pink Stuff

vs.

Compressed Air Blow-Out

vs.

Do Both

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Members start talking about Winterizing because the "Temperature is going to be Zero=O"! Please use "F or C" also as this makes a Big difference until,"-40" then the Temps are the Same! Youroo!!
or

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
I hate to nitpick, but the temps are only the same *at* -40 (they call that point "convergence". At -41 and beyond they are different again:

-41.0F = -40.556C
-41.0C = -41.8F

Though, to be fair, that is all pretty safely described as "really cold".

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
For the past two months this subject has been beat to death in other threads 5X over. The same argument always ensues:

Pink Stuff

vs.

Compressed Air Blow-Out

vs.

Do Both

Actually---------My plan is to do neither. NO Winterizing this year for me.

I plan on keeping heat on for the freezing days but also plan on being in non freezing areas in our state along the coast when the real cold sets in.

Luckily our "Cold" is not the same as a Midwest or Canadian "Cold".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Decided today was the day to perform winterizing here in North Texas.
Been a horrible year already for RV'ing and don't need any headaches come next spring.
Here in North Texas one can never be sure what the temperature is going
to be so I just do it just in case.

Not sure if it's needed or not but I bring my Plastic/Glass liquid filled adjustable Brass water pressure regulator home for storage during the winter time.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

I apologize for my fellow Americans who can't wrap their head around something as simple as the metric system. It really is quite embarrassing. I am guilty of not using C or F. But I will say it is REALLY cold to clarify things.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good call Gary, I have read many posts here by those who have damage their regulator by leaving in freezing conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Decided today was the day to perform winterizing here in North Texas.
Been a horrible year already for RV'ing and don't need any headaches come next spring.
Here in North Texas one can never be sure what the temperature is going
to be so I just do it just in case.

Not sure if it's needed or not but I bring my Plastic/Glass liquid filled adjustable Brass water pressure regulator home for storage during the winter time.

Gary
Old 11-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #10

After many years of winterizing in Mass. my DW and I have finally moved into our house in Florida after my retirement. So now I can enjoy listening to those that still have to do it. In fact I'm hoping to still do some camping throughout this winter down here.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post

Gary
Don't know what the liquid filling your gauge is but mine is filled with oil.

When I remove regulator from campground faucet I shake it out well so no water is in the brass part and put it in the TT's storage. Even if I were to miss a drop, a few days in the storage bin and it dries out. Never a drop in it when I pull it out again to use and I don't worry about the oil in the gauge freezing. Not at any temps in my state. Canada or North of the Arctic Circle maybe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
After many years of winterizing in Mass. my DW and I have finally moved into our house in Florida after my retirement. So now I can enjoy listening to those that still have to do it. In fact I'm hoping to still do some camping throughout this winter down here.
Winterizing is a 15-minute job for us, so we do it after every trip, which is usually monthly, in winter. Probably winter camping here in NC is a little more fun than where you were in Mass. So have fun down there.

We're just finishing an 11-day T-giving trip in the foothills of NC and have a week slated for New Years with friends.

Never gets too cold for our camper here, but occasionally gets too cold for our old bodies to be outside setting up camp.

We have woken up to snow a few times over the years, but it always eventually melts.

Hope to see lots of you out here this winter.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #13

This is our 2nd winter with a camper. We had it winterized last year and were going to do the blow-out this year with the idea we'd be doing some travel to FL and it would be nice to not have to un-winterize/re-winterize on each trip.

I added a temp monitor to the J trap in the kitchen and one on the door so I could run inside/outside temp comparisons to see how the inner temp tracked outer figuring we'd have a day here and there with temps dipping below freezing and then popping back up (live in NE Georgia). I did the blow-out twice and even on the 2nd attempt I could hear water gurgling in the pipes with nothing coming out the faucet/outlet.

It turns out we're in for several days with max temps only slightly above freezing and up to 12 hours with temps in the mid 20's. We chickened out and scheduled winterizing 2 days ago; I'm willing to experiment but not willing to damage the trailer in the name of science!

Our trailer has the 'winterizing' package. I contacted FR to see what that exactly means as it's not in our literature packet. I was hoping to get something that told us we could expect some specific type of heat retention performance so I'd have some idea how resistant the TT would be to cold. No response at all. I know we have PEX tubing and the undercarriage is covered but no clue what R value we have on roof, sides, or bottom.

Oh well, I'll get some good temp data this week and have a better sense of how warm the trailer stays.
dogugotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogugotw View Post

Our trailer has the 'winterizing' package. I contacted FR to see what that exactly means as it's not in our literature packet. I was hoping to get something that told us we could expect some specific type of heat retention performance so I'd have some idea how resistant the TT would be to cold. No response at all. I know we have PEX tubing and the undercarriage is covered but no clue what R value we have on roof, sides, or bottom.
Maybe if you put your RV information in your profile, those that own the same brand/model could help you figure it out.
Have you posted your questions about this, in your brand's sub-forum?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #15

Well, I'm not going to winterize at all this year. This is the 1st time in 41 years we haven't used whatever trailer we had, to go camping in. We did have reservations for different parts of Canada but cancelled them due to COVID. Damn COVID. Stay safe all. Better to be 6 feet apart than 6 feet under.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #16

good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Maybe if you put your RV information in your profile, those that own the same brand/model could help you figure it out.
Have you posted your questions about this, in your brand's sub-forum?

2020 Puma 28RKSS.

I did not think to check the sub-forum or my profile, thanks for the reminder
dogugotw is offline   Reply With Quote