Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #4261
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
So what do you TT members do when you reserve a spot and travel hundreds of miles only to find the last few sites left are too short and have no sewer?
Sewer is not a guarantee- some parks you go into knowing you will likely get sewer, others are a maybe you'll get sewer, others are probably not, and a few are even definitely not (or a minor miracle if you do). One of the parks here in the east has a loaner sewer tote. Our west, none had the loaner and you were expected to deal with no sewer.

As for a site not fitting, in my short years- I've only read of a small handful of times that this happened. Generally, your options are to take boondocking in the parking lot/overflow sites. Hershey's TT park has the nicest setup for that- decent lot with water hookups. Others are literally just a dirt parking area. If it's hot or you're not setup to boondock, you're SOL. But it's pretty rare when this happens.

As mentioned, I do know that some parks will switch to assigned sites or "holding" big rig friendly sites to help those of us with the bigger units. Circle M in PA parked took people to specific last year for Memorial Day. Russian River TT in CA put black bags over pedestals and told us that they were dedicated to big rigs. A long time ago, I called Harborview in VA that I was going to be arriving late on Friday for a July 4th, they put cones into a big rig site for me to keep others from taking it. A little kindness goes a long way.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #4262

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Looking at the arms, it's a power lift. Just drive on and then raise.
Blue Oxx makes those and they ain't cheap. I sold one to a friend of mine and by the time he had everything installed he had close to ten big ones in it. I guess if you got it you must use it.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #4263

Quote:
Doesn't sound too accommodating unless you have time, (retired or full time) have friends willing to stake claim to the sites, or been there before to know what's good and what's bad. None of those things pertain to us, at least right now. We go places we've never been, usually with others that haven't been either and no way to get there on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Just doesn't seem like a system that benefits most... just some.
I agree and that's probably why TPWD is supposedly changing it. With that being said, MOST of the Texas State Parks are broken down by loops and you could reserve for a specific loop- which mitigated that risk most of the time since certain loops had larger sites and others smaller- and this was typically noted. But, there are some parks that have VERY different sizes and layouts (lots of trees limiting slideouts for example) of sites within the same loop.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #4264
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sewer is not a guarantee- some parks you go into knowing you will likely get sewer, others are a maybe you'll get sewer, others are probably not, and a few are even definitely not (or a minor miracle if you do). One of the parks here in the east has a loaner sewer tote. Our west, none had the loaner and you were expected to deal with no sewer.

As for a site not fitting, in my short years- I've only read of a small handful of times that this happened. Generally, your options are to take boondocking in the parking lot/overflow sites. Hershey's TT park has the nicest setup for that- decent lot with water hookups. Others are literally just a dirt parking area. If it's hot or you're not setup to boondock, you're SOL. But it's pretty rare when this happens.

As mentioned, I do know that some parks will switch to assigned sites or "holding" big rig friendly sites to help those of us with the bigger units. Circle M in PA parked took people to specific last year for Memorial Day. Russian River TT in CA put black bags over pedestals and told us that they were dedicated to big rigs. A long time ago, I called Harborview in VA that I was going to be arriving late on Friday for a July 4th, they put cones into a big rig site for me to keep others from taking it. A little kindness goes a long way.
Harbor view was where they assigned a site to us when we arrived.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #4265
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Thanks Doug,
Does the TT web site (or literature) break down pretty well what each park has to offer (site wise) so you are not arriving blind?

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #4266
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Harbor view was where they assigned a site to us when we arrived.
I can believe it. They've always been a quirky little park. When they held the spot for us, that was back in 2012 or 2013. I know in 2014 or 2015, they had the manager from hell- screaming at people and causing a big fuss. By 2016, she got the boot and the new lady who came in was friendly to us. But we only stayed there for a short stay in early April- I think it was one of our Tuesday to Saturday stays as we were making our way north.

I'm surprised they could turn people away. I've never delved into my contract deep enough to verify or debunk it, but people claim that you should be able to show up at any TT park unannounced and they give you a place to stay. At Harborview, their parking lot is big enough that they could definitely house a couple of unexpected member rigs in it.

I liked it there- I know others have mixed feelings.

What I don't like is the Harry P. Nice bridge that crosses the Potomac between MD & VA on 301 that I take to get there. That thing is neither hairy nor nice!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #4267

Some RV’s we saw in NZ near Tongariro National Park. And a typical Jucy rental we saw parked in Auckland. Saw many Jucy rentals from small Class B mini vans to this size Class C. ✌️
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5839.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	162422Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	162423

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #4268
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks Doug,
Does the TT web site (or literature) break down pretty well what each park has to offer (site wise) so you are not arriving blind?
Mostly arriving blind. It's inconsistently shared. For Bend, it's hidden on their policies page but for Chehalis where we didn't get sewer (and had heard to not expect it), it's sort of shown on their campground map that there are limited sewer sites.

But honestly, I've never been surprised as I always research the parks I go to ahead of time. It's something that's shared via word of mouth and review sites and whatnot.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #4269
Always Learning

And, my apologies to those following along at home- didn't mean to derail the thread quite so much!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #4270
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Mostly arriving blind. It's inconsistently shared. For Bend, it's hidden on their policies page but for Chehalis where we didn't get sewer (and had heard to not expect it), it's sort of shown on their campground map that there are limited sewer sites.

But honestly, I've never been surprised as I always research the parks I go to ahead of time. It's something that's shared via word of mouth and review sites and whatnot.
Again, thanks.
As we ready ourselves for a more 'full time' position, the TT idea has crossed my mind. I suppose once you become part of the 'network' some of these obstacles become a smaller hurdle.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #4271
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I can believe it. They've always been a quirky little park. When they held the spot for us, that was back in 2012 or 2013. I know in 2014 or 2015, they had the manager from hell- screaming at people and causing a big fuss. By 2016, she got the boot and the new lady who came in was friendly to us. But we only stayed there for a short stay in early April- I think it was one of our Tuesday to Saturday stays as we were making our way north.

I'm surprised they could turn people away. I've never delved into my contract deep enough to verify or debunk it, but people claim that you should be able to show up at any TT park unannounced and they give you a place to stay. At Harborview, their parking lot is big enough that they could definitely house a couple of unexpected member rigs in it.

I liked it there- I know others have mixed feelings.

What I don't like is the Harry P. Nice bridge that crosses the Potomac between MD & VA on 301 that I take to get there. That thing is neither hairy nor nice!

Yes, that is the idea... They cannot turn anyone away. But what I have gathered is that might mean your in the overflow. I inquired when I arrived one time and I got the last site in the CG and they told me three more people were still not there who had reservations (I did have reservations). They told me they are supposed to put the show ups in over flow if full... Apparently they did not follow their own rules.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #4272
Always Learning

Quote:
Again, thanks.
As we ready ourselves for a more 'full time' position, the TT idea has crossed my mind. I suppose once you become part of the 'network' some of these obstacles become a smaller hurdle.
It's definitely not for every one, but for us- it works. I think it sounds worse until you use it a couple of a times. Or maybe it's bad and I'm easy (or dumb?!).
Old 02-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #4273

We were with Doc in Harbor View over last Memorial weekend and I was very surprised they called me about a week before to be sure we were still coming and what size rig so they could plan who went where, I was very pleased and impressed. At Sea Pines in NJ they have a sign asking people to pick a site that agrees with their size rig, but we all know how that ends up. We also can plan to arrive on a so called off day so we have a better choice to fit our size rig.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #4274
Kanadian Kamper

It’s getting to the point that it’s not amazing that this thread is way over 4200 replies.

If we were to weed out the entries of anything NOT seen in an RV Park, kinda wonder where we’d be?

IMHO

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD over a 2017 Ford E450
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #4275

Quote:
And, my apologies to those following along at home- didn't mean to derail the thread quite so much!
I forgive you! I was 5 or 6 pages behind on this thread and was about to ask why the title wasn't "Things you discuss when not at the RV park". You might have started the derailment but others kept it going.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #4276
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
A Gold Wing is a Honda Civic that can fall over. A GW trike is a GW that cant fall over.

Ergo, a GW trike is a Honda Civic.

But never mind the trike... How much trailer do you think that goofy hitch ball will support? Must be a total joy to back up any trailer attached to it.

Tim
I wouldn’t call a GoldWing a Honda Civic on 2 wheels. It’s more like an Acura EL! The tail lights look like an Acura. Whatever you want to call it, that motor is bulletproof.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #4277
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
It’s getting to the point that it’s not amazing that this thread is way over 4200 replies.

If we were to weed out the entries of anything NOT seen in an RV Park, kinda wonder where we’d be?

IMHO
Eh, no thread is good or complete until at least one good derailment..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #4278

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Eh, no thread is good or complete until at least one good derailment..
WOW so who's been watching the Olympics?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #4279
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
WOW so who's been watching the Olympics?
Well... Maybe there is time for one more...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #4280

I've came to the conclusion that many of us have a certain amount of ADD (myself included) so conversation that start in one place and rapidly evolve are the norm. I enjoy reading it all and enjoy seeing the comaradery here.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote