Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

Thin Shade crap

I purchased an off brand set of thin shades for my TT. They were reasonably priced at $24 each. Install was a pain because of the screen door. Using them was equally as painful because you have to open the door, separate the screen door, climb down on the steps and then then reach up to pull the shade down. I'm sure that a taller person would have an easier time but nonetheless, it is still not convenient to have to do all of that to use the shades.

I stored my TT and came back a week later and both shades warped where they latch on inside the window. I can only assume that it was from the heat that was generated between the window and the black shade fabric. This rendered them unusable. I decided to buy the Lippert ones and paid $48 each! When I opened the package I was immediately pissed off because the name brand one was 99.5% identical to the off brand one I previously purchased. The only difference was the thickness of the string that is used to suspend the shade fabric, the Lippert string was thicker.

Has anyone had the same problem with their Thin Shades?
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

Door Shade

Hello, I bought this one for my door window. It's easy to use and has held up really well for three years now. https://www.rossrvinnovations.info/window-shade/ The magnets stay on your screen door, and you can roll up the shade when not in use. Check out the website on what it looks installed. Hope this helps...
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

They also make an in-window shade. You have to replace the entire door window. We've had ours for a few years now and it still works great. You still need to open the door and move the screen door to move it up and down. Some folks install it upside down, so you can peek over it to see outside.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...6877149&sr=8-5

Nor sure what camper you have, but it fits most standard TT doors.

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

My OEM thin shade is a piece of crap we never use, always leave it UP, because when you put it down, then try to put back up, it does not 'accordian' fold properly and gets all goofed up like a poorly folded map.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
My OEM thin shade is a piece of crap we never use, always leave it UP, because when you put it down, then try to put back up, it does not 'accordian' fold properly and gets all goofed up like a poorly folded map.
I had the same problem with the thin shades. Both of them did the same thing when you rolled them up. I thought it was just me.

I wish the thin shades had the same sturdiness that the other push up blinds have in my TT. My TT has a sky light with a shade. The shade is very sturdy. I thought the Thin Shade from Lippert would have been the same.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I had the same problem with the thin shades. Both of them did the same thing when you rolled them up. I thought it was just me.

I wish the thin shades had the same sturdiness that the other push up blinds have in my TT. My TT has a sky light with a shade. The shade is very sturdy. I thought the Thin Shade from Lippert would have been the same.
And I thought it was just ME!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
They also make an in-window shade. You have to replace the entire door window. We've had ours for a few years now and it still works great. You still need to open the door and move the screen door to move it up and down. Some folks install it upside down, so you can peek over it to see outside.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...6877149&sr=8-5

Nor sure what camper you have, but it fits most standard TT doors.

The doors are already outfitted with the frame. It is not the same as the one you posted. All you have to do is install the thin shade.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #8

I just realized that its called a Slim shade and not a Thin shade. lol
Old 07-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #9

Have been happy with the AP products shade so far. Still the hassle of stepping out to get between the screen door and regular door to operate, but stays open till evening. Some have found a work around with a magnetic screen to replace the upper screen in the screen door. Think the AP runs around $65 to $75, wasn't a bad install, a little PIA to undo the clips on the oem interior section of the door window. Screws are used on the new unit. I ended breaking a couple clips on the oem, but don't intend to go back. Kept the frosted glass though as an emergency replacement.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote