Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #1

Wink The RV'ers PROFILE... who are you?

A friendly observation! New to this forum, waiting for our RV to arrive and literally stalking this forum - living vicariously through you all, I have noticed that you have some distinct profiles.

1. Retired or empty nesters that travel the country
2. Young families with kids trying to get away from video games and work.
3. Frugal, responsible and independant.

Where are the yuppies and hippies, are you here? What if you had to pigeon hole yourself, how would you discribe yourself??
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #2

overworked, underpaid, lots of kids, lots of responsibility and need breaks often.
On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxRock
similar to wvsteve, except I only have 2 kids and one of them is getting ready to fly the coupe this fall.

We are camping next week during spring break and I can't wait! I really need the break and get away for a few days!

'02 Chevy 2500HD 415k miles as of Dec-18
DMax/ZF-6 Speed, CCLB, 0-70-110 HP VA Tuner, 5" exhaust, H2 Tires/Chrome Wheels (315x70-17),
B&W GN hitch and 5th Wheel Companion, BrakeSmart Brake Controller
MaxRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #4

I really don't know.

what the heck am I?? I've been called a PITA before
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #5

Some camping background, tent, popup, HTT, and now TT. Took kids camping each Summer during their childhood and now we meet at the beach together and they are now 29, 27, and 22, it is always fun. Kids graduated from college and working full time and doing well. We just got a FR Wildwood LE 29BHBS TT and packed it up today and plan to take to beach for a trial in a couple of weeks, we will park it there, dont have large enough tow vehicle. We have an older , small, and lighter HTT we tow for local trips. Have three kids, empty nest, love having the grandson over and taking him camping. Lots of work in business and busy at church and other ministry work. enjoy outdoors, exercise, family, married over 31 years and loving her, enjoy travelling, rving, fishing, pets, have two dogs, enjoy making new friends and helping people. have a blessed day.
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #6

My Wife And I ,and My Son.
Never Camped,just Bought First Tt. 8317ss,trying Too
Get Away Some Instead Of Working 24-7
HOWIE BEDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Tented with my parents/siblings growing up.
Tented with my own family when my kids were little.
Bought a tent trailer in 1996 and used it until wife decided she couldn't live without a bathroom!
Traded for a 2003 Keystone Outback (in 2002)
Decided we wanted to rent a 'seasonal' camping space, and wanted to upsize.
Traded for a 2008 Salem Park Trailer (in 2007)
We are/were 'empty nesters', but you know how kids move out/in. Now we have a grandaughter we love to bring out to the lake...and it's 'fun' again!

Ahhhh the camping memories....wouldn't trade all the places, faces, and memories for nothin'!

Enjoy your future!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #8

Been camping since I was a year old. My wife came with a few times to my parents camper while we were dating. We got a tent and all the extras for a wedding present from my parents. We moved to SD (from MN) and had a little guy. It was way to hot last year so no tenting. He turned 1 a couple weeks ago so we just bought our first camper. Much nicer than what I would have started in but hey why not go big right away.

-Tim
2005 Grand Surveyor 273RL
twakefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsteve View Post
overworked, underpaid, lots of kids, lots of responsibility and need breaks often.
Steve, that sounds like a report card.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #10

Young Family, starting over in a new area, Wife with a new job, I'm working the same type job but in a new facility, trying to build a house and, baby due any time now. trying to enjoy each day thats given to us as a family. more time outdoors and camping ect, than inside watching the idiot box as we call it. and NOT working so much we dont know our kids or what day it is..
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
(raising hand) hippy over here! Well, a reformed one at least.... I stopped saying 'groovy' a few years back.
Married 28 years this summer, two boys ages 25 and 9. (Stayed groovy for quite a while there you notice!) Wife and I have gone through all the toys - Snowmobiling, bikes, power-boating, and all sorts of trailers from popups to our current ridiculously large unit. About three glorious years to retirement from a cushy gov't job.... if staying home with a 12 year old is called retiring. And we freaking love camping.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #12

Another reformed "hippy" here, a son and daughter both in there mid 30's, 3 grandsons ranging from 8 to 13 yrs, and 1 grandaughter 7 going on 13. Son and his family are avid campers, daughter and her family occasional tent campers. My kids grew up camping in everything from tents, truck campers and pop ups. Grandkids all love the outdoors and camping. No better way to get to know your kids and grandkids than being in the great outdoors.

Norm

Capn Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #13

Over stressed, In a hurry, pulled apart, old at 47. Trying to enjoy my life with the one I love and relax doing the things I love to do
Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Electronics nerd. I mess with software but I don't write the stuff.
Married 31 years the hard way, all to same wife.
Bible college drop out, same bible college "Larry the Cable Guy" went to.
Every thing we own is paid for, except my pick up. Big Dave Ramesy fans.
Wife never met an instrument she couldn't play, and teaches music in a Christian Private School.
Do not yet own a trailer. When the truck is paid off, we'll probably pick up a nice used one, or order from one of those wholesalers.
2 grown kids, daughter married and gone, son graduates GA Tech soon as a civil engineer.
And ham radio operators, the whole family.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #15

Radio - I totally would have guessed that from your posts! wink, wink!
You can really hear the personalities in these forums though your messages - and of course your pictures.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 AM   #16

Started camping with the kids in a tent about 7 years ago. Got wet and cold a lot so we got a pup. Wanted a toilet so we got a HTT. Didn't want the canvas anymore so now a TT. We asked the kids why they like to camp. They said because they have our undevided attention for a weekend. Just don't do it often enough. I'm retiring from the military after 24 years (been in me whole bloomin' life). Wish I could actually retire but at 42, I still need an income for braces, weddings, college and eventual full retirement.

TOm
tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2ROO View Post
A friendly observation! New to this forum, waiting for our RV to arrive and literally stalking this forum - living vicariously through you all, I have noticed that you have some distinct profiles.

1. Retired or empty nesters that travel the country
2. Young families with kids trying to get away from video games and work.
3. Frugal, responsible and independant.

Where are the yuppies and hippies, are you here? What if you had to pigeon hole yourself, how would you discribe yourself??
Ahem! I can't help noticing that a certain thread-starter didn't pigeon-hole herself!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #18

LOL!
Pacific Northwest Family. Stressful jobs, total Yuppie. Raised staying in condo's and flying to destinations. Married an amazing, family man, taught me the joy of the quiet and our family and simplicity. Spent the last 5 years camping in Forest Service Lookouts... started looking for a pop up and ended up with a 23 foot hardslide hibrid...picking it up in 12 days!!!!!
Things we love: Our family, God, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (not in that order)
10 years married, 2 boys, 7 and 4. "smokin' hot husband!"
And at this point, I know more about RVin than he does bc of this forum.
(I bought him a sewer hose for EASTER!) Romance!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Only a true RV'er would appreciate a sewer hose as a gift....
Nice!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #20

Ok now my/our story

Name is Mike and I am 46 this August. Dad bought a 1969 ranchero GT and had a custom slide/cabover built when new and we went camping. (got to find pics of that rig as most dont belive it). When that was wore out they went with a pop up. So I have been camping since 1969 at 7 years old.

1985 to present. Was very lucky to find a wife that was also raised camping we started off in tents and one night in 1987 we were having a GREAT time in hardy AR on the sprign river when the floods came. at midnight we packed up and came home. Wife said "thats it I will never be flooded in a tent again" and also said "if I cant have my own toilet I give up" so we chilled for a bit and got back into riding motorcycles. (I got my first when 6 yrs old and not from money just a hard working family that loved us kids)

2001 We bough a new Harley and also discussed camping again when I found a 1996 playmor at a REAL DEAL. She said ok. So we had it good and then the kaka hit the rotating oscilator. I lost my job and had to make a decision.

Camper?
Bike?

Could not have both

The bike left as that was more me that her and we sold the bike paid the trailer off and never looked back.

2004 the old one was showing its age and here we are

Mike 46
Glennette 48
No two legged children
4 dogs Tara, Candy, Precious, Buddy
1 cat Sassy and she thinks she is a dog.
Camper paid for and work to camp with my family!

who am I and how did I get here?
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote