Old 05-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

The dealers got another newbie.

At work today (An essential automotive technician). I noticed across the street first house in the neighborhood an F150 getting new rear glass. In the beginning of the week they had a new 35 footish new Saber fiver in the driveway. Well yes at the least of their problems the made contact with the cab and glass. My boss lives 2 houses down and talked to her and next the truck was in our shop. She wanted air bags installed. I told my boss that the air bags were not going to fix her problem. They agreed to do it any way. I looked in the bed and they had the nice but heavy auto slider that the dealer installed. I brought the truck in put it on the lift and found the leaf spring hard ware on both sides with a good amount of damage. Her truck was a 17 F150 1600 pay load 500 pound hitch and she said her dry pin weight was 2000. She said the dealership told her she was right at her tow limit but would have no problem. I explained to her the truth and gave her the knowledge of payload. Her jaw just dropped. She wanted to see the difference in an hd truck so i showed her mine. She was very grateful and up set about what had happened. None the less she is doing the right thing although taking in in the pants and getting more truck. I also suggested she should join a group like us. Now that i realize it is part of th FR family i didn't earlier today. At least now they will be safe. I added a pick of the leaf spring. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_122356.jpeg
Views:	433
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	228667

robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Scoundrel

I wonder if she considered going back to the RV dealer and revisit their claim that her F150 could tow that 5vr with her newly acquired education.

Good for you to help her out!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I wonder if she considered going back to the RV dealer and revisit their claim that her F150 could tow that 5vr with her newly acquired education.

I like helping. I dont think the will go back to general RV after this. I think the are going to loose a good amount on the trade in on the truck.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I like helping. I dont think the will go back to general RV after this. I think the are going to loose a good amount on the trade in on the truck.
You may have saved their lives with your advice. They might be ok with the trade because dealers are hungry and interest rates are low. It's got to be cheaper than ruining their current truck.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You may have saved their lives with your advice. They might be ok with the trade because dealers are hungry and interest rates are low. It's got to be cheaper than ruining their current truck.
That was part of my explanation that car dealers are hungry. Yes i and they agreed that they now feel unsafe in that truck . Even though they felt it pulled ok. I explained yes it may (pull ok ) but it doesn't do the job ok.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

Coming from Michigan, I am just in awe at how incredibly clean the undercarriage of that 2-3 year old truck is.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #7

You did the right and difficult thing. No one ever wants to hear it and and many don't believe even after it is explained...they were a very extreme over weight case and saw damage quickly.

While you are a general automotive tech do you work at a dealer? Just wondering if they now have a voice they know they can trust or they think there is someone else trying to sell them something. Glad you told them airbags would not solve their problem as that should help. Worst case they will at least join a forum and read thread after thread of overweight folks in the same position and hopefully learn that you had their best interest in mind.

Thanks!

BTW - Does this now make you the weight police ?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

Thats Florida for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Coming from Michigan, I am just in awe at how incredibly clean the undercarriage of that 2-3 year old truck is.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #9

Quote:
While shopping for our trailer, I was working with a salesman from General RV. They have a store about 5 miles from my home. He was looking to sell me a Grand Design that had a dry TW of about 1k lbs. My truck at the time had a cargo rating of 1400. When I balked, he had the GD regional sales guy call and tell me that that trailer was designed to be pulled by 1/2 ton trucks.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
You did the right and difficult thing. No one ever wants to hear it and and many don't believe even after it is explained...they were a very extreme over weight case and saw damage quickly.

While you are a general automotive tech do you work at a dealer? Just wondering if they now have a voice they know they can trust or they think there is someone else trying to sell them something. Glad you told them airbags would not solve their problem as that should help. Worst case they will at least join a forum and read thread after thread of overweight folks in the same position and hopefully learn that you had their best interest in mind.

Thanks!

BTW - Does this now make you the weight police ?
I dont think im a weight cop. Just a master automotive technician. At a private shop.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
While shopping for our trailer, I was working with a salesman from General RV. They have a store about 5 miles from my home. He was looking to sell me a Grand Design that had a dry TW of about 1k lbs. My truck at the time had a cargo rating of 1400. When I balked, he had the GD regional sales guy call and tell me that that trailer was designed to be pulled by 1/2 ton trucks.
I bought from lazydays days and i was very new to this. From lots of research and educated people from forum's such as this i feel well versed now. The first thing lazy days did was check pay load. Not saying they are great but i feel they did thag part right.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:36 AM   #12

Quote:
I dont think im a weight cop. Just a master automotive technician. At a private shop.
Well, you sound like the type of technician that can be hard to find... an honest one!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:47 AM   #13

Bought our 1st TT last summer did not know a thing about payload. Fortunately I stayed on the light side and purchased a Flagstaff 21 Ds to pull behind 2014 GMC Sierra. Got on this site and quickly became a fan of the “weight police” and got educated.
We discovered we liked the travel life and just purchased a Flagstaff 26fkbs will pick it up on Tue. Upgraded truck to a 2020 Ram 2500, if not for the education I received from this forum would have hitched to my 1/2 ton GMC and headed down the road
Thanks to all for your insight.
Csbadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nice that she found a mech that know a thing or two about towing!
Old 05-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #15

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Well, you sound like the type of technician that can be hard to find... an honest one!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #16
FLY4FUN

Safe towing...

It's always interesting to hear of dealers who will apparently do and claim most anything to sell an RV (...probably same ones who send new owners home without knowing where to find their battery cut-off or water pump...or, not knowing that the AC won't run on 12V!?). While we probably don't want to launch into naming names, I'm particularly aware of a "reputation" that Country Roads RV here in NC has for quizzing all prospective buyers about their tow vehicles...usually before they will even show a unit. You can read online reviews and we hear others of their customers initially feeling "insulted" by the dealer telling them that their vehicle is "insufficient" for towing. IMO, it's much better to be "insulted" than to be in a serious accident at worst, or to have a tow vehicle that's a bear to handle and quickly ruined at best. Hats off to all dealers who are in it for the long pull and who sell with both quality and integrity! ...OK, off soapbox (and, no, I'm not employed by CR nor am I a customer).
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #17

On a happier note it ain't always the "dealer":

Many years ago I purchased a new, small Coleman popup camper. Was to be our first camper after years of tent camping. Dealer was "prepping" the camper and I was going to pick it up in a few days. The next day the dealer owner called me at work and voided the sale as my proposed "tow vehicle" was incapable of towing even this little trailer. This started my information quest on the subject.

My personal rule is the One Ton Rule which simply states the trailer's loaded weight must be 2000 pounds less than the tow vehicle's max towing capacity. 6 months later I bought a new 5500 pound rated Explorer and a 3500 pound Coleman Bayside popup the same week. Since progressed to a 9300 pound rated Expedition and a ~5500 pound Roo hybrid. If I get anything heavier than the Roo I'll upgrade the "truck." (Highly doubtful as my wife insists on sleeping under canvas -- we're camping, not RVing.)

Overkill always works.

-- Chuck
Old 05-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post

Whirledpeaz is absolutely correct about hard to find reliable technicians. When we moved here 13 years ago that was on the top of my list since I travel often and wanted my wife to have a go-to if she needed it. Found one ! Excellent service over the past 12.5 years. We never hesitate to go to him. It also helps that he has the same truck we do.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #19
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post

true, but if its not in writing, the conversation never happened. Just a fact these days.

New 5er AND a new truck! WOW
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #20

The other thing people don't talk about enough is length. when I had my 2011 F150 EcoBoost I made sure every weight was lower than max. Had a WD anti-sway dual cam hitch, however the trailer was over 32ft long and I could feel the tail trying to wag the dog, not a fun drive. Upgraded to F250 SRW LWB and all was good. Decided to order a 42ft 19k 5th wheel, so just traded in the 250 for a F350 DRW.

2021 Riverstone 37mre on order
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newbie