Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #41

Lost a WDH shank and head parked at a Walmart in Albuquerque. I was helping a friend move some furniture with a low boy trailer. Went to Walmart afterward to get some groceries. It was secured with a locking hitch bolt through the receiver and hitch. Either someone picked it or cut it. No damage to the receiver or scratches. Still have the original round 1000# spring bars. I hope one of them dropped it on their foot.

I now remove any hitches or periferals (spring bars, friction anti-sway bars) and store them in a secure box in the bed under a locked hard tonneau cover.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #42

I had one of the propane pigtails removed and replaced with a defective one. The propane tanks were only partially full when I put the trailer into storage. Who ever took the pigtail also took a almost empty propane tank and left a new one that was full.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #43

Someone stole my portable waste tank while we were away from the camper. Now I use a bicycle lock to lock it to the trailer. Live and learn.
bill.lewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I too disagree.

Face it, ANY lock that's secured in an RV door by just two flat's on the side, in the material used in RV doors, is by design insecure. Jab a screwdriver into the lock mechanism and with a pair of pliers merely rotate the whole lock as you would if the key was inserted. Unless someone installs a backer plate that the lock fits into snugly and extends the width of the door, there is no secure lock.

As I said in my post, at least the locks don't accept the same key that EVERYONE got when they took delivery of their trailer.
Yep ... locks are for honest people ... I tell everyone the same thing it is easy to get in but a pain to get out!!
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #45

A few years back we ARRIVED at a campground in Canada after a 450 mile day to find the receiver hitch pin missing. That is a 2-person check confirmation item. Don't know how long it was gone but the draw bar had only moved out about 1/4 in.

DW wondered why I would carry a spare for such a thing. I wondered why I didn't put the spare (locking) pin in first.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
A few years back we ARRIVED at a campground in Canada after a 450 mile day to find the receiver hitch pin missing. That is a 2-person check confirmation item. Don't know how long it was gone but the draw bar had only moved out about 1/4 in.
That's not really someone stealing-- more of an attempted assault and just plain meanness!
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #47

A buddy had the drawbar come out of the tow vehicle while he was towing the trailer. Happened on the long entrance road to an Ohio state park after about a 40 mile drive. Have no idea how but the pin and safety clip was gone. I was camping that same weekend and it took us a good 45 minutes with a floor jack and other "just happened to have" tools to get the WDH back in the truck's receiver. (I don't suspect vandalism in this case but it's always a threat so I check every connection before we leave and after any stop.)

I've always used a locking pin on the drawbar. He does too. Now.

Locks even on your home only deter honest folks or target of opportunity thieves. The don't deter those with hydraulic bolt cutters and power tools. Videos abound of thieves breaking into expensive "gun safes" just cutting into the side or back and ignoring the "fort knox" door.

-- Chuck
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in michigan View Post
Not an rv thief story but a weird story...
One time I left my truck at a friends house. When I came back I turned the key and nothing, opened the hood to find the wires to the starter cut and the starter gone.
Who steals starters?????
Greg in Michigan
I suspect someone that is in need of a starter, lol. But that is a strange occurrence for sure.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi n Pop View Post
I'm thinking about buying a surge protector? They sure look easy to steal. Do most people use these? Or am I asking for an $80 device to just get stolen?
We have one with a chain and lock on it. Sure it isnt fool proof, but would be pretty hard to walk away with it in a campground without someone noticing. We have gotten some strange looks occasionally, and sometimes a question like "where do you camp that you feel you need that?". Which I get, but you never know anymore. Most campgrounds are such that anyone from the local meth lab can just walk in in the very early morning hours. And the victims may be 100s of miles away before they notice their (insert) is missing. Certainly some things will be obvious very quickly, but others not so much.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Videos abound of thieves breaking into expensive "gun safes" just cutting into the side or back and ignoring the "fort knox" door.

-- Chuck
That's why you install them in a corner of a garage where two sides are protected and there's a nice thick concrete floor to bolt it to. Then just put a simple "dry stacked" cinder block wall on the remaining side, filling cores with concrete mixed from sacks.

When it comes to securing items of value, especially in or on RV's you want to make it as difficult as possible for people to steal them. At best all that you're going to do is force the thief to take a lot of time, in which they are more likely to be discovered, or make a lot of noise (grinding, pounding, etc) that will make their activities more noticeable.

Alarm systems are a good deterrent too. For RV's there's no need for "fancy", the old fashioned "car door door switch" type system can work great. Just a single "loop" of wire with a car door switch at each compartment door and grounded to the frame. A simple relay with outside mounted arming switch, and of course a loud bell, horn, or siren. Open the door when alarm is set and just like in your car, the circuit is closed and instead of a light going on, you start making a lot of noise. Noise is a thief's worst enemy (next to a nasty doo).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #51

Quote:
That's why you install them in a corner of a garage where two sides are protected and there's a nice thick concrete floor to bolt it to. Then just put a simple "dry stacked" cinder block wall on the remaining side, filling cores with concrete mixed from sacks.

When it comes to securing items of value, especially in or on RV's you want to make it as difficult as possible for people to steal them. At best all that you're going to do is force the thief to take a lot of time, in which they are more likely to be discovered, or make a lot of noise (grinding, pounding, etc) that will make their activities more noticeable.

Alarm systems are a good deterrent too. For RV's there's no need for "fancy", the old fashioned "car door door switch" type system can work great. Just a single "loop" of wire with a car door switch at each compartment door and grounded to the frame. A simple relay with outside mounted arming switch, and of course a loud bell, horn, or siren. Open the door when alarm is set and just like in your car, the circuit is closed and instead of a light going on, you start making a lot of noise. Noise is a thief's worst enemy (next to a nasty doo).

A cheep motion detector battery operated with remote would do the trick too.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I had one of the propane pigtails removed and replaced with a defective one. The propane tanks were only partially full when I put the trailer into storage. Who ever took the pigtail also took a almost empty propane tank and left a new one that was full.
A very considerate and thoughtful thief.

Bruce
Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #53

Some low life stole our spare tire - bumper mount and all. Didn't discover it was gone until I had a flat tire later that day. Thank goodness for Coachnet - they saved the day.
bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #54

Stab jack switch

Stolen while on storage lot.
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #55

Quote:
I had two Group 31 deep cycle batteries stolen from my trailer while parked on it's pad in my back yard. Not more than a week old.

Since then nothing. But now I have a cable locks on the propane tanks (locks hold down mechanism), spare tire, and two on the bumper mounted generator.

I also changed ALL of the compartment doors from the common lock that everyone has a key for to tubular locks with a totally unique key.

Truck also has a hard tonneau cover with locking tailgate.

We now live in a society where people prowl EVERYWHERE looking for the easy score, something of value not secured. Most are stealing to support their drug habit.

Perhaps it's time to just hand out drugs to these addicts for free. First, no worries about them having to steal to support the habit and for many it will just cure society's problem.

It's time to just declare the war on drugs a total loss and let "nature take it's course".
Can you show us the locks you used to change over. Doesn't make much sense to count on the locks that everyone has a key to. (CH751). Did these new locks fit in the newer thicker doors. I have had trouble finding locks to fit the doors on my Crusader.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
Stolen while on storage lot.
Storage lots are the worst place. Parked my trailer for a sale with permission of the owner, put a new battery in to make it a better sale; showed the trailer and the new battery and was extremely red faced it was missing the next day. 7 gallon propane tank stolen from my driveway storage. Empty left behind. Chained it to the frame and in 2 weeks they cut the chain and tried to steal it again. The TT is now behind the fence and no problems. No problems in a CG but I have learned to put things under lock and key while camping. What would you do if your trailer hitch gets ripped off while stored under your tongue of the trailer? How the heck are you going to get home? Better safe than sorry.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #57

i haven't yet but my spare tire, propane tanks have a cable around them, tongue lock installed, cable my hitch when at a CG, cheap alarm system i installed. i watched you tube videos of guys knocking off tongue locks with a hammer and i'm sure the cables can be cut but at least it will slow them down and make allot of noise in the process, my insurance might see my side if i at least try and protect my stuff
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #58

One neighborhood had several propane tanks stolen from BBQ grills kept outside. During deer season someone noticed an old camper off a logging road not used in years. There were many propane tanks scattered about and 4 standing. I heard it was a 30-06 that 'accidently' hit one of the standing tanks. Never any problems for miles around that neighborhood.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
A buddy had the drawbar come out of the tow vehicle while he was towing the trailer. Happened on the long entrance road to an Ohio state park after about a 40 mile drive. Have no idea how but the pin and safety clip was gone. I was camping that same weekend and it took us a good 45 minutes with a floor jack and other "just happened to have" tools to get the WDH back in the truck's receiver. (I don't suspect vandalism in this case but it's always a threat so I check every connection before we leave and after any stop.)

I've always used a locking pin on the drawbar. He does too. Now.

Locks even on your home only deter honest folks or target of opportunity thieves. The don't deter those with hydraulic bolt cutters and power tools. Videos abound of thieves breaking into expensive "gun safes" just cutting into the side or back and ignoring the "fort knox" door.

-- Chuck
where in Ohio, thats where i live
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
i haven't yet but my spare tire, propane tanks have a cable around them, tongue lock installed, cable my hitch when at a CG, cheap alarm system i installed. i watched you tube videos of guys knocking off tongue locks with a hammer and i'm sure the cables can be cut but at least it will slow them down and make allot of noise in the process, my insurance might see my side if i at least try and protect my stuff

You're right, anything you can do to act as a deterrent to theft will work for you in an insurance claim. My RV storage lot had new fencing put in with new electric gates, noticed that they didn't put back the Razor Wire or Barbed Wire when they put in the new fence. Guess why? They don't want the liability if somebody tries to climb it and gets injured so they would prefer that the thieves steal stuff and shift the liability and loss from them to the tenant. Nice ain't it.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer