Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 605
GPS failure equals a crime solved. A silver lining. I'm not a Vet, but I too thank you for your service.
__________________
DrLewie
Flemington, NJ
Former: 2007 Cardinal 30W LE
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 958
Wow! Just wow! That is quite a hair raising story! Has anyone figured out why they stole the trailer? It sounded like they were desperate!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A growing problem. We might start seeing a return to days of old with drawbridges over moats filled with alligators.
You might consider some other deterrent critter up there in WA Mike, Gators are cold blooded and as I remember it is not too warm up where you live.

Maybe Wolverines?...............Or Snakes: Rattlers in the summer, Snow Snakes in the winter
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBigbee View Post
USAA has covered my trailers ever since I bought the first one in 2014. Last year they covered two different large claims. They've been covering my cars since 1971 and my houses since 1972. My IRA since 1985, and my life since I'm not sure when. Like someone said, I wouldn't trust anyone else. Let's see, that makes 49 years. I get my gold sticker next year!
Ya got me by a couple of years........1978..........But my USAA number is only 7 digits
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Wow! Just wow! That is quite a hair raising story! Has anyone figured out why they stole the trailer? It sounded like they were desperate!
Meth addicts, they steal to support their habit.
Sorry, it sounds like the trailer will be a total loss.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
mdstudey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rio Hondo, TX
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
You might consider some other deterrent critter up there in WA Mike, Gators are cold blooded and as I remember it is not too warm up where you live.

Maybe Wolverines?...............Or Snakes: Rattlers in the summer, Snow Snakes in the winter
No rattlers that I know of in Mikes neck of the woods. I use to live up there.



So was the hitch lock still on it? What kind was it if was still on? There has been a lot of trailers in Texas being stolen. A lot of people looking to buy new and used because of Covid.
__________________
Chuck & Denise + Pata, The Purple Princess Peanut, Ziggy the pole cat and Kazumba the parrot

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,826
TitanMike posted this awhile back. These guys must be practicing for an event like this in their area. Reading the original post, all I could picture was the trailer race!

There is a saying, "being a brick shy of a load". These thieves apparently lost the whole load-or, maybe they never had a brick to start with.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
TitanMike posted this awhile back. These guys must be practicing for an event like this in their area. Reading the original post, all I could picture was the trailer race!

There is a saying, "being a brick shy of a load". These thieves apparently lost the whole load-or, maybe they never had a brick to start with.
Now we know what happens to abandoned, impounded and towed RV's.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hotsprings, Ar
Posts: 210
Seriously stay out of the camper untill chemical testing for meth/fentanyl etc. They were probably going to use it as a meth lab. If contaminated it would probably cost more to decomantate/clean and repair than replacement. This stuff is dangerous and fentanyl in very small amounts is deadly. Do not want to scare you but you need to know. I used to be a Deputy Sheriff with some experience but not a expert. My 2 cents.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 328ts
2015 Fiat 500 Toad
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 375
WOW !

You're taking it a lot better than I would. If that had happened to me I would insist they total it and buy a new one.
Good luck!
__________________
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS
2014 Coachmen Apex 215RBK

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #31
Can you run 3800 fps?
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 114
Oh crap, I own that same trailer. I can picture all the damage in my head! Time to start sleeping with one eye open again.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Mooresville,NC
Posts: 31
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Im thinking my Hensley hitch might just cause thieves to move on.
I've moved on from my Hensley Hitch! Great hitch but such a pain. It convinced me to buy a motorhome!

Carol & Ziggy (min.poodle)
Forrester 2251SLE
cmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
You're taking it a lot better than I would. If that had happened to me I would insist they total it and buy a new one.
Good luck!
Leave a box with BBQ Lighter Fluid and a box of wooden matches on the counter with a note saying "If you steal and abandon this "Camper" before you leave please burn it. Use ALL the lighter fluid spread well throughout. Thank You".


A lot of stolen vehicles are burned on remote roads around here and since all that's left is a hulk, no issues with insurance "totalling" it.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
USAA Covers your trailer? I tried to get them to cover mine a few years back and they partnered with Progressive so my 5th wheel insurance is with Progressive.
From what I understand now, they will insure Travel trailers but Motor Homes go thru progressive.
__________________
2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab RST 4wd
2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS
Stolen and Totaled-2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 263RLS
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Seriously stay out of the camper untill chemical testing for meth/fentanyl etc. They were probably going to use it as a meth lab. If contaminated it would probably cost more to decomantate/clean and repair than replacement. This stuff is dangerous and fentanyl in very small amounts is deadly. Do not want to scare you but you need to know. I used to be a Deputy Sheriff with some experience but not a expert. My 2 cents.
As soon as I saw it I told wife to get out. Notified Sheriff and they will take care of it.
__________________
2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab RST 4wd
2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS
Stolen and Totaled-2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 263RLS
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
So was the hitch lock still on it? What kind was it if was still on? There has been a lot of trailers in Texas being stolen. A lot of people looking to buy new and used because of Covid.
It was a Master Lock Universal Trailer Coupler Lock, Model# 389DAT. No where to be found. Don't know what happened to it. Was reading on internet that they can just use the chains to haul it away. When we get the new one there will be a 6 foot pipe cemented in the ground and chain from it around the axles and wheels plus a new hitch lock .
__________________
2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab RST 4wd
2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS
Stolen and Totaled-2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 263RLS
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
We are going over to get all our stuff out it and will take more pics. The first ones were in bright sunlight and don't do justice to the side dents and scratches. If the Sheriff haven't cleaned it up yet, we'll have to wait. We're at that age where it's best to take everything laughing. Less stress. Plus only went out in it 4 times. For us going from a 5th wheel w/4 slides down to 26' trailer we weren't accustomed to the smaller size yet.
__________________
2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab RST 4wd
2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS
Stolen and Totaled-2020 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 263RLS
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
U.S.ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
USAA Covers your trailer? I tried to get them to cover mine a few years back and they partnered with Progressive so my 5th wheel insurance is with Progressive.
I think it depends on your home state. All states are not covered by USAA.

Thanks for your Service!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookumdanno View Post
It was a Master Lock Universal Trailer Coupler Lock, Model# 389DAT. No where to be found. Don't know what happened to it. Was reading on internet that they can just use the chains to haul it away. When we get the new one there will be a 6 foot pipe cemented in the ground and chain from it around the axles and wheels plus a new hitch lock .
I suggest you put that chain and post at the front. Otherwise, they'll just rip the axles off when they try to drive away.
__________________
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew EB RWD Lariat MaxTow
RV: 2020 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2507S
On order: 2022 Ford F-150 SCrew EB 4WD XLT HDPP. It might be 2023 before we see it.


chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 220
USAA also referred me to Progressive for a “travel trailer” policy. As it was explained to me, the travel trailer would be an extension of my auto policy with USAA, but Progressive would offer an actual RV policy, hence the partnership.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.