Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #8281
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortkid View Post
Hey Cowracer, I had an experience while driving our pumper in a parade , I opened the door to get out and my head was so big it wouldn’t fit out. Lol !!!!
I can relate. Look... if you can ever get the chance to drive a firetruck, I highly recommend it.

We were a rural department with a rather large, spread-out, district. 100% volunteer. We bought a new pumper back in oh... probably '90 or '91, our first ever new truck that wasn't converted from a U-haul or something else. It came with an actual stereo system, and a pretty healthy one at that (It was on a Freightliner chassis).

As I was an engineer, and lived pretty close to the firehouse, I got to drive it a lot. I always had good tunes queued up in the cassette deck. I will say this, responding to a fully-involved mobile home fire, at 3am on a real foggy night which made the emergency lights cast weird beams everywhere, with ZZ Top's "La Grange" blaring on the stereo is a surreal experience I'll never forget.

The chief was cool about it, but he wound up having the stereo taken out because you could hear it in the background when I made my radio calls. LOL.

I always wanted to tiller a ladder truck just once, but I've never gotten the chance. That is a bucket-list item for me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #8282

Spent almost 45 minutes yesterday watching an older couple back a 35-ish foot diesel pusher motor home into a campsite.

I'm not sure what the trouble was, though it appeared that communication was a factor. Incompetence might have played a role as well.

Like many (most?) campgrounds, the sites are arranged in a herringbone pattern, maybe 20 or 30 degrees off of perpendicular to the main road.

They pulled up next to the site and "Ma" jumped out. "Pa" pulled forward and started backing into the site. Throughout the whole process, Ma is wandering back and forth behind the coach and gesticulating randomly with her arms. Pa appears to be ignoring her completely, as he is regularly doing the opposite of what she is signaling.

On the first try, he doesn't cut it hard enough, and he's rolling off into the grassy area on the right. Ma is back there waving wildly and yelling stop, so he proceeds another 10 or 12 feet. He decides to pull forward. But instead of pulling straight out, across the road, so that he can get a better angle on it, he pulls all the way out and tries again.

Repeat 2x.

Finally seems to realize that he needs more steering input, but this time he waits till much later to start his turn and then cranks it to the lock. He manages to get it on the gravel, but he is diagonal across the pad, with his front tires on the grass.

Repeat 2 *more* times.

Eventually he gets more or less all in the gravel, though he is still perpendicular to the road and diagonal across the pad. He backs up until the rear of the coach is at the end of the pad - and stops there. Ma walks up to his window, and a discussion apparently ensues. Ma walks to the back, checks clearances, and signals for him to continue backing.

So Pa pulls forward.

Repeat 3x.

When they finally parked it, they had the back wheels of the coach right at the end of the gravel pad, the tail hanging out over a small ditch, and at least 30 feet of unused space between the nose of the coach and the road. And still diagonal across the pad. They didn't put any levelers out, so they are nose-high and curb-side high.

Oh - and they had one of those "back-up-beepers" installed, so the whole process sounded like they were maneuvering a dump truck over there.

I had other things to do, but I stood at our window and watched the whole process. Like a slow motion train wreck...

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #8283
Kanadian Kamper

That’s why they book for 2 nights.
The first night is all used up just getting positioned.
Imagine if they had a trailer or 5th wheel unit.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #8284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Spent almost 45 minutes yesterday watching an older couple back a 35-ish foot diesel pusher motor home into a campsite.

I'm not sure what the trouble was, though it appeared that communication was a factor. Incompetence might have played a role as well.

Like many (most?) campgrounds, the sites are arranged in a herringbone pattern, maybe 20 or 30 degrees off of perpendicular to the main road.

They pulled up next to the site and "Ma" jumped out. "Pa" pulled forward and started backing into the site. Throughout the whole process, Ma is wandering back and forth behind the coach and gesticulating randomly with her arms. Pa appears to be ignoring her completely, as he is regularly doing the opposite of what she is signaling.

On the first try, he doesn't cut it hard enough, and he's rolling off into the grassy area on the right. Ma is back there waving wildly and yelling stop, so he proceeds another 10 or 12 feet. He decides to pull forward. But instead of pulling straight out, across the road, so that he can get a better angle on it, he pulls all the way out and tries again.

Repeat 2x.

Finally seems to realize that he needs more steering input, but this time he waits till much later to start his turn and then cranks it to the lock. He manages to get it on the gravel, but he is diagonal across the pad, with his front tires on the grass.

Repeat 2 *more* times.

Eventually he gets more or less all in the gravel, though he is still perpendicular to the road and diagonal across the pad. He backs up until the rear of the coach is at the end of the pad - and stops there. Ma walks up to his window, and a discussion apparently ensues. Ma walks to the back, checks clearances, and signals for him to continue backing.

So Pa pulls forward.

Repeat 3x.

When they finally parked it, they had the back wheels of the coach right at the end of the gravel pad, the tail hanging out over a small ditch, and at least 30 feet of unused space between the nose of the coach and the road. And still diagonal across the pad. They didn't put any levelers out, so they are nose-high and curb-side high.

Oh - and they had one of those "back-up-beepers" installed, so the whole process sounded like they were maneuvering a dump truck over there.

I had other things to do, but I stood at our window and watched the whole process. Like a slow motion train wreck...

It could have been their first time. We were all there once.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #8285
Site Team

Wife and I rode in that to the steak house a few years ago. No I didn't order the 72 is steak. [emoji2961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
This is one of 14 limos the Big Texan steak house has. They all have the horns and picked us up and delivered us back for the price of tips. Great place to visit in Amarillo.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #8286

Reading qwkenuf's post reminded me of another incident.
DW's step father thinks he is as good as an experienced long haul trucker when it comes to putting a 5er in a spot. Not quite says I.
He once pulled his truck and big Montana forward into the spot across from his to back in easier. Fair enough idea as it was vacant. We had been there over 50 times as had he and we were both well aware of the 8X8 posts buried 6 feet deep at each site to mark that particular site and standing about 18 inches above ground.
No problem says he as he drives right over it. I still don't know how he didn't damage his 06 DM 4X4 but he did manage to get the Montana hung up with that post in between the axles. Again with no damage as the front axle laid the post over a bit as the first one passed.
At that point he realized that something was wrong. so he stops. Several guys come running over to help (we were running behind them about an hour) and one went back and got a shovel.
They spent about an hour digging that post out far enough while laying under the 5er so that he could free himself.
My DW has the annoying habit of talking on the phone to the person we are going to see in 30 minutes but this time I was glad because I got to hear all about it before we got there. I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard. He does stuff like this all the time.
When we pull in he won't even come out to see us he was so embarrassed. I didn't pick on him the next morning but I laughed again when I put the dog out while the dew was still on the grass. There for the world and my camera to see were his tracks over the now straightened out pole.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #8287

Cowracer, I was a FFr for 35 years and I tillered a ladder truck for a while. We called her the Big Stick. I loved it except for the leaves in the face when driving on some streets. lol. It was always fun having the tractor on one side of the road and the rear end on the other when returning to the Firehall. It was also great to have a driver who knew how to drive because when you had a good driver you hardly had to turn the steering wheel at the back end.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #8288

Cowracer,back in the 50's our VFD carnival would hire a Guy that converted a Hook & Ladder truck into a "RIDE" seats down both sides and they would go Sideways down the Road and Streets! Man what a Ride! Youroo!!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #8289

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Cowracer,back in the 50's our VFD carnival would hire a Guy that converted a Hook & Ladder truck into a "RIDE" seats down both sides and they would go Sideways down the Road and Streets! Man what a Ride! Youroo!!
Now that sounds really fun but I bet it would never happen now a days. Youroo seeing how old you are how did they get the horses to run that fast

I know I will be in trouble for that comment but I just could not resist. You know we love you Gary
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #8290
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
It was always fun having the tractor on one side of the road and the rear end on the other
Now we got snowplows that do that...

And if one 'deploys' in front of you, you will toss out the big anchor thinking he just had a catastrophic trailer axle failure. Its quite freaky.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #8291

It also was a lot of fun trying to get the back end to pass the font end
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #8292

First time I tried to back our brand new TT into a camping spot was a nightmare of my making. Now, DW and I did practice in the yard but CG’s are more stressful, everybody is watching.
I had a 10 acre campsite but adrenaline and excitement was high. After several tries, me and DW just not communicating very well, a campground worker came over to help. Finally he walks up to my window and asked if he could park it, Hell, I ain’t proud. Let him slip it in without issue. We did finally get better over the years in parking and communication.

Speaking of snowplows, I live in SC and do not really have snowplows.
I was working in Green Bay and had to drive back to Milwaukee after a huge blizzard that had hit the area. Remember, SC. The interstate was clear but I was worried about slick spots. I was moving at around 40mph getting passed by everyone. Now, I was in the right lane not wanting to hold up traffic.
All of a sudden, I get passed by a snowplow on the right apron. He was pushing snow at 60+mph and dumping salt from the spreader.
Holy Crap, these boys don’t play. I might be going too slow. Really peppered the car with rock salt. Glad it was a rental.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #8293

Saw this Kenworth with an Airsteam on it, at Tumbler Ridge Geopark south west of Dawson Creek BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	226164  
scottp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #8294

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp56 View Post
Saw this Kenworth with an Airsteam on it, at Tumbler Ridge Geopark south west of Dawson Creek BC
Not enough truck!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #8295
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Watch that first step. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #8296
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
An original Super C. Dynamax prototype?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #8297

looks like something out of an apocalyptic movie
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #8298

Yeah but it’s got a ton of basement storage. Look at all those boxes. Wonder how deep they are.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #8299
Broken Toe

Quote:

That is about 90% of the way to being really cool. The seam between the camper body and the boxes is about the only place I would have to modify it to make it more finished looking.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 04-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #8300

I wonder how they get that car.off of there, LOL.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_160539.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	226206