Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #41

I'm lucky because I got my used 5er because the dealer wouldn't sell it to a person without enough truck. It was listed at about 1/2 of retail and I called about it as soon as I saw it. He told me he had it sold, but the guy showed up in a 1/2 ton pickup. The wouldn't sell it to him. He asked me what kind of truck I had. I told him I had the truck for it (dodge diesel 3500 with 8' bed) and I would be there tomorrow. This thing has a gvwr of 14,000 lbs. No way a half ton was going to do it.

I love this trailer, although at this very moment, I am replacing some rot on the bedroom slide. I did know it was there, just getting around to it.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
At work today (An essential automotive technician). I noticed across the street first house in the neighborhood an F150 getting new rear glass. In the beginning of the week they had a new 35 footish new Saber fiver in the driveway. Well yes at the least of their problems the made contact with the cab and glass. My boss lives 2 houses down and talked to her and next the truck was in our shop. She wanted air bags installed. I told my boss that the air bags were not going to fix her problem. They agreed to do it any way. I looked in the bed and they had the nice but heavy auto slider that the dealer installed. I brought the truck in put it on the lift and found the leaf spring hard ware on both sides with a good amount of damage. Her truck was a 17 F150 1600 pay load 500 pound hitch and she said her dry pin weight was 2000. She said the dealership told her she was right at her tow limit but would have no problem. [emoji1781] I explained to her the truth and gave her the knowledge of payload. Her jaw just dropped. She wanted to see the difference in an hd truck so i showed her mine. She was very grateful and up set about what had happened. None the less she is doing the right thing although taking in in the pants and getting more truck. I also suggested she should join a group like us. Now that i realize it is part of th FR family i didn't earlier today. At least now they will be safe. I added a pick of the leaf spring. Attachment 228667
So, I'm also automotive tech.. and looking at your picture, i've seen that before.. but it wasn't caused by deflection or overloading.. it was caused by a tech who was installing an add-a-leaf (which doesn't fix the problem, just makes it look better). That tab was bent out to add the leaf into the whole pack. One side looked like the picture you posted, the other side had been bent back in to hold the leaf.
I pride myself in my work. I've been doing it for 30+ yrs. I've had customers ask me if their vehicle could pull this or that.. many times i've plain out said no... they come back with "but the sales guy said I could".. Some listen to my advice, some don't. I always try to go out of my way to help out or offer advice, as you do.
Great job in convincing her to upgrade to a proper tow vehicle though..
So many out there towing that shouldn't be!!
lilmikey_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
It's always interesting to hear of dealers who will apparently do and claim most anything to sell an RV (...probably same ones who send new owners home without knowing where to find their battery cut-off or water pump...or, not knowing that the AC won't run on 12V!?). While we probably don't want to launch into naming names, I'm particularly aware of a "reputation" that Country Roads RV here in NC has for quizzing all prospective buyers about their tow vehicles...usually before they will even show a unit. You can read online reviews and we hear others of their customers initially feeling "insulted" by the dealer telling them that their vehicle is "insufficient" for towing. IMO, it's much better to be "insulted" than to be in a serious accident at worst, or to have a tow vehicle that's a bear to handle and quickly ruined at best. Hats off to all dealers who are in it for the long pull and who sell with both quality and integrity! ...OK, off soapbox (and, no, I'm not employed by CR nor am I a customer).
I grew up in a small business family and my dad would always bend over backwards (and lose money) to do the right thing. I'm not in business for myself, but if I were in the RV business I couldn't sleep at night if I wasn't honest about weights and safety - even if it meant I lost sales. It just wouldn't even be a question for me.

2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
Old Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #44
Predator59

All trucks have ratings for a reason. All it would take is a few RV dealers to get sued about setting people up for disaster. They have to tow it home from the dealer and should be held accountable to what they hook it to. Weights are on trailers, capacity's are on trucks, seems simple enough and dealers need to be licensed and insured. Myself I use the 80%rule...if the truck says 10k, I pull no more than 8k for things like fuel/water/wife. For the 1/2 towable crowd...some 1/2 tons are rated for 11k tow and 2000lb payload and others are 8000k tow and 1500lb payload, not equal. People need to educate themselves but the professionals, sales, finance, warranty, mechanic, tech, need to be accountable by manufacturer and government.
Dwjackson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #45

Im sure your truck is fine. You could post a pick of the yellow sticker on the door jam. You should hit the scales and get your tongue weight dialed in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragueman View Post
Hi y'all. Another newbie here. I have an f 150 eco boost. Just bought a Rockwood 2614 bs 30 ft just under 7000 lbs tongue weight 700 lbs. Have a blue ox 10000 lb wdh. The odd time I have some sway in the trailer which I would love to address. Any suggestions. Dealing the truck is not an option. Thanks in advance
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Well, you sound like the type of technician that can be hard to find... an honest one!
I take offense to that statement. It's not the technicians that are dishonest, it's the service managers and dealer principles that are the problem. We just have to do as we are told.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmikey_ab View Post
So, I'm also automotive tech.. and looking at your picture, i've seen that before.. but it wasn't caused by deflection or overloading.. it was caused by a tech who was installing an add-a-leaf (which doesn't fix the problem, just makes it look better). That tab was bent out to add the leaf into the whole pack. One side looked like the picture you posted, the other side had been bent back in to hold the leaf.
I pride myself in my work. I've been doing it for 30+ yrs. I've had customers ask me if their vehicle could pull this or that.. many times i've plain out said no... they come back with "but the sales guy said I could".. Some listen to my advice, some don't. I always try to go out of my way to help out or offer advice, as you do.
Great job in convincing her to upgrade to a proper tow vehicle though..
So many out there towing that shouldn't be!!
From another tech, I absolutely agree with you and I could understand what the pictures was suppose to convey.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I take offense to that statement. It's not the technicians that are dishonest, it's the service managers and dealer principles that are the problem. We just have to do as we are told.
Yes the good ones like us. Unfortunately alot of guys are on commission only pay and it is very easy to get into (recommending) repairs to pad the pay check.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Yes the good ones like us. Unfortunately alot of guys are on commission only pay and it is very easy to get into (recommending) repairs to pad the pay check.
I never considered that. Where I work techs are paid by the hour and it's the same for all the shops in our town. I do believe that most people are honest by nature and would do the right thing. Unfortunately dealerships that pay techs by the hour tend to hire dishonest service managers to maximize profits. Lots of times your told to do what is asked regardless. Sometimes you absolutely refuse because it's just "stupid". Our service manager will actually lie to you and the customer to get the work done. For example, service manager what you to install a 5th week hitch and air bags in a Tundra. You question the service manager as to the amount of weight and payload and the service manager says it's just a small 5th wheel (Escape). Why the air bags and the response is that the customer puts a quad in the back of the truck. After you perform the work you see the Tundra around town pulling an overweight 5th wheel trailer.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #50

It’s funny that nobody has criticized the drivers for even leaving the lot. Knowing squat about payload is no excuse. The back end of that truck would almost be dragging the ground. Definitely would have been sitting on bump stops. I owned a 2014 ECO boost and man did it ride smooth, but 12 bags of cement and it was squatting real good. The squat was so bad on my trailer. I couldn’t place a block under the front jack because the truck went down so far that with the jack up all the way. The trailer sat on the block. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	229765

This is a recent pick of my 2018 Ram 1500 with 1900lb payload. I doubt I had over 1k in it. I know my new truck has coil springs in rear and that the pallet was just to back of the center of the bed. My Tundra and 150 sag just as much. Heck I put aircells ( fancy bumpstops) on my Dually because with my 2k pin weight I sagged.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #51

Quote:
I never considered that. Where I work techs are paid by the hour and it's the same for all the shops in our town. I do believe that most people are honest by nature and would do the right thing. Unfortunately dealerships that pay techs by the hour tend to hire dishonest service managers to maximize profits. Lots of times your told to do what is asked regardless. Sometimes you absolutely refuse because it's just "stupid". Our service manager will actually lie to you and the customer to get the work done. For example, service manager what you to install a 5th week hitch and air bags in a Tundra. You question the service manager as to the amount of weight and payload and the service manager says it's just a small 5th wheel (Escape). Why the air bags and the response is that the customer puts a quad in the back of the truck. After you perform the work you see the Tundra around town pulling an overweight 5th wheel trailer.
Unfortunately there are only a handful of places that will pay hourly or salary in Florida. Unfortunately i just got laid off from a salary position and at this point would love to find a way out of this business.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Unfortunately there are only a handful of places that will pay hourly or salary in Florida. Unfortunately i just got laid off from a salary position and at this point would love to find a way out of this business.
I actually got very lucky in a bad sort of way. After 30 plus years in the trade I ended up having surgery on both hand because of carpal tunnel. I've been off work for almost a year because of complication from the left hand surgery. Insurance has kicked in when my wage stopped and now it looks like I'll be on disability until I retire. It really is a thankless occupation with a low wage, incredible work pressures and no pension. Most techs dies early from stress and chemical exposure and or/are disabled from back, knee or hand issues. I would never recommend this occupation to anyone.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #53

Quote:
I actually got very lucky in a bad sort of way. After 30 plus years in the trade I ended up having surgery on both hand because of carpal tunnel. I've been off work for almost a year because of complication from the left hand surgery. Insurance has kicked in when my wage stopped and now it looks like I'll be on disability until I retire. It really is a thankless occupation with a low wage, incredible work pressures and no pension. Most techs dies early from stress and chemical exposure and or/are disabled from back, knee or hand issues. I would never recommend this occupation to anyone.
I couldn't put it in my own words any better. Sorry to hear of your complications with your hands. It has to be hard after the years of them being tools.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #54

Take your layoff as a good thing and an opportunity to try something else. Get out before you damage yourself perminently. Techs are smart guys and can do many other things.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Take your layoff as a good thing and an opportunity to try something else. Get out before you damage yourself perminently. Techs are smart guys and can do many other things.
I agree with this statement, my son went all thru auto tech in vo-tech in high school and then the local community college and tech school and after less then two years said he didn't want to work on cars and trucks anymore, he then found a job at a juice import company in industrial maintenance, he seems really happy and said he is learning even more, at only 25 years old he has plenty of time to find his way and he even stated he is getting paid to learn new things...….smart kid
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #56

Quote:
I know it has been a long "Covid 19" Time since this topic has been touched on but was just thinking about this conversation. Yes i took time. I did a lot of thinking. I damn near opened my own shop. But i held out and now i will be starting this week at a local technical college as an instructor! I am happy with this discussion along with my family and friends! Hell someone said the word retirement program! What the hell is that?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #57

Quote:
I know it has been a long "Covid 19" Time since this topic has been touched on but was just thinking about this conversation. Yes i took time. I did a lot of thinking. I damn near opened my own shop. But i held out and now i will be starting this week at a local technical college as an instructor! I am happy with this discussion along with my family and friends! Hell someone said the word retirement program! What the hell is that?

Nice! Enjoy your retirement job.

I have to figure out what I plan to do for the next 7 years until I retire. The dealership I work for wants me to come back as a service writer. Not a chance in hell.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Nice! Enjoy your retirement job.

I have to figure out what I plan to do for the next 7 years until I retire. The dealership I work for wants me to come back as a service writer. Not a chance in hell.
I don't blame you one bit. Just try to do something you enjoy. The retirement part is still a good way down the road but at 40 at least now i have a chance and get to mostly not take chemical baths daily.

Tags
dealer, newbie