Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

Talking Things we learned on our 2nd trip!

1. Other drivers suck a LOT.
  2. We REALLY need to learn to back up!
  3. They should put flags on those little two-foot tall wooden posts they use to mark campsites.
  4. The insurance deductible to fix our truck is $100.
  5. The material that the black tank discharge pipe is made of is TOUGH! (Thank GOD!)
  6. One set of leveling blocks is not enough.
  7. Running out of fresh water will happen before you run out of gray and black tank space…which is simple math but somehow escaped me.
  8. We are capable of emptying a 45 gallon water tank in a weekend even when we’re trying to be conservative.
  9. A good checklist for set-up and break-down really does help. We plan to laminate ours.
  10. You cannot check your hitch connection enough times!
  11. There’s a reason they use “safety pins” to hold your sway bars onto the hitch.
  12. Two people + close quarters = Air Freshener. (What is the deal with a 3” gaps top and bottom on the bathroom doors anyway?)
  13. Black tank flush is AWESOME.
  14. Sewer hoses still don’t fit in the bumper no matter how many times people keep telling me they do!
  15. 3 inch memory foam toppers RULE!
  16. A checklist of things to take with you might be a good idea.
  17. Dollar General is open until 10 p.m. on Fridays.
I'm pretty sure we'll get the hang of this eventually.

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

When it comes to #2......

You’re not the only ones, but it does make for great entertainment when you’ve picked a spot so off the beaten path, there’s no television reception.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Broken Toe

RE. Item #2:

My standard advice is;

Go to a big, unused parking lot for backing practice. For example: I have a school campus a mile away. On the weekends there is a huge, empty lot that is perfect for backing practice.

Practice backing in a straight line. Then around corners. Take a couple cones (if you can get them) or even empty plastic trash cans to use for backing around. Get used to using your mirrors and trusting them. You have to get to the point that backing requires no thought like "I need to turn the wheel this way to go that way". It should be automatic, and the only way to build that "muscle memory" is practice, practice, practice.

20 minutes isnt enough. You should burn 2 or so hours, just backing. Get used to how your camper cuts. How jack-knifed you can be and still catch it without having to drive forward. Occasionally, get out and look at your tire scrubs on the pavement. Learn where your camper was going.

Most people make the mistake of turning too late, then too much when backing a trailer. Work on your timing. Use your trash cans or cones to define a 'campsite' and practice backing in from 90 degrees left and right.

I changed my hitch to a ProPride and my trailer tracks completely differently now. I needed to get back to the parking lot for a hour just to get comfortable with how my setup handles now. Nobody is born an expert at backing. We all need practice.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

You left out #18...."You'll never stop learning new things."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

You got to learn that #2 problem before you attend a rally. Some rally members have been known to rate your backing skills like it is some sort of a game. If backing is still too hard to learn then you will have to arrive at most campgrounds on Thursday. Less people to show off to.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
RE. Item #2:

My standard advice is;

Go to a big, unused parking lot for backing practice. For example: I have a school campus a mile away. On the weekends there is a huge, empty lot that is perfect for backing practice.
The day we got this trailer, that's exactly what we did. We are lucky to live in the state capital, so on weekends, there are BIG empty parking lots around various state buildings. But, we didn't spend nearly enough time.

I only tried once. Husband usually does the driving. But I know we BOTH have to figure this out. We've already discussed that we have to try again, and spend a lot of time doing it. Our truck even has trailer backup assist! But we haven't set it up yet. So yeah...your standard advice is good advice. We really need to practice. REALLY...and both of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
You left out #18...."You'll never stop learning new things."
I expect that's very true.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
You got to learn that #2 problem before you attend a rally. Some rally members have been known to rate your backing skills like it is some sort of a game. If backing is still too hard to learn then you will have to arrive at most campgrounds on Thursday. Less people to show off to.
I've seen people that would have trouble getting their TT on a "Pull Through" site...and those were "Seasoned Veterans."
Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

With practice you can get #8 down to 20 gallons or less for two adults on a 2 night stay. "Navy showers" use less than 2 gallons. Rinse dishes with a slow trickle. Liquid waste in the toilet only requires a fast, short push of the flush pedal.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Always Learning

I have a couple of posts/videos that may help:

1) Backing:
https://learntorv.com/tips-and-tricks-to-backing-up/

2) More on backing... not sure if it'll help- but my new dashcam toy captured audio of my wife and I backing. She is the spotter and basically parks the trailer by voice. My job is to do what she tells me.

3) Sewer hose, skip the bumper and make vinyl storage tubes:
Old 09-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #10

You might want to check out the RV Checklist app from Adventure Treks. Fully customizable, and you can use it from phone, tablet or laptop (so no laminating).

We love it, and you can even put your grocery list in there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
Liquid waste in the toilet only requires a fast, short push of the flush pedal.
I think that may be a big part of the problem. Husband likes cold showers - sick little monkey - so he doesn't wait for the warm like I do. I'm sure he uses less than me there. Dishes were barely any water this trip. We did use over a gallon for coffee. LOL

Old 09-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
  1. Other drivers suck a LOT.
  2. We REALLY need to learn to back up!
  3. They should put flags on those little two-foot tall wooden posts they use to mark campsites.
  4. The insurance deductible to fix our truck is $100.
  5. The material that the black tank discharge pipe is made of is TOUGH! (Thank GOD!)
  6. One set of leveling blocks is not enough.
  7. Running out of fresh water will happen before you run out of gray and black tank space…which is simple math but somehow escaped me.
  8. We are capable of emptying a 45 gallon water tank in a weekend even when we’re trying to be conservative.
  9. A good checklist for set-up and break-down really does help. We plan to laminate ours.
  10. You cannot check your hitch connection enough times!
  11. There’s a reason they use “safety pins” to hold your sway bars onto the hitch.
  12. Two people + close quarters = Air Freshener. (What is the deal with a 3” gaps top and bottom on the bathroom doors anyway?)
  13. Black tank flush is AWESOME.
  14. Sewer hoses still don’t fit in the bumper no matter how many times people keep telling me they do!
  15. 3 inch memory foam toppers RULE!
  16. A checklist of things to take with you might be a good idea.
  17. Dollar General is open until 10 p.m. on Fridays.
I'm pretty sure we'll get the hang of this eventually.

My wife even made a pillow that says "Sorry for what I said while we were parking the camper"
We've gotten better and certainly more patient.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

#8 ? I was next to a camper last year that was pouring in about 40 gals twice day for 2 days and as many trips to dump station with Tote. 4-people.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
Gold Tee Box

"Other drivers suck a LOT."

I agree!

Slow down and let the hot rods and crazy suicidal truckers go...I'm the guy out there with a TT, going 63 mph and enjoying the ride. 400 miles or so a day is a good plan. Low stress!

And when I am not towing, I am the guy out there giving you a break and not cutting you off... drive with aloha!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
My wife even made a pillow that says "Sorry for what I said while we were parking the camper"
We've gotten better and certainly more patient.
I was pretty proud of how calmly I told my husband that maybe he should just go around the @%#&ing circle again and start over.

It's not like I'd have done any better. The important thing is, he still loves me.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #16

Mrs. Shockley is the best!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Mrs. Shockley is the best!
If he reads this...he may possibly have a different perspective on how calm I was.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #18

Laughed at #12. Exactly why I insisted on a rear bath model. Gaps at the bottom and top of bathroom door won’t cut it when you live with someone who can smell a fart before it happens. We may still need to upgrade the bath fan.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
#8 ? I was next to a camper last year that was pouring in about 40 gals twice day for 2 days and as many trips to dump station with Tote. 4-people.
Crap. That was us. We run laundry even when we aren't on sewer.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
I was pretty proud of how calmly I told my husband that maybe he should just go around the @%#&ing circle again and start over.
Actually, I've done that. Sometimes you just need to reposition the trailer and going around the circle is easier.

Sounds like you've learned a lot and you'll be pros in no time.