Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

The Android Tablet???

I just bought a 2015 Vibe BHS308 in June. It came with the Android Tablet that has an app on it to allow you to lower the power stabilizers, extend/retract the slides, extent/retract the awning, and even turn on the awning lights. This is all cool.....however, the app that does all this, goes away every time I unplug the docking cable. Its just no longer there. Comes back as soon as I plug the cable back in. If I have to stand inside the camper to use it (its mounted directly above the regular controls for most of these items), what good is it.

When we did our walk thru at the dealer, they told me that it stopped working because their own wifi signal was too strong and over powered the hub in the camper. While I'm not an RF engineer, I am a network engineer and after getting home and thinking about, this does not make a lot of sense to me. If its merely a wifi signal from the hub and the app is hosted on the hub rather than the tablet, it should still be able to connect. Anyone that runs a wifi network in their home will know that most of their neighbors have wifi too and everything generally works fine.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, how do I fix it?
bfindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Go into your wifi settings and forget all networks except the one that connects to your camper. That should keep it from connecting elsewhere.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Perhaps the dealer set up a network on it....
Old 08-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Team

They may have never connected the tablet to the MyRV wireless network, or may have removed it from the tablet at some point. There's a section in the manual on how to do that. You'll need to get the hub's SSID and Password off the hub itself.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll look at that while I'm in there too. That sounds very likely. I do know that when I picked up the camper they were in the middle of putting in a new tablet. I appreciate all the tips.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

The Android Tablet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindley View Post
I just bought a 2015 Vibe BHS308 in June. It came with the Android Tablet that has an app on it to allow you to lower the power stabilizers, extend/retract the slides, extent/retract the awning, and even turn on the awning lights. This is all cool.....however, the app that does all this, goes away every time I unplug the docking cable. Its just no longer there. Comes back as soon as I plug the cable back in. If I have to stand inside the camper to use it (its mounted directly above the regular controls for most of these items), what good is it.

When we did our walk thru at the dealer, they told me that it stopped working because their own wifi signal was too strong and over powered the hub in the camper. While I'm not an RF engineer, I am a network engineer and after getting home and thinking about, this does not make a lot of sense to me. If its merely a wifi signal from the hub and the app is hosted on the hub rather than the tablet, it should still be able to connect. Anyone that runs a wifi network in their home will know that most of their neighbors have wifi too and everything generally works fine.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, how do I fix it?

We also own a 308 we had same problem 6 mths back (once we convinced forest River that we had a wireless router ) we got a new wireless router fixed problem. Same tablet new router.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471703301.114091.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	117878 it is located behind the trash can by the hot water tank.
Bdcclc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Site Team

Wireless router being too strong sounds like an excuse for I don't know how to connect it. If it has not been registered with the router it will only work when physically connected. Use the connect to network procedure for the tablet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Flybob may have a point they did say when we bought ours that FR gave them no training on the link pad system. Ours worked when we got our camper then just quit doing the same thing that you described and we had no power from the little box on front of router but had power to that box. It is all one unit so they sent us a new wireless router and password (under warranty).
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Forgot the other way to check is with ur smart phone search for wireless network it should pull up your my rv network if router is working.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
Site Team

I can't remember if they hide the SSID on those routers, but if they don't, then a smart phone or tablet will certainly find it.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

Found it

Ok I got the SSID and password configured on the tablet. The only issue I have now, is that the signal coming from the hub seems to die about the time I get to either the front or the back of the camper......I cannot go over to the side with my slides. It loses the signal every time. At least in my driveway. I'll try it again this weekend when we go camping. So far, I'm not overly impressed with this thing. It should have a much stronger signal than that!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Site Team

You may need to add an external antenna. If the router antenna is attached by a connector , you can remove it and buy an external antenna on a length of coax. Another option is to add a remote antenna and mount to a window on the slide side of the unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

That's a good idea. I actually have an old wifi extender in my upstairs bedroom that I think might do the trick. Just need to plug it into a 120 outlet, but then it would only work when I'm connected to power at either my house or at a campground. When looking at what is currently installed, I have not seen an antenna. There was a photo of what is installed that someone posted earlier. I'll take another look though.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
Site Team

There should be a hub and a range extender installed in the RV according to LCI documents. Have you located both the hub and range extender? If so, check the range extender to make sure it's powered on.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #15

I will have to try to locate the range extender. So far I have only found the hub that was in the cabinet over the kitchen counter. I looked through the documentation that the dealer gave me, but so far I have not located anything about this system. Does anyone know where I can find some?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
Site Team

There are several documents on the LCI site (installation, configuration, etc.). You can search for MyRV link and it'll direct you to the LCI pages. At the bottom of the main page are the links to the documents.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #17

The Android Tablet???

The router extender whatever you want to call it is behind the trash can in the cabinet above the hot water tank not easy to get to if you weigh 230 lbs. You pull out the trash can then crawl in the door you will see a fuse panel control board on the left just behind the piece of paneling that separates the hot water tank the router is mounted right above it on the inside of the outside wall. When I change mine out, due to it failing, I moved it up into the trash can compartment closer to the front door easier to get to and also seemed to improve signal strength. I walk all around our camper when setting up or putting up. It's all I use.