Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #1

The St. Louis RV Show

The DW and I went to the St. Louis RV Show this weekend. Going to the show helps to get us through January. We looked primarily at fifth wheels and a few motor homes.

There didn’t seem to be much variety to look at as far as floor plans go. Pretty much the same ol’, same ol’. They did have one of the new Domani’s by Carriage Inc. on display. The first time we saw a Domani was on a dealer’s lot late last summer. This is a very upscale, but short fifth wheel and the dealer quoted a price of $80,000. The model at the show had a show price of $61,000. This is really a niche fifth wheel and I will be surprised if it is still available two years from now. It’s too short (30 feet) for full timing and way too fancy for camping. It really seems to be set up for upscale entertaining.

The two best buys at the show in my opinion were a rear lounge Cougar that had two slide outs (bedroom and dinette/sofa) and had a price just over $28,000. The other good buy was a two slide out Mountaineer that had a price just over $34,000. The Mountaineer was set up for full timing with hookups for a washer/dryer combo.

The model I liked the least was a Durango by K-Z. It had a price of $61,000 but in my opinion looked like it should sell for $25,000. It just looked cheap to me. For the price they wanted, I would want some real pizzazz like the Domani offered.

One RV type I’ll never understand, that’s Class B’s. For the same amount of money of a “B” you can buy a nice Class C with three or four time the space.

The St. Louis RV Show seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. Even the booths are becoming less into RV/Camping and more into home goods/home remodeling, etc. Even Brinks Security had a booth set up at the show. There were very few campgrounds represented and I was surprised that the COE didn’t even bother with setting up a booth this year.
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #2

We also went on Saturday night and also looked at 5ers and trailers. After about looking in about 10 of each, we were saying the same thing. Nothing really new or special.

This was the first time we've attended the RV show and even though we can't say we were disappointed we were surprised at how small it seemed. We were trying to figure out why they had siding companies there? We figured they were having a hard time finding camping/rv related vendors, but siding? And why did the State Patrol have a booth? Strange we thought.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #3

Years ago the St. Louis RV Show was much, much bigger and better. Lovall's from Columbia, MO and many Illinois dealers would have space at the Convention Center. Now, there is only one dealer from Illinois and one dealer from Troy, Missouri, the rest are located right here in the St. Louis area. Surprisingly, not all of the dealers in the St. Louis area participate. I know Buff's Discount RV's doesn't participate...maybe that's why they can discount so deeply.

We use RV Shows as a way to get through winter without going crazy. To that end, we will be going to the RV Show across the river at the Belle-Clair fairgrounds in Belleville,IL. The show is Feb 8 - 10 and the cost is five bucks for an adult. This is the show that most of the Illinois dealers participate in. It certainly not nearly as big as the St. Louis show but it's a good way to see some units from different manufacturers. The only real drawback to this show is that some of the units are outside. A rainy or very cold day isn't a good day to visit.
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote