Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #61

Well in the continuing saga, we found out yesterday what the bill was for recovery and towing back to storage yard......$6500.00. ������ Now it has to be towed to the dealer. Fingers crossed on what happens next.
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #62
Citrus County, Fl.

Bookumdanno...... On the bright side, it looks like the China Bombs held up well.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #63

I was in doubt of a total until I heard the wrecker fee... assuming that is part of the claim.

FWIW I had a trailer totaled. It was not as fun as it sounded originally. Insurance paid fairly, but the improvements I had made were not "covered" as one might think. I took off my EMS and a few other things. I lost my converter and some other stuff... plus my wife made me wait to get another.

I stole 2 things from the salvaged unit... I sole an LP bottle and the outdoor kitchen reefer. I put another one in that I had.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it goes as you wish.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #64

Stolen Camper Vol 2

Well, it's been awhile but here's the latest. We were told by insurance that 2 inspections were to be done done. We received a copy of the first report and it was for $8,477.42 and 35 hours work. There was no indication that the frame or the roof had been inspected. The power in cable had been dragged down the road and was tore up. No mention. The tongue cable was torn apart and wires were crimp connected..no mention of that. We then received the 2nd report. It was exactly the same as the first, down to the penny. My wife blew her stack. She got on the phone and email the missing items and our concern. They would look into it and if there were other charges an update would be turned in. We then found out they sent a check to the shop for the $8k amount, but I need to endorse it. Finally got a call back from the 2nd inspector and after informing him of what the camper went thru during theft and recovery and having him look at the pictures we submitted. He said he'd get with the shop inspector. When he called back he said yes the front frame was bent and the estimate would have to closer to $17k+. He told them not to order any parts and don't cash the check. Now we have to wait for that info to be sent to insurance. At the new estimate we're sure it will be totaled. Especially with the $7k towing and recovery bill. Thanks to my Wife's making sure they were aware of this now instead of waiting several months down the road and them discovering a bent frame after spending the 1st check and doing repairs.
WD4LTO
Old 07-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #65

Three cheers for your wife. That's one smart and determined lady.

It's a good thing they made the check out so that you'd have to endorse it. Someone obviously wasn't doing their job to give you that estimate.

Looking forward to a future post where you get your new rig.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:25 AM   #66

The check was a settlement trick.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #67

Thanks for the update, Great job by DW ,Like already said ,Now just waiting to here about the new one.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #68
Censored Member

Typical scam run by the insurance industry.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #69
PhD, Common Sense

Two estimates from two sources found the exact same problems, had the exact same flaws, and were for the exact same amount?

Occam’s razor says that there was collusion.

Eyewitness testimony that is identical is suspect. Cops and lawyers expect differences in such testimony. If those differences exist, the testimony is considered more reliable.

I expect similar differences in two estimates in order to consider them credible.

Oh, yeah, and the check? Totally trying to get you to sign off on a settlement amount. What insurance company tried to pull this one off?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #70
Mopar Guy

most likely the insurance company called 2 adjustment people, who relied on the in house guy at the body shop to do the estimate. The body shop has a vested interest in hiding the damage so that they get the work.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #71
PhD, Common Sense

IOW, the two estimates were really one estimate, presented as two. Same effect as collusion, just a different method—and possibly laziness as opposed to nefariousness.

This is still not an insurance company I ever want to do business with.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #72

I don't know why the insurance company's cant do it right the first time. We all pay high rates and should have great customer service but we don't. I owned a body shop for many years and that was always the hardest part of my job was dealing with insurance company's.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #73
PhD, Common Sense

We had a claim for our camper when it was broken into while in storage. We were very happy with how the insurance company handled the claim.

Just a few months ago, we had a windstorm that did major roof damage and destroyed the prettiest tree in town. We were very happy with how the insurance company handled the claim.

Same company: Nationwide.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #74

Most Insurance companies are trying to make a profit. The new system is to stop using in house adjuster to inspect losses. I worked for a major carrier for 40 yrs and with management now using Sig Sigma trained managers. They are no longer hiring body shop experienced adjuster to inspect losses. They are using fresh college grads with only limited training so that they can lower starting salaries. They have also lower the amount of vacation by 2 weeks for the senior adjuster there so they are starting to leave. I think the insurance companies new management does not think highly of technical train adjuster or at least wanting to pay that group to stay around so that salaries in general are lower overall. This is causing the issues you see with insurance claims now. but you are right you have to look at the settlement closely to make sure who ever looked at your claim handled it properly
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #75
Site Team

Many insurance companies use contract adjusters that work for any company and cover a geographical area. More than likely the same subcontractor was hired to do both inspections and simply copied the previous one. Neither insurance company would know. They also count on customers wanting a quick resolution and accepting the first offer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many insurance companies use contract adjusters that work for any company and cover a geographical area. More than likely the same subcontractor was hired to do both inspections and simply copied the previous one. Neither insurance company would know. They also count on customers wanting a quick resolution and accepting the first offer.
The 2 they used, 1 was a contract company and the other was the dealership inspector. What looks like might have happened was everyone assumed the other knew all the facts. Which turns out the info was there and nobody saw it. It was photos by us and info about the theft and recovery that was turned into insurance. It's in the file, but I'm not sure the dealership inspector saw it.
WD4LTO
Old 07-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Two estimates from two sources found the exact same problems, had the exact same flaws, and were for the exact same amount?

Exactly what we thought

Occam’s razor says that there was collusion.
Not sure it was collusion, but laziness

Eyewitness testimony that is identical is suspect. Cops and lawyers expect differences in such testimony. If those differences exist, the testimony is considered more reliable.

I expect similar differences in two estimates in order to consider them credible.

Oh, yeah, and the check? Totally trying to get you to sign off on a settlement amount. What insurance company tried to pull this one off?
Not a sign off but if they had gone ahead with these repairs down the road a couple of months the insurance would have to total it and lost the first check
WD4LTO
Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #78

When my wife talked to the contract company inspector and told him everything we knew of the camper, he looked in the files and said wow he never saw that. So either he consider info from us as not superior to the dealership inspector or he is lazy. It is now in the hands of the insurance company. He can't total it but he said usually if the frame is bent it's totaled.

Now if it's totaled can we take things off it??? Like the 30 lb. propane tanks, the battery etc.
WD4LTO
Old 07-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #79

Quote:

Now if it's totaled can we take things off it??? Like the 30 lb. propane tanks, the battery etc.
Usually not. The amount of your award would be based on those items being part of the unit that is totaled. I know with cars they even write down the ID numbers from the tires to be sure no one swaps them out for junk tires.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #80

Normally you can only remove your personal possessions but nothing that is considered part of the trailer or attached unless you buy it back from the insurance company.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper