Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Cool The RV show, Dave Ramsey and Me.

Went out to the Atlanta Fall RV Show today.

Looked all over for a Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280SS, but there wasn't one. There was some Flagstaff stuff there and we poked around in those for a while. There was a $1,300,000 Prevost Bus that people were lined up for a block to see. They let you in that 4 at a time. We weren't that curious about Warrent Buffets RV, so we passed on that. Put our name in all the drawings. Amazed at all the non-RV stuff that was there. Learned a little more about 5th wheel hitches and found a really neat Honda 2500w genny for under $800. Yes, that's right. But don't know how loud it is. Didn't see anything new that I liked better than the 8280SS.

Left the show and as we were getting on the expressway, noticed a "mini-show" across the highway from the real show. A closer look and it was one of the larger Rockwood dealers in the area! A closer look, and a few questions asked...bingo! There's a 8280SS!! Parked in about 6" of mud but there it was!
I've seen all the other floor plans but only pictures of the 8280SS.

Went over it with a "fine toothed digital camera" and looked in every door, hole, nook and cranny. Price was marked down, but not far enough. Salesman was all over this couple who were all over the trailer, too.

The only thing I don't like about the trailer is the slide out motor is mounted between the tires under the slide, which means 1) The motor is constantly exposed to road grime and spray 2) If a tire lets go, it will beat the crap out of the motor before you could ever find a place to pull off. How dumb.

Oh yeah, and they put Carlise tires and wheels on it. Bummer.

I'm glad the salesman was busy with someone else. I wouldn't have bought that trailer anyway, as it has a booth and $1000 worth of stuff I don't need. When my wife and I sit in a Rockwood booth, our knees touch! We'll be getting the table and chairs. We'll order our trailer when we have met certain financial objectives. While we won't be paying cash for the trailer (Sorry, Dave) we will have cash reserves and no other debt. This should happen about April.

But the waiting is tough, especially on pretty days like today. But I'm another day closer, on schedule and on budget! (Thanks, Dave)

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #2

I was disappointed in the show too... my 4yo son and I went this afternoon and wandered through a dozen or so TTs, looked at some other stuff that we can't afford, but like you was amazed at the amount of non-RV type booths set up.. mostly county fair type snake oil dealers (knives that never dull, pans that won't burn, cosmetic jewelery, rainbow vacuums, etc).

I think we spent about 1-1.5 hours in there and then decided to head back to the other side of town. the $9 that I paid to get in would have been better spent at camping world in Woodstock when we stopped there on the way home.

Bryce

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote