Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 PM   #8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Is that a 5th wheel or gooseneck conversion??
Pete
It looks to be goosneck.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #8842
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Is that a 5th wheel or gooseneck conversion??
Pete
Probably gooseneck. I talked to him yesterday at a distance from the rig. Today I rode by on my bicycle and took this pic from the street.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 PM   #8843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Oh, look! Heres something I actually saw in an RV park.
This gentleman bought and installed an apparatus to convert his bumper pull trailer to function as a 5th wheel. He said it was manufactured by a company in Houston, Texas.

I wonder how that compares to a Propride...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #8844
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
electric is "attached to the Grid" that is bad
electric can cause comfort, that is bad.

but if you milk cows for drinking milk, you can't milk by hand so you need electric for machines and pasteurization . that electric comes from a generator.

in the 70-and 80's Amish contractors had phones installed in a box outside the house, "call me at 6:00 AM to talk to me about work" That phone was "attached to the grid". But its out of the home and required to make money, that is OK.
cell phone is not "attached to the Grid", that is OK.

I used to get a kick out of the kids using GPS in the buggy. come on now, they have a range of maybe 10 miles, and they have been over those same 10 miles over and over, and they need a GPS?
We're now seeing a lot of Amish homes with solar panels for capturing their own electricity.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #8845

We were using TT for a year we arrived riding the ranger cart looking for a long enough site. We saw another Berkshire had just pulled out of one and said we wanted it. I got the Jeep and my hubby followed along with the coach. I park the Jeep and check out the site. He needs very little direction. Id noticed the couple next door came out. I think theyd gotten more of a show from the coach that had just left. Our Berkshire went in quickly and quietly. Think we disappointed them
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #8846

I guess the portable tank was a bit heavy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210607_103004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	256952  
Old 06-14-2021, 12:11 AM   #8847

I can see a guy buying a 350/3500 to pull a trailer that could easily be pulled with a 150/1500 - but this takes overkill to another level entirely.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #8848

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
I can see a guy buying a 350/3500 to pull a trailer that could easily be pulled with a 150/1500 - but this takes overkill to another level entirely.
agreed... you would think if it was really that heavy he would have a 5th wheel hitch on that tank...
Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #8849
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
agreed... you would think if it was really that heavy he would have a 5th wheel hitch on that tank...
or he could buy a small truck just to drag his sewer tank to the dump station.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #8850

"Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
electric is "attached to the Grid" that is bad
electric can cause comfort, that is bad.

but if you milk cows for drinking milk, you can't milk by hand so you need electric for machines and pasteurization . that electric comes from a generator."

LOL ... and just exactly how do you think cows were milked before the REA ran electric lines to the farm and ranches across the country? That didn't happen until the mid-50's in this area.

Grew up on a farm and we milked cows by hand for drinking and never had an electric 'milking machine'.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #8851
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
or he could buy a small truck just to drag his sewer tank to the dump station.
I have that same tank. It does get pretty heavy when it's full.

40 gallons * 8.34 = 333.6 lbs.

I use my golf cart but sometimes you just have to use whatever you have...
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #8852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
"Originally Posted by TowPro

LOL ... and just exactly how do you think cows were milked before the REA ran electric lines to the farm and ranches across the country? That didn't happen until the mid-50's in this area.

Grew up on a farm and we milked cows by hand for drinking and never had an electric 'milking machine'.
If you milk by hand the product can only be used in cheese. I suspect it was different in 50s. I was not around than.
Neither was 90% of the laws they made to protect us
Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #8853

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
I guess the portable tank was a bit heavy...

Kind of looks like that truck has some tail squat, must be a really heavy "load".
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #8854

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Kind of looks like that truck has some tail squat, must be a really heavy "load".
Yeah, there's a lot of crap on the back

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #8855

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
If you milk by hand the product can only be used in cheese. I suspect it was different in 50s. I was not around than.
Neither was 90% of the laws they made to protect us
NEVER sold the milk.

Fresh whole milk was kept in the frig. for family consumption. The balance was run thru a separator that separated the cream from the milk.

The separated milk was fed to the barn cats and sucking calves.

The cream (and excess eggs) were taken to town and sold to one or two grocery stores that purchased cream and eggs...usually once a week. Used to be a common thing years ago.

The unused skim milk that turned sour was fed to the turkeys, ducks ad chickens that ate it up like candy. Nothing went to waste.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #8856
Just as confused as you

Quote:
NEVER sold the milk.

Fresh whole milk was kept in the frig. for family consumption. The balance was run thru a separator that separated the cream from the milk.

The separated milk was fed to the barn cats and sucking calves.

The cream (and excess eggs) were taken to town and sold to one or two grocery stores that purchased cream and eggs...usually once a week. Used to be a common thing years ago.

The unused skim milk that turned sour was fed to the turkeys, ducks ad chickens that ate it up like candy. Nothing went to waste.
While growing up in the late 50's early 60's we had 2 milk cows on the farm. Grandpa would milk them in the mornings, dad milked them in the evenings. The milk was mainly used for consumption by our family of 9 after the cream was separated. About once a week Mom and us kids would churn the butter and buttermilk, make curds and whey (aka cottage cheese). About once a month during summer we got treated to fresh homemade ice cream. We also raised our own chickens for eggs and meat, abandoned / motherless calves for beef.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #8857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
While growing up in the late 50's early 60's we had 2 milk cows on the farm. Grandpa would milk them in the mornings, dad milked them in the evenings. The milk was mainly used for consumption by our family of 9 after the cream was separated. About once a week Mom and us kids would churn the butter and buttermilk, make curds and whey (aka cottage cheese). About once a month during summer we got treated to fresh homemade ice cream. We also raised our own chickens for eggs and meat, abandoned / motherless calves for beef.
Not at all unlike my time growing up on the farm. Milk morning and evening. Butter was 'homemade' like yours - don't think tried 'store bought margarine' until near the mid - 60's & never much cared for it so have always used real butter, store bought now of course. Never could stomach buttermilk or cottage cheese. Home made ice cream in a hand crank ice cream maker only in the winter when ice was available that we chopped out of the slough. Butchered a cow every fall along with about 100 chickens - meat for the year. And raised a big garden plus a potato plot so never bought spuds with 8 in the family. And always home made bread, rolls.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #8858

Quote:
Not at all unlike my time growing up on the farm. Milk morning and evening. Butter was 'homemade' like yours - don't think tried 'store bought margarine' until near the mid - 60's & never much cared for it so have always used real butter, store bought now of course. Never could stomach buttermilk or cottage cheese. Home made ice cream in a hand crank ice cream maker only in the winter when ice was available that we chopped out of the slough. Butchered a cow every fall along with about 100 chickens - meat for the year. And raised a big garden plus a potato plot so never bought spuds with 8 in the family. And always home made bread, rolls.

And life was good.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 06-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #8859
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And life was good.
Nothing tastes better than a cold glass of buttermilk on a hot summer day. The only part I didn't like with the garden was weeding, but the tomato fights were fun and last until the spoiled ones were gone or we got caught.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #8860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Nothing tastes better than a cold glass of buttermilk on a hot summer day. The only part I didn't like with the garden was weeding, but the tomato fights were fun and last until the spoiled ones were gone or we got caught.
Strawberries were fun like that too.

2004 Nissan Titan