Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #21

I have a short 12' utility trailer. Backup assist is awesome for it. Normally, it would jackknife in a second if you take your eyes off of it for a second. I don't use it for my travel trailer.

My favorite option on my truck is adaptive cruise control.

Auto park is pretty amazing too, especially for parking on the left side of the street. It puts the truck inches from the curb.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #22

I had a 2008 Ford with the tailgate steps. Loved the steps, but, I also had a slide in camper at the time. That tailgate weighed a TON!!! If you don't have to remove the tailgate you should be fine.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So I guess it was an option. Too bad I can't retrofit it with it. Didn't see anything online.
I mounted a single step boat ladder on my tailgate. Needed it when I wheeled the mopeds into the truck bed.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Sigh. Too much money, and the little bumper corner steps seem like they would get messed up from road salt and dirt over time. Now that I have a hard tonneau cover, think I will just keep my little wooden step ladder in the bed of the truck, that's what I used before. That tailgate step is sweet though. Just not going to pay big bucks for one.
Kris, I have the Amp Research bed step and love it. At the time I bought it, Stage3 Motorsport had it for $199 and there was a $50 rebate. $150 is still a bit price, but it beat full price.

The nice thing is I can use it with the camper attached or not and with the tailgate up or down. Not so with the built in step by a Ford!

I’ve had it for one winter and there were no issues.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #25

I wonder how good the TPMS is on the trucks with the ability to put sensors on the trailer tires
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
That's what a friend of mine used to say about power windows makes the truck cost more and something else to go wrong Crank windows no longer exist now a days.
Its that they force on you no more free choice. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #27

When it comes to the step to help get into the truck bed, I got one of these. Whole lot cheaper than some I'm seeing here. I got it on sale for $39. It pivots & extends out, so you can use it if the tailgate is down. I have a receiver on the front of the truck, so I can move it there to help access the engine compartment.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-AS551-A...22292&sr=1-102

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a short 12' utility trailer. Backup assist is awesome for it. Normally, it would jackknife in a second if you take your eyes off of it for a second. I don't use it for my travel trailer.

Auto park is pretty amazing too, especially for parking on the left side of the street. It puts the truck inches from the curb.
Makes me wonder why you need all the extras unless you for got how to back up with a trailer no matter what size it is. Folks getting really lazy relying on all the extra cost items I'll save my money and that is why I order all my trucks to cut down on the expense which I sure do not need.
Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Agree the adaptive cc is nice. I use it all the time. Especially nice on a long trip. Slide in behind a semi and it keeps a nice following distance. Takes a bunch of stress off of the drive. Nice that starting with the 2018's, the cc will bring the vehicle to a complete stop if necessary.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #30

I have a 16 F150. I love the tailgate step and use it all the time.
The trailer backup assist only works when it wants to, but it taught me a few things in terms of setting and chasing and I am pretty good without it now.
The auto cruise control is a must have for me.
Lane assist is off for towing because it jerks the wheel and can cause sway. I use it when not towing. This works better on my wife's car as it will maintain center of the lane instead of correct after you cross the line.
Hate the auto brakes on my wife car and glad mine only beeps. It is wrong a lot. It almost caused an accident slamming the brakes for a car turning right in front of her. If anyone would have been behind her they would have hit her.
Power running boards are very nice. I didnt want them because it was something to break but they come down lower than the fixed ones and are wider helping DW get in the car.
Auto park I used once. It worked but has a large buffer to fit into. They turned of the perpendicular park because the trucks turning radius is so bad.
Alarm sensors are nice but the dog in the car will set them off.
The 360 cameras are helpful but Ford resolution is poor and it needs to turn on when you slow or stop.
LED lights in the mirrors are worthless because they turn them off too quickly if you move.
I wish I had a rambox...those are nice. The trunk would be nice as well.
I am not crazy about the smart wiring for the trailer harness. I think it causes more problems than it solves but it has helped once.
I do like the milage recording for the trailer but for some reason you have to manually tell it you are towing or the miles to empty are jacked up for a tank. Why wouldn't they auto switch this when the trailer is connected?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #31

I have a new 2018 F150. Back up assist is amazing! Love my back tailgate step as well.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #32
Just as confused as you

I hope the vehicles with adaptive cc has a mechanical speed sensor, I kinda doubt it though. I had a '99 Dodge Dakota and the speed sensor was a magnet on the drive shaft. It threw the magnet 4 times in the 6 years I had it. Each time the brake failure light would come on and I lost ABS, CC and the speedo would drop below 0 mph. I was familiar enough with that truck I used the tach to judge my speed until I got it fixed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I have Ford's tailgate step on my truck. The older I get, the more I appreciate it...
x2 I love the step
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I hope the vehicles with adaptive cc has a mechanical speed sensor, I kinda doubt it though. I had a '99 Dodge Dakota and the speed sensor was a magnet on the drive shaft. It threw the magnet 4 times in the 6 years I had it. Each time the brake failure light would come on and I lost ABS, CC and the speedo would drop below 0 mph. I was familiar enough with that truck I used the tach to judge my speed until I got it fixed.
Your biggest problem was buying a Dodge Dakota.

All speed sensors are electronic. How would you think a computer would read a mechanical speed sensor? LOL.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #35

truck accessories

Quote:
So I guess it was an option. Too bad I can't retrofit it with it. Didn't see anything online.
I bought a pre-owned 2014 f-150 screw xlt 2wd model and it came with the step in the tailgate. my son actually showed it to me when I brought it home from the dealer. the salesman failed to point that feature out during the pdi. rarely use it but its there when I need to.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #36

We use our tailgates for work surfaces a lot on the farm. The tailgate step seriously screws that up with the bump in the middle of the tailgate. Also makes it difficult to slide things in and out of the bed. We remove them from the Fords and replace with a flat panel.

Haven't seen the GM version yet.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We use our tailgates for work surfaces a lot on the farm. The tailgate step seriously screws that up with the bump in the middle of the tailgate. Also makes it difficult to slide things in and out of the bed. We remove them from the Fords and replace with a flat panel.

Haven't seen the GM version yet.
The newer style Ford step has the handle integrated inside the tailgate, so you don't have that issue anymore:

Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The newer style Ford step has the handle integrated inside the tailgate, so you don't have that issue anymore:

Ah, much better......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #39
RV There Yet?

Im just going to leave this here...

IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #40

economy steps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STEP.jpg