Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

The Friend Zone-Camping

I have a good friend that has been camping with me and my son as we have kids the same age....nascar races and what not and I have never asked for much in return and am happy to do it. Today he asks in that way that you can tell he is hinting and trying to talk me into using the RV for a float trip he has planned with his wife. The conversation starts talking about camping...tenting and the heat. How horrible it is....and so on and so on. Been down this road I shut it down pretty quick...but did finally bite on letting him use my weber Q. At what point do adults need to buy their own stuff....or at minimum pitch a few dollars for using my stuff? At no point would i allow anyone other than my Father to use my camper....the grill is even a a bit far for me. What nerve.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Today he asks in that way that you can tell he is hinting and trying to talk me into using the RV for a float trip he has planned with his wife.
I wouldn't do it...almost a sure fired way to end a friendship! I wouldn't be interested in renting our camper out to a friend either. If he's a true friend, he'll understand.

Dave

Edit: If he's the type that wants to borrow anything you have and no offer of payment, he's no friend to have anyways!

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Professional Texan

I would never loan my RV to anybody. It's too fragile, too easy to mess up and if it does get messed upped I'm going to do it myself. ...and I have too much invested in it. If you do decide to loan it to your friend it wont be the last time, he will ask again.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Yea I wouldn't loan out anything or rent it...smarter than that. My point on throwing a few bucks my way is that sometimes it's nice to get a surprise for all the work that goes into a trip. My other buddies that have gone to races with me have at least pitched me some gas money and one even a camping world gift card. It's the little things. Just hit me as a bit forward today.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Yea I wouldn't loan out anything or rent it...smarter than that. My point on throwing a few bucks my way is that sometimes it's nice to get a surprise for all the work that goes into a trip. My other buddies that have gone to races with me have at least pitched me some gas money and one even a camping world gift card. It's the little things. Just hit me as a bit forward today.
A quick way to end it, "Sure, I'll loan you my rv and you can rent me and my wife a 5 star motel plus meals while you have it. Oh and a rental car also."
Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

Years ago 25 + my wife and I borrowed a friends pop up camper for a trip toYellowstone. We made it from Montrose to Salt Lake when I noticed smoke billow from the camper as we drove north on the freeway. We managed to get the camper to the campground at Lagoon. I called a traveling repair service and the tech found the axle and bearings were fried. He spent the day making repairs which cost a pretty penny. The park manager let us leave the camper and we finished our trip to Yellowstone spending the night I hotels.Never have borrowed equipment since.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Broken Toe

A simple "No" works best. But some folks are reluctant to use it. I never understood why, but I guess some people avoid conflict at all costs...

You can always say "My insurance will not cover anyone else using my camper". If he has a working brain, he will take the hint. If he says "My insurance will cover it with me" then you should just simply say "No".

Any problem he has with that is HIS not yours. A true friend would not push the issue.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

I've let my inlaws borrow ours from time to time, but my nerves are almost shot the whole time. That, and it seems that something is always broken when it comes back...minor stuff, a little torn seal here, a scuff there. Nothing I probably wouldn't have done myself, but I didn't do it.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #9

Yeah, the insurance issue mentioned previously is what would worry me. And when he's out there among other drivers, too many things out of your control and out of your friend's control can happen. Bad things. And expensive things.

I'd mention the insurance issue and let him borrow the grill.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
i've let my inlaws borrow ours from time to time, but my nerves are almost shot the whole time. That, and it seems that something is always broken when it comes back...minor stuff, a little torn seal here, a scuff there. Nothing i probably wouldn't have done myself, but i didn't do it.
exactly!!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

Yea I would not, it never comes back the same....
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

I am of a different mind set! Sure family/friends can go rent one but i pay it forward. camping in a camper is a luxury and many don't ever get a chance to afford it. I have two good buddies I let take our hybrid out once and a while. Both hard working good family men I trust. As long as you educate them on what to do I don't see a big issue. Accidents happen , sometimes not even our own fault but cause of someone else's stupidity or negligence! That's why we pay insurance.
Maybe your buddy using your is a way to get the rv experience for the. wife/family so they can buy one of their own!
But Go with your gut
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'll let my one brother borrow anything, as he can and will take care of things as his own. The biggest thing that gets me, is friends and neighbors always wanting to borrow my truck. I finally told them all, after I bought new truck, no more loaning.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I'll let my one brother borrow anything, as he can and will take care of things as his own. The biggest thing that gets me, is friends and neighbors always wanting to borrow my truck. I finally told them all, after I bought new truck, no more loaning.
Yeah funny how your everyone best friend when they find out you have a truck.
I have a truck and an enclosed car hauler ! Ask me how many houses I have moved😂
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #15

If it's truly a "good" friend then I let them borrow just about anything and they let me borrow just about anything. With my 2 best buds, I've got more toys but they have more tools. We have broken and fixed and replaced each others stuff a few times over the years and it always works out in the end.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Wanna Be Camper

Lent out my car hauler once to an EX friend. It came back with a bent tongue jack plate and the jack jammed because there is no cure for stupid. He never paid for the repair or the use of the trailer and notice how I slipped in the EX FRIEND thing. The only things I lend are tools and tractor implements to my neighbor and get the same from him, we understand the you break it you fix it thing. I would never ever ever lend or rent our RV to anyone including family. They are more than welcome to come camp with us or stay in it when they come home for a visit but they will never leave our yard with it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw on a pickup - "Yes It's My Pickup And No I Won't Help You Move"
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
TeresaInCAL

We've had people ask to borrow our trailer, and we just let them know we don't loan it to ANYONE, not even family. Tell them, there is a huge learning curve associated with it, and something is always breaking, and we're just not comfortable with doing that.
You just have to be firm.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #19

Just the opposite. My buddy had an old StarCraft pop-up and offered to let us take it for a week to go camping. We never trailer camped before, just pitched a tent. Now with three kids and a tow package on Wifey's new mini van I was eager to give it a try. He explained how to set it up, what the different functions did and what the grey water and fresh water hoses looked like and what they were for. We hooked up and drove to the lakes region of New Hampshire and had a ball! We brought him back souvenir's and lots of booze from their State Liquor Store. Most importantly, we brought his pop-up back in one piece! That's all it took to get us hooked. The next season we bought our Jayco 30ft TT, had that for 10 years and traded up to a 38ft CC fiver.
Had it not been for him being so generous, I doubt I'd be typing this to ya'll today.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

i don't mind borrowing the camper,boat or pickup to people i know that have some mechanical ability like my 2 sons or my brother but my future son in law ( who is a good guy) has exactly zero mechanical ability so he wont be borrowing it any time soon
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote