Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
The next time you're getting passed by semi's

The next time you're towing your trailer down the Interstate in pouring down rain, and semi's are passing you like your going backwards, remember this story. It could very well be young Mary, who does not know what 6 tons is in "pounds" Indeed!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/young-se...210035397.html

http://www.newsoxy.com/odd/paoli-bridge-17-187548.html
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern, IL
Posts: 3,272
A buddy is a retired IL trooper who told me about stopping a big rig to discover the eastern European driver had his 12 year old son with him to translate as the driver did not speak or read English.

My buddy said he could have forgiven the driver infraction but could not feel good about the risk to the boy and decided the best for all involved was to take them to jail and let the system that put them there sort it out.
__________________
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RLWS
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 157
Mistakes happen. Let's hope this is never one of us. But boy is that a pretty penny to fix
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Wobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern, IL
Posts: 3,272
Just read the edit/additional link to the first post.

"The driver, 23-year-old Mary Lambright of Fredericksburg, was inexperienced and had just left the Amish order about a year ago."
__________________
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RLWS
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
Those semi's really put out some spray.
Speed up ha.
I let them go on case their tire blows or they throw rocks.
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,202
And These are the people that are going to take over running this country! WOW!
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bareftn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: austinburg ohio
Posts: 794
clutchd, you call that a mistake WOW I am at a loss words being a semi driver for over 40 years
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,626
I responded to a motor vehicle accident on a bridge in our Base's training area (military base) where a Leopard II tank had struck the side upon entry.

When I got there the turret was locked into the back position and had not recoiled forward. A young corporal MP was standing on the deck at the front looking at the barrel when the tank crew commander yelled at him to get off the tank.

when asked why? The commander responded If you'd like to see teh top of the bridge from an aerial view stay where your at.

Apparently the tank gunner had not noticed that barrel was at an angle upon bridge entry and drove it into the main side supports. Shoving the head backward.

Not everyone is a smrt driver or operator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burlingtonskywaycollapse-featured-635x357.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	97000  
__________________
TV 2018 Ford F250, hauling a 2018 KZ 331 TH 12 Sportster 5th wheel, packing a 2015 CF MOTO 800 U-Force SXS
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 278
Lol we have a bridge here in Durham NC that people regularly try to destroy with Trucks. It's been there for over a 100 years... They put a huge ass Iron Rail across the road on posts on both sides to remind people in case they forget or can't read...Low Bridge 11'8" Clearance.


https://youtu.be/xzkWTcDZFH0
__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,626
had a meat truck a few yrs ago here that got "sandwiched" under the deck and told police that he had stopped on the road back a ways and let air out of the trailer tires... when he figured he was close he said he didn't see any cops around so he decided to "go for it"

Didn't turn out too well as he was stuck there for almost 3 hours.
Can't fix stupid some days.
__________________
TV 2018 Ford F250, hauling a 2018 KZ 331 TH 12 Sportster 5th wheel, packing a 2015 CF MOTO 800 U-Force SXS
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Low bridge always wins

There is a low RR bridge in Pierre,SD that claims a number of semi's and rv's every year. Drivers have been trying to knock it down for years. It is easy to avoid but it requires the ability to read! Also I have encountered several low curved over passes you best tackle in the middle lane or pray you can clear the 13 something ft warning on the right or left edge. So far been lucky so far!
Dakota C Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Always remember Semi will always win! I hate that they still use Retreads !!!
Avan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,462
Since 95% of the semi drivers are really decent and professional people I bet they are really embarrassed by the actions of the other 5%.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Since 95% of the semi drivers are really decent and professional people I bet they are really embarrassed by the actions of the other 5%.

Isn't that true for everyone?


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,202
Avan. Better stop flying than cause planes use retreads. Have been for years. Trucks cant use them on steering wheels, just all the others.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 197
How about trying to drive a 40 ton semi on a 6 ton historic bridge.... Bridge collapses in southern Indiana when truck drives over - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports
__________________
John & Mary Jo
Enjoying the adventure
Ky-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.