Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

Things to do for short term storage?

We'll be taking the TT out this weekend again, meaning in a month and half of ownership this will be our 3rd trip. In between trips, which I plan to do once a month (no plan to winterize as I will go south between Nov/Apr), what things/actions do you suggest for short term storage?

I do the following:
- clear out black tank using the BT flush; add some water and throw a couple of those enzymes down the toilet.
- flush the hot water tank after it's cooled. I don't unplug the bottom plug though, just the pressure relief valve and let the water drip out, also would let the faucet hot/cold water run until nothing comes out.
- make sure the gray tank is as empty as possible.
- add water stabilizer to fresh water tank.

Any other suggestions for relatively short term storage?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

Don't overthink this. Short term storage I basically just park it.

Black tank was dumped at the last campsite. Before leaving that site I put a couple of gallons of water, some Odorlos, and enzymes in it and it's good to go. Flushing will negate the Odorlos which continues to allow the enzymes to digest any waste.

I only drain the water heater if I've been on well water that I can taste. Beware of pulling the pressure release valve as it's not designed for this purpose and it's possible it will not reset. If you want to drain it pull the anode and let it glug out. (Power off of course.)

Grey water tank is literally always empty. Just open the valve and leave it open. It can drain onto your driveway or lawn. Just close it before hitting the road.

"Stabilizer" in drinking water? Just drain it. Annual sanitation and city water keeps it fine.

Before the next camping trip I close any the opened valves, fill the freshwater tank, and fill the water heater and the plumbing system with city water via the white hose to the house. Let it run a few minutes and let it run out the grey tank valve. I turn the water heater on the night before so we have hot water on the road as needed.

-- Chuck
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

A few ant traps places around the camper, inside and in storage compartments.

Maybe a couple of those gel bead smelly good things to help freshen up the air.

A dehumidifier pad to help with any excess moisture that might come about. (High humidity days)

Shades pulled down to help keep the interior from getting too hot and lots of sun.

Tire shades/covers on all of the tires.

Did your 19bhle come with the factory supplied Solera Slide Topper Prep for your slide out? I noticed mine did and I’m planning on getting an awning for it but in the meantime while sitting in the driveway I retract the slide so it doesn’t get a beating from the weather and the birds.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post

Did your 19bhle come with the factory supplied Solera Slide Topper Prep for your slide out? I noticed mine did and I’m planning on getting an awning for it but in the meantime while sitting in the driveway I retract the slide so it doesn’t get a beating from the weather and the birds.
Yes it's prepped but I have not bought the awning for the slide out yet. I think it's the 7' version, $330 on Amazon.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Disconnect the battery if not connected to shore power. Parasitic draws will kill the battery fairly quickly.

I like to set my trailer to be somewhat unlevel to insure rain gets off the roof quickly.

My trailer is stored outside at what I consider a secure location. For longer term storage, I have a 2 watt solar cell that I use to maintain the battery at 100%. I use a little Coleman that cost me ~$15. I use a string to hang it on top of my propane tanks pointing almost straight up. Three years old and still works perfectly. My reading indicates that batteries do self discharge and that they discharge faster in warm weather. https://www.menards.com/main/electri...6676068&ipos=3
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage