Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

The right truck

We're in the process of switching from a Class A to an XLR 300x12. My first challenge is finding the right truck. I've narrowed it down to a Silverado 2500 diesel crew cab. Ones with 20" wheels are fairly easy to find but from what I've read I think I want one with 17" or 18" wheels. What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

The outside tire diameter will be almost exactly the same reguardless of the wheel size. And anymore the tires will be priced pretty close to the same as well.
If i remember correctly, only sizes available are 18s or 20s for single wheel gm hd's (on 2011 models on up). I believe the dually 3500's have 17s only.
I do know for sure that the 18s are rated higher for weight as you can't get the 20s for 3500 single wheels.
Basically it boils down to what you like. For me, i put 18" wheels on my Chevy HD truck, but i run much larger mud tires and the 18" tires were cheaper and more readily available in the style i like, plus the 4080 lb per tire load limit of my tire was phenomenal. But on my Dw's tahoe i went with 22"s because of looks and might even go with 24"s in the future. ( sorry i know that last part was a little off topic-being a non hd). Personally if i got one of the new gm 2500hd's, i would get the factory 20s since i think they look really sharp!

Good luck on your decision!!! I know it can be nerve wracking trying to get it "just right" when looking at all the options!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks MillerTime. I guess what I was thinking was that with more sidewall (18" tire) I would have a better ride. I'm looking at 2012-2014 Silverados
Old 01-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

In the past i could tell a difference going from 16s to 18s, but i couldn't tell going from 18s to 20s. And i noticed going from 20s on one tahoe to 22s on another, the 22s seemed rougher.
Butttttt...... every brand and style of tire is different and rides different so its hard to speculate.
I know about 12 years ago i bought my first crew cab Chevy and i thought it rode like a Cadillac and a dream compared to my extended cab that was only a year old. (Both 4x4) My mother rode with me after i got it and said " it sure rides like a truck", but she had, and still has a Mercury Grand Marquis, and those cars feel like their floating.

Just drive a few and try them out and see what you like.
Fyi-- if a gm heavy duty is "leveled", it will often times ride a little rougher as well.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck