Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Things to check before going cross country

We’re headed on a long trip this summer to Colorado and want to be ready. Below is what I plan on checking/replacing before we go.

Trailer: (will be 5 years old and 8k miles when we depart)
New tires - probably going with maxxis
Check breaks
Check/repack bearings
Clean and grease hitch
General inspection of all running gear and everything

Truck (65k miles at departure)
Oil change
Check breaks
Check tires
Check all fluids

Am I missing anything? Truck and trailer are both in great shape.

We’ve done 1 long trip before but the trailer was only 2 years old and had no issues.

We have 3-4 trips planned before we go and all are local so will be checking all functionality of everything before we depart
Four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four22 View Post
We’re headed on a long trip this summer to Colorado and want to be ready. Below is what I plan on checking/replacing before we go.

Check breaks
Check/repack bearings
Clean and grease hitch

Oil change
Check breaks
Check tires
Check all fluids

We’ve done 1 long trip before but the trailer was only 2 years old and had no issues.

We have 3-4 trips planned before we go and all are local so will be checking all functionality of everything before we depart

I'd be sure to check the brakes. You don't want any breaks.

Make sure you bring a credit card and even notify your card issuer that you will be traveling to the various states along the way.

My late wife always told me when I asked her if I forgot anything that "if we forgot it we can buy it along the road" (thus my reference to credit card).

You've covered the big items in your post. I like to take my Truck to the dealer for an oil change and inspection just before hitting the road. They're a lot better on the "inspection" than a Quick Lube and since they have it up in the air it's a lot easier for them to inspect all the undercarriage/chassis parts.

My long trips average 4,000-5,000 miles so I essentially "wear out" an oil change so I like to start fresh.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
waybeck2018

[QUOTE=Four22;2488010]We’re headed on a long trip this summer to West Coast states and states in between. and want to be ready. Below is what I plan on checking/replacing before we go.

Trailer: (will be 3 years old and 6k miles when we depart)
New tires - probably going with Goodyear Endurance
Check brakes
Check/repack bearings - Plan to have dealer do this
Clean and grease hitch

Truck (109k miles at departure)
Oil change
Check brakes
Check tires (less than 1K miles on them)
Check all fluids

We’ve done 4 long trip before ( 2k -5K round trip)but the trailer was only1 years old and had no issues.

I carry both a mushroom compressor for pre-day travel inflation checks and Two hand held 18V inflation devices.

FOUR 22: This is a great reminder tool and thanks for your original post. I am sure others will add to the list over time. We plan to leave in May and get to the 9 states we have not yet camped in.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #4

I’m kinda torn between Goodyear’s and maxxis tire. Still researching but ones probably as good as the other
Old 01-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Torque all the lug nuts trailer and tow vehicle before you leave and at the first fuel stop or first campground.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:

Check breaks
Check/repack bearings
Clean and grease hitch

Oil change
Check breaks
Check tires
Check all fluids

Check your Spare tires on both (truck/Trailer) and not just the pressure make sure you can dismount them with breaking your back. I recall my spare for my truck under the bed of it when it was only a few years old when I had to use it when I got a flat traveling about 600 miles from home. It was hot and humid out and though I was a lot younger then it was a bear to lower down and unmount. From then on I made sure several times a year I lowered it and made sure it was oiled. The trailer tire shouldn't be an issue but it's always good to check it out just in case. Also not sure if you have AAA, Good Sam or perhaps nothing for road service not just on the Truck but the Trailer, if you do make sure you have all your information. Oh yeah, make sure you have a good checkoff list of everything you need especially if anyone has meds. Always take more than you'll need just in case. Start everything up in the TT days before you leave to make sure it's all operating. And one last thing.... have a great time
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #7

A good list. I would add some tools, firestarter, shovel, binoculars, headlamps, stuff like that. Owner's manuals for the trailer. Campground directory. I like to bring a library and do some serious reading.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Add a toolbox with standard items like pliers, screwdriver, wrenches and so on. Also add wire and fittings, tape, fuses (look inside your converter to see what you have. Check your trailer plumbing fittings and get whatever you might need to do a simple repair, i.e. plex if that is what you have, perhaps a set of plex pliers. Throw in some epoxy, replacement screws, washers, anything else for minor repairs.

I went with Maxxis four years ago and haven't had a problem. I went up a load level from C to D on same wheel and went up in air pressure from 50 to 60. In my case the C level tires were maxed out rating wise so going to next level is now much under the max rating of the D level. Also, when purchasing new tires check the DOT numbers stamped on the tire to find the date the tire was manufactured. I think a tire within 6-8 months is reasonable, maybe even a little older but certainly you don't want purchase any older than 12 months. One shop tried to sell me new tires that were actually four years old.

Have fun, and enjoy your time.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

I would add duct tape!!! Also if the truck has that many miles I would change the trans fluid, brake fluid and the coolant as they degrade over time and miles.
The duct tape came in very handy when my daughters motorhome's vent cover was hit with large hail during a storm and shattered!!
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTED View Post
I would add duct tape!!! Also if the truck has that many miles I would change the trans fluid, brake fluid and the coolant as they degrade over time and miles.
The duct tape came in very handy when my daughters motorhome's vent cover was hit with large hail during a storm and shattered!!
X2 on the transmission fluid and coolant. On my SUVs, changing those items has always been at 1/2 the normal interval because towing in Colorado is considered "severe service".

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Welder View Post
Torque all the lug nuts trailer and tow vehicle before you leave and at the first fuel stop or first campground.
Assuming aluminum wheels on the trailer, I'd actually recommend this more often. Whenever I have a tire removed from the trailer, I stop between 40-50 miles and torque all of the lug nuts.

I repeat that every 40-50 miles until any individual lug nut stops tightening.

I've had to stop up to 3 times.

I've had friends lose wheels (3 so far) from not doing this.

Truck tires have never been an issue since they're steel wheels. But it doesn't hurt to hit them with the torque wrench since it's out.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
I’m kinda torn between Goodyear’s and maxxis tire. Still researching but ones probably as good as the other
Flip a coin. The Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis m8008 are both great tires.

I would tip my hat to the Endurance tires because they have a speed rating molded on them. Without the speed rating, the Maxxis are supposed to max out at 65 mph.

Not that I really want to go faster than 65, I just don't like being quite so close to the red-line when I'm running 62-64mph.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #13

If your going to mess with brakes and bearings. Go for a half hour drive then jack it back up and rechecked wheel hub play and such prior to a long trip.

One thing people forget is paper work.

For me I always have copies insurance and registration for the truck and the trailer. I also keep copies of Missouri state law that explains why I only have one plate and why it has to be on the front. Sounds stupid but I’ve been pulled over and ticketed for no rear plate when our of state. Even with the paperwork I have received a ticket before but the paper work sure helps.

I also carry a real map or map book that I mark all my planned stops on before I leave. I have lost cell service and missed a turn and it hen couldn’t find my destination on the gps.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:53 AM   #14

Not mechanical but if you have pets make sure you have their vaccination information, I have mine printed out and in a binder, but I'm an organizing fool!
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #15

All good suggestions. Thanks!!!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #16

TPMS????
Old 01-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #17

X2 on upgrading the load rating and speed rating on your tires. You can now get tires rated for 88 mph instead of the old 65. Once I did this on all of my trailers, I quit getting blowouts. I've had several blowouts driving 65 mph on hot days in AZ, back when I had 65 mph tires.

I carry a ViAir air compressor. Works better than anything else I've used. I also carry a battery jumper. I boondock, and having a dead battery in the middle of nowhere is no fun.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #18

TPMS X2. One thing to add to your truck maintenance list above would be a differential fluid change. Use a good synthetic gear lube, (at whatever viscosity your manual calls for). Another helpful item is a rearview camera setup if you don't already have one. Last would be for you to have plenty of battery capability. Many of the nicer parks in Colorado do not have hookups and it would be a shame for you to miss some of the better places because you don't have the ability to boondock.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #19

You indicate you've done enough traveling that you have your basics down. I like your list and just want to reinforce the fluid checks and changes. I got the mileage on your pickup, but not the year, so have your mechanic check the water pump and belts. My old Tundra developed a leak from sitting too long (I was told) even tho the miles were not high. Our mechanic did a full inspection before we left as a result of that find. Replaced all the coolant before touring the Rocky Mtn state and glad for it.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
TPMS????
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check